News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon

Started by Waddle Bro, May 10, 2016, 06:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

best tapu?

tapu koko
tapu fini
tapu lele
tapu bulu

TheDreamingHawk

Quote from: Maelstrom on December 03, 2016, 04:02:23 PMThe patch that adds bank support adds the national pokedex

Only in the bank app. I don't know how many times I have to explain this to people on the websites I visit. It's in the bank app, but will not be added in the games themselves, meaning its not practical to switch between game and bank just to check to see what Pokemon you're missing. If anything the national dex in bank is future proofing for whatever game is coming next.

My Video Game review website: http://www.seafoamgaming.com

My Youtube Gameplay/retrospective channel: https://www.youtube.com/SeafoamGaming

Dudeman

Quote from: TheDreamingHawk on December 03, 2016, 03:40:45 PMBut what about when the trainers run out? There's no point to fighting wild pokemon when the battles are so short and switching out pokemon is an outdated method from Gen I.
I, uh, was referring to wild battles in the first place. The point to fighting wild Pokémon is to get experience, so I don't see why them being short is a bad thing. Also if you could explain your "outdated method" reasoning, I'd appreciate it. If a 'mon is in battle, it'll get all the experience possible now; if it isn't, then it gets half. I'll take all over half any day.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

TheDreamingHawk

Quote from: Dudeman on December 03, 2016, 04:30:29 PMI, uh, was referring to wild battles in the first place. The point to fighting wild Pokémon is to get experience, so I don't see why them being short is a bad thing. Also if you could explain your "outdated method" reasoning, I'd appreciate it. If a 'mon is in battle, it'll get all the experience possible now; if it isn't, then it gets half. I'll take all over half any day.

In gen 1, the EXP all was a worthless item, so in order to level up pokemon you had to send them out first and then switch them with an attacker to take a hit. This was a very repetitive thing to do in every battle and they didn't even gain much levels because of it. In future gens it got better because the EXP Share held item splits the XP between two pokemon, and in XYORAS it got a bit rougher by returning to the EXP All system, but it actually gave your enough EXP to level up (at the expense of the game being made easy.) This combined with lucky eggs made it easy to gain levels quickly, especially with it off.

While I'm super happy they returned to the Gen V level scaling in favor of a good challenge, the scarcity of spots to level up your pokemon in general (much less to level 100) is glaring, and while typically the EXP share (whether it's on one pokemon or all of them) helps to spread the experience to everyone, focusing on one gets risky unless you're at a higher level.

Sure, I could send out my defenseless level 1 Bagon to fight a level 59 bewear, but what's the point if I'm pulling it back in favor of a Pokemon that can actually damage it? To me it seems pointless since the EXP share would do the exact same thing without the switching but to more pokemon. My point is that lucky egg or no, you aren't really going to be seeing much of a fast level up unless your pokemon is capable of taking down those enemy pokemon on their own, either with FEAR or destiny bond, which is why I found fighting the poni gauntlet trainers helpful as they gave me more experience but won't let me rematch them.

It's somewhat simple to level your mons up to level 50 in SM with your method, yes but now we're back to having Level 100 be a mythical phase when XYORAS gave you places to fight high leveled trainers for that purpose. Part of me thinks that golf course was meant to be this region's Battle Chateau or at least a good place to level up but we can't go there, leading to this issue.

I mean, sure you could argue that going to level 100 in an age where they round stats down to level 5r0 isn't a big deal, but with those bottlecaps requiring level 100 pokemon for some stupid reason it kinda defeats the point if its hard to reach that level. With my level 84 Necrozoma I tend to gain about one level for it during a E4 rematch with the EXP share on, and MAYBE close to two with it off. If I have a lucky egg I could gain a few more levels, but unless you somehow get boosted EXP by having you loan your mons to a friend it seems harder than ever.

My Youtube Gameplay/retrospective channel: https://www.youtube.com/SeafoamGaming

Dudeman

Quote from: TheDreamingHawk on December 03, 2016, 04:50:31 PMSure, I could send out my defenseless level 1 Bagon to fight a level 59 bewear, but what's the point if I'm pulling it back in favor of a Pokemon that can actually damage it? To me it seems pointless since the EXP share would do the exact same thing without the switching but to more pokemon. My point is that lucky egg or no, you aren't really going to be seeing much of a fast level up unless your pokemon is capable of taking down those enemy pokemon on their own, either with FEAR or destiny bond, which is why I found fighting the poni gauntlet trainers helpful as they gave me more experience but won't let me rematch them.
This isn't true, and I'm speaking from experience. Any Pokémon that takes part in a battle gets all the experience possible. Let's say I've got a Lv. 1 something out in front, and I switch it out for my Lv. 60-something Decidueye. The Decidueye knocks it out and gets maybe 2,000 experience. The Lv. 1 something? 11,000-12,000, consistently. Enough for at least 15-20 levels. Then the EXP Share applies, but I've noticed through other methods that the experience gained from the EXP Share is calculated separately for each Pokémon. I was grinding with Pickup 'mons for a Destiny Knot in Route 1. My Decidueye in front was only getting 1 EXP, and I assumed the rest of the party was getting that as well (half of 1 EXP rounded up 'cause they have to get EXP from the battle). However, after checking, I noticed that they got 7 or 8 EXP instead. This only makes sense if the EXP Share is halving the potential EXP a 'mon can gain, and not the EXP the 'mon in front receives.

I don't really see where you're getting your evidence from. My experience speaks for itself (pun absolutely intended).
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

Yeah, to me it sounds like your complaints are theoretical in nature.  My arcanine and umbreon are already up to level 80 after my 4th elite 4 victory
unmotivated

TheDreamingHawk

Quote from: Dudeman on December 03, 2016, 05:01:14 PMThis isn't true, and I'm speaking from experience. Any Pokémon that takes part in a battle gets all the experience possible. Let's say I've got a Lv. 1 something out in front, and I switch it out for my Lv. 60-something Decidueye. The Decidueye knocks it out and gets maybe 2,000 experience. The Lv. 1 something? 11,000-12,000, consistently. Enough for at least 15-20 levels. Then the EXP Share applies, but I've noticed through other methods that the experience gained from the EXP Share is calculated separately for each Pokémon. I was grinding with Pickup 'mons for a Destiny Knot in Route 1. My Decidueye in front was only getting 1 EXP, and I assumed the rest of the party was getting that as well (half of 1 EXP rounded up 'cause they have to get EXP from the battle). However, after checking, I noticed that they got 7 or 8 EXP instead. This only makes sense if the EXP Share is halving the potential EXP a 'mon can gain, and not the EXP the 'mon in front receives.

I don't really see where you're getting your evidence from. My experience speaks for itself (pun absolutely intended).

I don't get it. I swore it's done in a way that makes your in-charge pokemon get experience, then it splits with any other pokemon who's sent out in battle but doesn't defeat the enemy Pokemon before going for the EXP share split. All this number talk hurts my head. All I know for sure is that it's not as easy or practical to get to level 100 in this game as it was in XYORAS. Then again, I was probably spoiled by EXP Daycare, Battle Chateau and Secret bases...

mikey

Does anyone have a caterpie with one or two perfect ivs that they're willing to trade to speed up the breeding process?
unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: TheDreamingHawk on December 03, 2016, 05:49:37 PMSecret bases...
Oh yes. It's almost criminal how easy it is doing it that way.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dude

Quote from: TheDreamingHawk on December 03, 2016, 04:12:29 PMOnly in the bank app.
because sun and moon will never have updates of their own, right?

SlowPokemon

I'm also wondering why you're so upset about half of the things you're talking about. I've only ever gotten one Pokémon to Level 100, my Sceptile in my very first Ruby game. I've gotten like two others to Level 93-ish.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dudeman

Quote from: SlowPokemon on December 04, 2016, 11:45:52 AMI'm also wondering why you're so upset about half of the things you're talking about. I've only ever gotten one Pokémon to Level 100, my Sceptile in my very first Ruby game. I've gotten like two others to Level 93-ish.
Same here. I only just got my Decidueye to level 100 (somewhat unintentionally, too), and I can't remember the last time I got anything to that point. I've never seen it as something I need to attain in any of the prior games. If anything, 50 is the highest I care about since that's the level the post-game battle arenas cap your team at.

Nebbles

Why even bother to level 100, anyway? Unless you have a Pokemon that learns something at that move....... like Volcarona....ahem... there's really not much of a point to.

Anyway, I've hatched around 12 boxes of Mimikyu and still no shiny :)
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

SlowPokemon

Also, unless I'm mistaken, the move relearner lets your Pokémon learn moves they haven't even gotten yet. All of my Pokémon's full movesets were available when I talked to her, even though none of mine are Level 50 yet.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dudeman

Quote from: SlowPokemon on December 04, 2016, 12:32:35 PMAlso, unless I'm mistaken, the move relearner lets your Pokémon learn moves they haven't even gotten yet. All of my Pokémon's full movesets were available when I talked to her, even though none of mine are Level 50 yet.
Woah, are you serious? Awesome!

Nebbles

Quote from: SlowPokemon on December 04, 2016, 12:32:35 PMAlso, unless I'm mistaken, the move relearner lets your Pokémon learn moves they haven't even gotten yet. All of my Pokémon's full movesets were available when I talked to her, even though none of mine are Level 50 yet.

I think you're right on that, actually, it just still pains me Volcarona isn't supposed to learn it until 100. Also, you know, evolving at level 64 but ANYWAY yeah lmao what's the big deal if the Battle Tree/Royale/literally any battle modes set you to 50 anyway??
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel