Console: PC
Title: Don't Go
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Don Valentino

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sebastian

Ah, I love this song.
I'll see what feedback I can get in later today.

Olimar12345

You're missing a big Bb in octaves in the LH beat 4 measure 6 & 18. Also, there's quite an active bass that you're missing through measures 9-16.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

DonValentino

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 10, 2016, 12:36:08 PMYou're missing a big Bb in octaves in the LH beat 4 measure 6 & 18.

O.o There is?? You sure it's not that thingy in the background, same with 9-16?

Edit: I think I hear something in 9-16, but isn't that just eighths that repeat the lower note of the octave? Still don't hear any big Bb in octaves in 6/18 though...

Olimar12345

There's also a bass in the intro. I can show you, hang on..

Edit: Okay, [here's] what I'm talking about. If you can't hear this line, crank the bass or something. imo it might work better with just the lower octave playing the E.B.'s part with the top octave of what you had floating above, but I just made it octaves to show you what I was referring to.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

DonValentino

Oh but what you're meaning is the synth part, you should have said that earlier lol
I though you were referring to the piano itself d:

Yeaahh, well... Thing is I only included the piano part and I honestly think is more than enough. Adding the synth in some parts like in the sheet you kindly provided would also be the possibility, but I think that even if the Bb's aren't doubled, it distracts too much from the main structure marked by the piano. All in all, the piece grants the piano so much relevance that anything else is just "worthless" filling to better create a melancholic atmosphere.

That in first place. Aside from that, those Bb's you talk about aren't really in the bass, but what you hear there is just the result of the echo of the previous Bb the RH plays. In any case, a Bb could be added as below:

However, its inclusion could also be debatable since there's the ambiguity that if note is really there or if it's just the echo from the previous Bb. In my opinion, I'd just not include since the pedal is already long and heavy enough, and repeating the Bb would be giving it too much importance and resonance, which should be focused towards the upper part (the melody line).

Regarding the next section, the inclusion of the synth like you did in m. 10 would be indeed possible, but again, the melody should be emphasized as much as possible. But what's more,

Even if you indeed relegated the synth to the bottom line as you suggested, such a low Eb would be too dissonant (I invite you to try it, sounds truly awful!), specially given that the pedal is sustained since the very beginning of 11 (Same goes to the F). On top of that, the piano plays undoubtedly a well emphasized and clear Db which imo shouldn't be diffused. You could say that the pedal could be per measure, but it would break the phrasing and reduce a lot the echo-y effect of the song.

Again, it would be possible, but the goal is not to add every and all parts and sounds that can be heard in a song, but making it suitable for piano. That is, arranging it so it reflects at the same time the phrasing clarity of the original (just the really important and characteristic parts/voices) while having that ghostly feeling (aka pedal). You can't put everything since it would make it unclear with the pedal, but you can't reduce the pedal a lot more either. What I have is, I think, the most preferable balance between the two premises.

Maybe it's because I'm a pianist why I have a better perception of this stuff, but dunno... I explained this hopefully as better as I could, but feel free to reply and disagree with anything of the above though.

Olimar12345

Quote from: DonValentino on January 12, 2016, 06:01:28 AMOh but what you're meaning is the synth part, you should have said that earlier lol

99.99999999999999% of VG music uses synthesized sound fonts. Calling it the bass voice (as I did) should have been more than enough because A) it is the lowest voice and B) it is the sound of an electric bass. -______-

The Bb's are not echoes, for two major reasons: 1) an echo occurs to a lesser degree than the original articulation, where as this one is louder and 2) it occurs in a different voice than the preceding Bb, both in register and timbre. (Might be time to upgrade your headphones?)

I'm not really buying your argument to leave the bass out throughout the rest of the piece. While adding all possible voices is not always optimal or possible, this instance gives me no reasonable reasoning for a voice as important as the bass to be left out. Like I said above, it doesn't have to be in the barbaric octaves that I put in my version of the file, but it should be present in some form. The LH is literally doing nothing but whole notes, so it's not like you're making it impossible with the inclusion of them. Emphasizing the melody comes from the pianist, not the midi file. If it really bothers you that much, you should write a note for the pianist, instructing them on how you would like them to play the piece.

DonValentino

Sebastian

Wow, much better!
Quick question: Are pictures allowed in the sheets that will be on the Main Site?

Sebastian

I thought Jamaha got in trouble for that once. Ah, well.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bespinben.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot