News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Finale Question about composite time signatures

Started by Tobbeh99, May 11, 2016, 12:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobbeh99

I wonder how do you remove the "+" sign in  composite time signature. I'm arranging a song that alters between 12/8 and 10/8 and I want it to look like this: http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/download/pdf/2431

Does anyone knows how to do it??
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Well, I don't know how to do it specifically. However, I do know how to manipulate Olimar's file into something you can use. In this file, the 12/8 measures beam like they should, while the 10/8 beam like 5/4. I don't know if that's what you need, but I figured a 5/4 beaming was better than 10 individual eighth notes. If you need anything more specific, PM or Skype me and I can help if necessary.

Of course, after messing with Olimar's file, I actually found out how to do it on my own. If you go to Document>Document Options>Time Signatures, the bottom option on this dialog box is "Composite Time Signature Plus Sign Character." Click "Score," and then you can simply choose a blank character for the plus sign. There you have it; plus sign gone! (If it matters at all, Olimar's file used the blank character numbered 254.)
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Olimar12345

I sort of cheated and made each measure change time signatures according to what I wanted, then hid all time changes, only displaying the initial one. The character I changed the composite time signature plus symbol to was a minus sign, which is being covered up by the middle staff line lol.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bloop

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 11, 2016, 06:04:29 PMI sort of cheated and made each measure change time signatures according to what I wanted, then hid all time changes, only displaying the initial one. The character I changed the composite time signature plus symbol to was a minus sign, which is being covered up by the middle staff line lol.

Aah thanks for responding. I figured out the "hiding the time signature" part but couldn't figure out the plus sign, but now I just found out you can change it in the documents menu.

Quote from: Bloop on May 11, 2016, 10:13:20 PMwhy didn't you just use 5/4 though

Cause the time signatures strong beats are 12/8(3+3+2+2+2) and 10/8(3+3+2+2) I think it makes more sense to write it this way.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Bloop

Olimar12345

Rational explanation:

Spoiler

But seriously, we already talked about that sheet here:
http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=7006.0

[close]
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Dudeman

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on May 12, 2016, 06:59:57 AMCause the time signatures strong beats are 12/8(3+3+2+2+2) and 10/8(3+3+2+2) I think it makes more sense to write it this way.
Can't you just fiddle with the beaming to communicate that effect, or add in accents to denote emphasis? I think pieces in 6/8 which have both passages with two strong beats and passages with three can be written with different beaming like that.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

JDMEK5

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on May 12, 2016, 06:59:57 AMCause the time signatures strong beats are 12/8(3+3+2+2+2) and 10/8(3+3+2+2) I think it makes more sense to write it this way.
I would agree. The only other alternative I can think of involves dashed barlines but honestly, this is better.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Olimar12345

Nonsense, 6/8 would be confusing and genuinely misleading in this case. Tobbeh has the right idea, as far as I can see (although I don't know what he's arranging).

Edit, misread (using 6/8 in this example doesn't even add up correctly lol). But I still think Tobbeh is using the most logical method to alternate time signatures. Whether or not he displays the time change each bar or puts a composite time signature at the beginning is purely a preference at this point.

Tobbeh99

Here's the original song, in case you wonder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhrKNPHGR8E

And here's how it looks:
Spoiler
[close]

10/10 tobbeh

Olimar12345

Nice. I see no issue with the way you've notated it.