[NDS] Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 - "Raymond Shields ~ Joking Motive" by Altissim

Started by Zeta, December 02, 2015, 09:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

Quote from: Onionleaf on January 09, 2016, 05:09:13 PMSo groovy! You've done so much work on this, I hope it'll be approved for you soon. :)

me too, it's been in submission for like a month lol

Quote-It would be awesome to add the glissando in m. 56, to add some extra flare! You can use the glissando tool for that (the same one you use for arpeggiation, located in the Smart Shape toolbar). I'm not quite sure how to alter its Playback to make the run sound how you want it to, but maybe someone else can help you with that. :) It should look something like this (see below), but as I've never used them this way before, don't copy me, lol!

I FOUND A WAY TO PUT IT IN IT DOESN'T SOUND TERRIFIC BUT IT WORKS OK

Quote-You might like to check those chords in m. 26-27 again, to me it sounds like the chord needs to be more "jazzy". Not quite sure what it needs to look like at the moment, sorry I can't be of much help.

I'm pretty sure you're not wrong... more specifically I think what I had notated as Fmaj in m. 25/26 is actually Fmaj7 and the E chord (which jumps between major and minor) in m. 27 actually contains the minor 7th D. I think. I'm really damn bad with harmonies lol

Quote-You might like to listen through the track again and see if the trumpet voice that crops up occasionally (for example, in m. 7-8) could be added in other places as well.

What I've left out is pretty deliberate... I really don't want to compromise the feel of the trumpet line by messing around with its octave too much but most of the time it's not really playable alongside the melody. Plus, this way the piece retains a pretty consistent singular melody feel, which I like. If others think the extra trumpet lines would enhance it though I'll probably go ahead and see if I can add them in. But I just don't think it's right to mess with the octaves of the melody or countermelody, it screws up the feel D:

Quote-I see what you mean about the playability in the left hand in measures 41-44. You could try lowering the chords a bit or play the highest note in the chord with the right hand. Here's what I mean, but you can experiment with it more and see what sounds best:

you have a very good point, i've done some octave adjustments to that section

Quote-Finally, change the dotted half rest in m. 40 to a half rest + a quarter rest.

I don't know that that's actually technically musically incorrect - a dotted half note can obviously cross the "mid-measure bar line", so theoretically a dotted half rest should be able to, but idk - but changed it anyway, it does look nicer that way.

QuoteHopefully someone with a bit more experience will stop on by to review your sheet, but I'm really liking it so far!

I HOPE SO TOO THANK YOU FOR THE COMMENTS.

Anyway I've incorporated all the changes - I'm pretty sure this version is objectively better than the original so I've replaced it. But if anyone wants comparison, here are the ORIGINAL update files:

MUS / MID / PDF

list of differences, for comparison's sake
Original squished for 4 pages, new one 5 pages

Fixed some formatting issues (accidentally put copyright symbol as @ in original; title missing)

LH for the vast majority of the piece (excepting 1st 3 measures and repetitions thereof; m. 40; m. 45-47) raised up an octave from original to new version

Glissando added in m. 56. The melody is moved to the LH, which plays the lower bass (its octaves moved around a bit for playability reasons; the original had ascending AA - BB - CC - EE starting on the first space A).

Chords in m. 41-44 lowered an octave to help with playability. This is after the octave raise they got from the earlier point, so the chords are in the same octave as the original but the single notes are up an octave; everything's closer together as a result.

Chord in m. 25-26 (and its recurrence at 61-62) changed from F to Fmaj7. Chord in 27 (and the first beat of 28; and its recurrence at 63) changed from the current vacillation between Emin and Emaj to a vacillation between Emin7 and E7. This may be incorrect.

All musical and formatting issues listed in the OP, except for the mention of wanting to incorporate the m. 56 gliss, are still present in the current version.
[close]

I wonder if this huge amount of complexity isn't part of the reason it hasn't been accepted or really looked at yet...

Onionleaf

Quote from: Altissimo on January 09, 2016, 06:24:12 PMI FOUND A WAY TO PUT IT IN IT DOESN'T SOUND TERRIFIC BUT IT WORKS OK

^5's! I have no idea how to make it sound neater, but that's a good start!

Quote from: Altissimo on January 09, 2016, 06:24:12 PMWhat I've left out is pretty deliberate... I really don't want to compromise the feel of the trumpet line by messing around with its octave too much but most of the time it's not really playable alongside the melody. Plus, this way the piece retains a pretty consistent singular melody feel, which I like. If others think the extra trumpet lines would enhance it though I'll probably go ahead and see if I can add them in. But I just don't think it's right to mess with the octaves of the melody or countermelody, it screws up the feel D:

Fair point! I just thought if that voice has already been added in one measure, it could be added somewhere else as well. However, it also sounds really good as it is atm.

Quote from: Altissimo on January 09, 2016, 06:24:12 PMI wonder if this huge amount of complexity isn't part of the reason it hasn't been accepted or really looked at yet...

There are a lot of things that need to be double-checked, and with a 5-page-long arrangement such as this one, I'm guessing it would take some time to go through the process. You'll get there, don't worry!

Altissimo

Made two tiny edits - glissando should (should) now play down a scale that has 1 sharp to match the A blues type scale, and also for some reason an E-flat in m. 64 was written as a D# so i changed it

small edits i know but i want to be thorough in my documentation lmao

Bespinben

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Altissimo

The only thing I would be worried about are the two "formatting" issues I listed in the OP.

Bespinben

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Zeta