E. Gadd's Word of the Week & Others' Interpretations of Said Word™️

Started by E. Gadd Industries, January 03, 2016, 12:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

7/18/16 Wushu (n.)- Chinese martial arts

Finally! I'm getting back to SOME regularity in my schedule
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

7/19/16 Hawkshaw (n.)- detective
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

7/20/16 Overweening (adj.)- 1. Arrogant, presumptuous  2. Immoderate, exaggerated
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

7/21/16 Mangonel (n.)- (formerly) any of various military engines for throwing large stones, darts, and other missiles
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dudeman

So, trebuchets and catapults.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

BlackDragonSlayer

Or a blowgun, I guess, considering "darts" is also part of the definition.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Maelstrom

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on July 21, 2016, 08:34:37 PMOr a blowgun, I guess, considering "darts" is also part of the definition.
Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on July 21, 2016, 04:36:43 PM7/21/16 Mangonel (n.)- (formerly) any of various military engines for throwing large stones, darts, and other missiles

BlackDragonSlayer

I believe it's "(large stones), (darts), and (other missiles)," not "large (stones), (darts), and (other missiles)," especially because darts are, by definition, small. That being said, I assumed the inclusion of "darts" in the definition is at least somewhat erroneous.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Bloop

I can't really find a definite source for darts, but it seems that a lot of things were used for the mangonel. It's principal goal was to damage castle or fortress walls, so darts seem unlikely, but there have been cases where dead bodies where thrown to the enemy to intimidate and demoralize them, and also to spread disease amongst them.

E. Gadd Industries

All I'm going to say is that I use Library of Babel to generate the random word for me, and I go to dictionary.com to define it. If it can't, I look elsewhere. But imo, it looks like a mangonel was a term used to describe a wide range of machine, all of which being capable of shooting projectiles on some scale or other. So anything from a blowgun to a trebuchet & catapult.

7/22/16 Gogga (n.)- (South African)(informal) any small animal that crawls or flies, especially an insect
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

mikey

Quote from: Bloop on July 21, 2016, 11:20:13 PMbut there have been cases where dead bodies where thrown to the enemy to intimidate and demoralize them, and also to spread disease amongst them.
this is how the black plague started
thanks mongolians
unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on July 22, 2016, 04:44:04 AMAll I'm going to say is that I use Library of Babel to generate the random word for me, and I go to dictionary.com to define it.
Wait, I thought you were using a calendar?
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

E. Gadd Industries

I was. But the words got more boring than they already were. So I switched to Library of Babel. There are words there that I never thought could possibly exist. And some that I really regret looking up the definitions for o_O
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

7/23/16 Unillumed (adj.)- unlit, not illuminated

This is actually the archaic version of "unilluminated". It was used around the 16th Century and pretty much died out.
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]