News:

Spotted an error on the main site? Let us know!

Main Menu

.MUS file

Started by CwithTheBeatles, March 19, 2016, 01:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CwithTheBeatles

Hey! I have a transcription I want to submit but I don't write in Finale so I don't have the file in .MUS
So... I can't submit it?
Loving life every note at a time.

Sebastian

Unfortunately, yes. There is a free Finale version called Finale Notepad which can be downloaded on Make Music's website. Even though it does not have all the features, it can still be used to do basic musical writing and arranging. You can always ask someone with the full version to add things in here and there. I would be glad to help you if you wish.

mikey

Like Seabass said, Finale Notepad 2012 is free, but its uses are limited.  It can still be used, but your sheets will need to be edited by others occasionally.  Alternatively you could use it to open a MusicXML file, which whatever program you're using can prob make
unmotivated

AmpharosAndy

Quote from: Sebastian on March 19, 2016, 01:33:24 PMUnfortunately, yes. There is a free Finale version called Finale Notepad which can be downloaded on Make Music's website. Even though it does not have all the features, it can still be used to do basic musical writing and arranging. You can always ask someone with the full version to add things in here and there. I would be glad to help you if you wish.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I work on sibelius 7 and I'm having problems with converting files. I'd like to submit two scores at the moment: a new 'Apple Woods (Piano Duet)' and replacement 'Eterna City' from the pokemon series. I've tried importing xml files onto Finale Notepad but it sucks and I can't really use it :P Assuming that you're willing to help, if I send you a .xml file and a pdf of the original score, could you make sure they match and then send me the files I need in order to submit?? Danke schön :)       
                                                                                                                                                                                          Sincerely, confused person

innit

Zeila

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on March 31, 2016, 08:22:54 AMDear Sir/Madam,

I work on sibelius 7 and I'm having problems with converting files. I'd like to submit two scores at the moment: a new 'Apple Woods (Piano Duet)' and replacement 'Eterna City' from the pokemon series. I've tried importing xml files onto Finale Notepad but it sucks and I can't really use it :P Assuming that you're willing to help, if I send you a .xml file and a pdf of the original score, could you make sure they match and then send me the files I need in order to submit?? Danke schön :)       
                                                                                                                                                                                          Sincerely, confused person

What you could do is important the xml file, then copy and paste the notes onto a template file (this only really works if the time and key signature remain the same). You might be able to just import it onto the template file itself, I'm not sure. In the future, you can use this thread for help on formatting and stuff. Here's a link to another thread containing template files you can choose from

Also, welcome to NSM!

AmpharosAndy

Quote from: Zeila on March 31, 2016, 09:24:57 AMWhat you could do is important the xml file, then copy and paste the notes onto a template file (this only really works if the time and key signature remain the same). You might be able to just import it onto the template file itself, I'm not sure. In the future, you can use this thread for help on formatting and stuff. Here's a link to another thread containing template files you can choose from

Also, welcome to NSM!

looks very helpful, thank you, Zeila :)
innit

CwithTheBeatles

Thank you! Maybe my time to work on Sibelius has come...
Loving life every note at a time.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

No
#Finaleorfuckoff

(jk ily)
what is shitpost

Gamma-Ray

I hope it's okay if I bump this - I have had problems with importing XML files from MuseScore into Notepad myself and tried copying them into a template file. But i still can't edit anything, besides the fact that it even changed the pitch and i don't know if i can fix that.
Is there any other way i can get actual .mus files that work?

JDMEK5

Quote from: Gamma-Ray on September 15, 2016, 07:20:21 AMI hope it's okay if I bump this - I have had problems with importing XML files from MuseScore into Notepad myself and tried copying them into a template file. But i still can't edit anything, besides the fact that it even changed the pitch and i don't know if i can fix that.
Well the number one way is to make an mus file from scratch using notepad. I know that notepad has editing limitations when importing files from other versions, but I don't know for sure what the specifics are on that. I would bet this is one of those cases, in which case your best option is to start from scratch- copying from you musescore file. Or there's a small chance it's just a bug. Either way, it would be helpful if someone more knowledgeable on finale importing details gave their opinions on the situation.

I don't have any experience in importing XMLs myself as I've never needed to. While I've never heard of pitches being changed in that process, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened. (Though I would most certainly be confused and want to know the reason)
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Gamma-Ray

Thanks for the reply. Although it seems that I can write down the notes and add dynamics and articulations, the version appears to not be able to edit sheet info such as Title, Composer and copyright. So I won't be able to make formatted mus-files with this Notepad version.

JDMEK5

Oh. Well if that's all then just do what you can and we I can help you with the rest.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

E. Gadd Industries

I had those issues, too, in he early days of my activity on here. But, I eventually got annoyed enough and started dealing directly with NP (although I don't know which was worse, NP or XML import)
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Gamma-Ray on September 15, 2016, 07:20:21 AMI hope it's okay if I bump this - I have had problems with importing XML files from MuseScore into Notepad myself and tried copying them into a template file. But i still can't edit anything, besides the fact that it even changed the pitch and i don't know if i can fix that.
I use Musescore and Finale Notepad, and I transfer MusicXML files between them by exporting the full (not compressed) MusicXML from Musescore, then editing that file directly with a text editor (I guess WordPad is fine, although I like Notepad++) before importing it into Finale Notepad.

Make sure to overwrite the <identification> section in the Musescore version of the MusicXML file with something like this or Finale Notepad will throw a fit:
  <identification>
    <creator type="composer">Composition by "Composer Here"</creator>
    <creator type="lyricist">Arrangement by "Your Username Here"</creator>
    <creator type="arranger">Arrangement by "Your Username Here"</creator>
    <rights>"Video Game Development Company" © 20XX
http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/</rights>
    <encoding>
      <software>Finale NotePad 2012 for Windows</software>
      <software>Dolet Light for Finale NotePad 2012</software>
      <encoding-date>YYYY-MM-DD</encoding-date>
      <supports attribute="new-system" element="print" type="yes" value="yes"/>
      <supports attribute="new-page" element="print" type="yes" value="yes"/>
    </encoding>
  </identification>

Natively exported MusicXML files will claim that their <software> section is from Musescore, so Finale Notepad will error out upon reading that.

It's probably smart to copy layout-related sections from exported MusicXML versions of our Finale templates, too.

You'll have to copy or overwrite stuff like this if you want page numbers and headers (and footers, etc.) to properly show up:
  <credit page="1">
    <credit-words default-x="666" default-y="1556" font-size="22.7" font-weight="bold" justify="center" valign="top">"Song Name Here"</credit-words>
  </credit>
  <credit page="1">
    <credit-words default-x="1185" default-y="1471" font-size="11.3" font-weight="bold" justify="right" valign="top">Composition by "Composer Here"</credit-words>
  </credit>
  <credit page="1">
    <credit-words default-x="1185" default-y="1442" font-size="11.3" font-style="italic" justify="right" valign="top">Arrangement by "Your Username Here"</credit-words>
  </credit>
  <credit page="1">
    <credit-words default-x="666" default-y="1503" font-size="11.3" font-style="italic" justify="center" valign="top">"Game Name Here"</credit-words>
  </credit>
  <credit page="1">
    <credit-words default-x="666" default-y="102" justify="center" valign="top" xml:space="preserve">"Video Game Development Company" © 20XX
http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/</credit-words>
  </credit>
  <credit page="2">
    <credit-words default-x="148" default-y="1577" font-size="11.3" valign="top">2</credit-words>
  </credit>
  <credit page="2">
    <credit-words default-x="666" default-y="1579" font-size="11.3" justify="center" valign="top">"Song Name Here"</credit-words>
  </credit>

I recommend overwriting the <part-list> section with this if you're writing for solo piano or you'll see "Pno." too often (the below is derived from Finale Notepad):
  <part-list>
    <score-part id="P1">
      <part-name>Piano</part-name>
      <score-instrument id="P1-I1">
        <instrument-name>SmartMusic SoftSynth</instrument-name>
        <instrument-sound>keyboard.piano</instrument-sound>
      </score-instrument>
      <midi-instrument id="P1-I1">
        <midi-channel>1</midi-channel>
        <midi-bank>15489</midi-bank>
        <midi-program>2</midi-program>
        <volume>80</volume>
        <pan>0</pan>
      </midi-instrument>
    </score-part>
  </part-list>

To guarantee that measure numbers show up properly, put <measure-numbering>system</measure-numbering> right after the </staff-layout> tag in the first <print> section.

This guide isn't all, but it should be a good start.

(Maybe I need to post a guide on transferring MusicXML between Musescore and Finale Notepad...)

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on September 15, 2016, 06:20:59 PMI had those issues, too, in he early days of my activity on here. But, I eventually got annoyed enough and started dealing directly with NP (although I don't know which was worse, NP or XML import)
IMO, NP is significantly worse because you can't change clefs, key signatures, time signatures, and more mid-piece. I'm sticking with XML imports.

Gamma-Ray

Thanks a lot, that works out really well. Looks like an easy enough solution, so I am glad that i can stick with MuseScore.

Quote(Maybe I need to post a guide on transferring MusicXML between Musescore and Finale Notepad...)
That would be great, as there are likely more people using MuseScore that struggle with XML imports. Although the sections you mentioned were enough to correct the important formatting parts (besides from changing the text font).