[MUL] Shovel Knight - "Strike the Earth! (Plains of Passage)" by Joel Hands-Otte

Started by Zeta, March 29, 2016, 08:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Shovel Knight
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Strike the Earth! (Plains of Passage)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Joel Hands-Otte

[attachment deleted by admin]

mikey

unmotivated

fingerz

You can! I just wanted to do this one and the Explodatorium, that's all. :P
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

mikey

unmotivated

cashwarrior1

fingerz

Excellent! I strive for accuracy over practicality. Besides, Maestro could play it. :P
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

cashwarrior1

Oh, well then. I'm not the best piano player out there. I can't play it, but that doesn't mean anyone can't play it. Good job, then.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

what is shitpost

fingerz

Thanks, guys! I'll just have to find someone to play this, I guess... XD

Dekkadeci

I'm not 100% sure how appropriate I feel posting here, but...

...Part of the reason why I thought transcribing Shovel Knight music was easy was because Jake "virt" Kaufman was kind enough to release his .nsf for the entire soundtrack, which is still stored at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56073318/Famitracker/Other%20Songs/Shovel_Knight_Music.nsf. It's readable as sheet music of sorts if you download NSF Importer and figure out how to read Famitracker files.

After trying to transcribe "A Decisive Blow" and "The Schemer" later, I've found that the Shovel Knight soundtrack is surprisingly hard to transcribe for solo piano. I pretty much have to wreck the voicing to make playable versions of those pieces (at least if I want to play them with my 1-octave range in each hand), and "The Schemer" has very difficult octave flurries to play if I post an accurate transcription. (I've yet to post them because I haven't figured out my favourite ways to wreck their voicing yet...although, at a second glance, I can probably post "The Schemer" as long as I hold my nose about tenths in the left hand...)

So I entirely understand how difficult transcribing "Strike the Earth!" is.

With that being said, according to both Song 4 of the .nsf and my memory of the song, the topmost repeated (melody) notes of the eighth-note triplet in Bars 11 and 75 should be replaced with a quarter note. I suspect that the .nsf will reveal other, less glaring inaccuracies.

Tobbeh99

Nice Arrangement!

I wonder if it's not better to ditch the octaves at measures like measure 19. And instead have "single notes" staccato. I would be way easier in terms of playability.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

fingerz

Quote from: Dekkadeci on May 28, 2016, 07:40:15 PM...Part of the reason why I thought transcribing Shovel Knight music was easy was because Jake "virt" Kaufman was kind enough to release his .nsf for the entire soundtrack. It's readable as sheet music of sorts if you download NSF Importer and figure out how to read Famitracker files.
Hi! Feel free to post away! I like it when people talk! Anyways, I remember hearing about this! Sadly, I'm no tech guru at all, so all of this goes completely over my head... I remember someone found MIDI files of the entire Pokemon Black/White soundtrack and I thought it was cheating, seeing as this is good practise for your ears. :P

Quote from: Dekkadeci on May 28, 2016, 07:40:15 PMWith that being said, according to both Song 4 of the .nsf and my memory of the song, the topmost repeated (melody) notes of the eighth-note triplet in Bars 11 and 75 should be replaced with a quarter note. I suspect that the .nsf will reveal other, less glaring inaccuracies.
Oh yes, I remember that part! At the time, it was an artistic decision to make the entire beat triplet-y, but now that I look back on it, I'm not sure why... I'll get around to fixing that. XD

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on May 29, 2016, 05:11:39 AMNice Arrangement!

I wonder if it's not better to ditch the octaves at measures like measure 19. And instead have "single notes" staccato. I would be way easier in terms of playability.
Thanks, Tobbeh! That seems to be everyone's bug - those octaves. I guess I should change them too, seeing as people just can't get gud. :P

Bespinben

Applied some cosmetic touch-ups (alignment of dynamics and crescendo hairpins, page layout, etc.).
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Zeta