[DELETED] [NDS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - "Damon Gant: Swimming Anyone?" by Ōkami~MD

Started by Zeta, March 30, 2016, 06:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Ace Attorney
Game: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Damon Gant: Swimming Anyone?
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Ōkami~MD

Tobbeh99

Nice Arrangement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ZUFBRMWss

some feedback:

-First of, you need to follow the formatting guidelines. The text's sizes and styles are wrong, and the "pno." and the "score" needs to be removed. Take a look here and you'll understand: http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=481.0

-You got a lot of time signature changes which I don't think are necessary. I got some alternatives for you:
Write the entire song in 4/4 (3+3+2=8, so it's 2 measures of 4/4)
Write the entire song in 8/4
Write the entire song in 3/4+3/4+2/4 like this sheet: http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/download/pdf/2431

-Also measure 8: The fermata you got there, I think would be better as a 2/4 measure instead, that way following the pattern 3+3+2/4.

-Measure 35: This measure should be a 2/4 with a repeat leading back to measure 1. I see you have created you're own ending. If you want to keep in you can make a repeat and then a volta bracket and a text like "optional ending". So you'd first play the song as in the original, and then if you wish play the song again with the custom ending.

Also post a youtube link of the song you've arranged, makes it easier comparing.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Ōkami~MD

Thanks for the feedback!
I had some trouble when counting the measures and think I messed up somewhere near the end of the piece as well.
I'll try a version entirely in 8/4, to see if it preserves the strong beats in the right places

...and I forgot that the font sizes and styles (me noob)

I'll repost an amended version soon :)

EDIT: Ok that completely messed up the sheet, this may take longer than anticipated

EDIT: It's beautiful.... *sob* *ahem* I have updated the download links. Changes are: the whole piece is in 8/4 save for two 6/4 bars and it looks much more tidy, repeats have been added, formatting rules have (hopefully) been followed but I had to move the composer and arranger to the right a bit so no text overlapped (that ok>).
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow
*hairflip*
FABULOUS

hello? there should be GIF here can u help me find it

Latios212

Welcome to NSM! You can edit the files through the NSM Panel where you first submitted this sheet!

Be sure to read [the formatting guidelnes], specifically the parts on what size and style fonts to use; it has a list of what size and style to make each text box so you can avoid shifting the text too far to the right as you have now. You can move the music and the composer/arranger text down a bit; you have lots of space at the bottom of the page.

The copyright should be at the bottom of the page as follows:
Capcom © 2001
http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Ōkami~MD

Oh, right, is the copyright for the game or when the music was released? Because Damon Gant's theme is for a special case released on the DS remake in 2006 (in the EU anyway). Don't mean to be impetuous, just wondering. I'll update it though for now :)
*hairflip*
FABULOUS

Latios212

Oo. Yeah I'm not sure about the copyright date then, I saw you had the original AA listed, and that came out in 2001. If this is for a different game, perhaps it should be listed as such. Let's have someone more well versed than me in AA to weigh in on this.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Ōkami~MD

Oh right, well the original ace attorney was for GBA in 2001 and only released in japan, with four cases, not including Rise from the Ashes. In 2005 it was remade and was rereleased for the NDS (which is what the site says) which was the same game but included Rise from the Ashes, in which Gant's theme was first heard. I was wrong about 2006, but that's because EU gets games last usually, so for now I'll leave the copyright at 2001, since that is what the rest of the music listed for this game is unless some executive power decides that it should be 2005.

I don't know  :P :P just wait and see
*hairflip*
FABULOUS

SlowPokemon

Copyright is 2005, when the game this music was heard in first came out. Music for the first four cases of PWAA is 2001, but the music of Rise from the Ashes is 2005.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: SlowPokemon on March 30, 2016, 01:38:56 PMCopyright is 2005, when the game this music was heard in first came out. Music for the first four cases of PWAA is 2001, but the music of Rise from the Ashes is 2005.

^^^

Also, the title should have a tilde instead of a colon, as well as a comma, like this:

"Damon Gant ~ Swimming, Anyone?"
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

SlowPokemon

The colon is basically the English equivalent of he Japanese use of tilde, but the comma there is right. "Damon Gant: Swimming, Anyone?" or "Damon Gant ~ Swimming, Anyone?" would both be fine.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Tobbeh99

Nice done with the time signature!

there is one thing however: When you're notating in 8/4 you have to keep in mind the strong beats, in this case it's a 3+3+2 so you need to show beat 1,4 & 7.
This means that you have to notate it differently:

Measure 1: the dotted half note in the LH should be a half note-tie-half note. And the whole note in the RH should be a a half note-tied-half note. RH, the 2 rests should be 2 dotted half note rests, rather than a whole note and a half note rest.

Measure 2: RH, the last dotted half note should be a quarter note-tie-half note. LH, the half note on beat 3 should be a quarter note-tie-quarter note.

Measure 4 (and similar cases): RH, the quarter note-tie-half note should be a dotted half note.

Measure 9: RH, the quarter note-tie-dotted quarter note should be a half note-tie-8th note. LH the Ab should be a dotted whole note.

Measure 10: RH, the first 2 quarter notes should be a half note.

Measure 12: RH, the whole note should be a half note-tie-half note. LH, the 4 tied quarter notes should be a half note-tie-half note

Measure 13: RH, the 3 tied quarter notes should be a half note-tie-quarter note, same in the LH.

Measure 14: The whole notes should be a half note-tie-half note.

Measure 15: same as measure 1

Measure 16: same as measure 2

There are also a lot of unnecessary rest flying around. Try to optimize your layer usage and remove rests if they aren't necessary. And some rests are colliding with notes, move them a bit so it looks nicer.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Ōkami~MD

Don't you love it when video game music throws all this stuff at you?

I've tried 'hiding' some of the rests (so they still show up on the .mus and .musx files but not on the pdf) and got rid of some layered stuff. I did keep in the second layer as I think the actual music from the game is played on the organ and is reminiscent of a fugue or three part invention. Hopefully all the beats should be clearer now (I got mixed up because it was now in 8/4 so I automatically thought 4+4).

Again thanks for the in depth feedback, files should be updated now
*hairflip*
FABULOUS

Tobbeh99

Nice!

but some errors remain:
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on March 31, 2016, 03:10:45 AMMeasure 1: the dotted half note in the LH should be a half note-tie-half note.

Measure 12: RH, the whole note should be a half note-tie-half note. LH, the 4 tied quarter notes should be a half note-tie-half note

Measure 15: same as measure 1

Also your copyright/URL info is wrongly formatted. Take a look at this sheet: http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/download/pdf/2493
that is how it should look. At the bottom as a "footer" and the copyright and URL should be in the same text box (they actually don't need to be, but it's way more convenient this way).

Also your composer and arranger text needs to right-aligned, it's actually off the page as of now.

Looking at your mus and your pdf, they differ a lot in terms of formatting. Try make them identical. Make the mus have proper formatting and then print/export a pdf file.

10/10 tobbeh

Ōkami~MD

Hmm ok. When the file is converted into a PDF some parts are cut off. I've now moved the alignment of the title and game from page edge instead of page margin so there is now space for the composer (which I have changed since I got the composer wrong) and the fixes have been made.

Everything fits on the page now, and now both the copyright and url have been footer aligned, fingers crossed this time.
*hairflip*
FABULOUS

Maelstrom

I love this song.
-Double check the text formatting size and fonts. The game title looks too large. The bold/italics only show up on the PDF at the moment.
-The one measure system at the end is fixed in this file
-This arrangement really lacks the power in the B section. Try some octaves, especially on the eighth notes.
-Idk why, but finale seems to be staccatoing every note in the playback, regardless of their articulations.
-The first chord of the power thing (m1,3,14,15,17) should really be staccatoed, along with a few other notes, mostly those dotted eighth/16th pairs.
-Layer issues. This is going to be fun. Nvm. I figured out how to get those simultaneous notes on top of each other:
Document>Document Options>Music Spacing>Uncheck "Notes and Accidentals"
Then re-enter the notes. This should clear up m13, m16, etc.
-And the A in Anyone should be capitalized.