Treasure Sleeping in The Sand in full Score

Started by TooFarGann, March 23, 2016, 05:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TooFarGann

Here is the transcription I have notated in full score. I believe this is the only transcription on the web, with the exception of a midi file on an obscure website that was so awfully inaccurate that neither pitch, rhythm nor meter was even close. What do you think? Anybody up for arranging it for piano? the file is .mscz (Musescore). No need to download it though, you can just play it from their website. https://musescore.com/user/8536921/scores/1913951

Olimar12345

Pretty cool! My only suggestion would be to try to give the note groupings a bit more attention, especially in the 11/8 bar where the accompaniment is grouped into segments and the melodic eighth notes are all beamed together. Neat though!
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

TooFarGann

Thanks Captain! I forgot MuseScore doesn't know how to divide up asymmetrical meters on it's own.  ;)

Th3Gavst3r

Noticed for most of the 7/8 you marked measure-long notes as dotted-half tied to eighth, but switched to double-dotted halves in measure 111. I think the common notation for a "whole measure" of note/rest is actually a whole note regardless of time signature, but what you've got seems inconsistent at least.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on March 23, 2016, 07:44:51 PMI think the common notation for a "whole measure" of note/rest is actually a whole note regardless of time signature, but what you've got seems inconsistent at least.

I think that's only for empty measures and whole rests. I haven't seen anyone write like that before.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

TooFarGann

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on March 23, 2016, 07:44:51 PMNoticed for most of the 7/8 you marked measure-long notes as dotted-half tied to eighth, but switched to double-dotted halves in measure 111. I think the common notation for a "whole measure" of note/rest is actually a whole note regardless of time signature, but what you've got seems inconsistent at least.
My professors never accepted the "whole note" for some reason. IMO It is pretty much interchangeable however; such notational syntax is rather the least of my worries for this particular project. 

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Olimar12345 on March 23, 2016, 07:49:40 PMI think that's only for empty measures and whole rests. I haven't seen anyone write like that before.
Yeah every time I've asked someone they've really hesitantly said both, but I agree that using the practice for actual notes feels weird... Wikipedia seems to agree with using rests only, but there's a bit of an argument in the discussion. I've been looking everywhere for a better citation, but all I can find are people talking about what they've been taught in the past, mentioning they remember a few pieces using it but they can't remember which. I guess it's just a matter of rare preference at this point...

Syntax aside, this really is a well-transcribed piece. I hope you have more to share!