Finale Question about composite time signatures

Started by Tobbeh99, May 11, 2016, 12:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobbeh99

I wonder how do you remove the "+" sign in  composite time signature. I'm arranging a song that alters between 12/8 and 10/8 and I want it to look like this: http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/download/pdf/2431

Does anyone knows how to do it??
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Well, I don't know how to do it specifically. However, I do know how to manipulate Olimar's file into something you can use. In this file, the 12/8 measures beam like they should, while the 10/8 beam like 5/4. I don't know if that's what you need, but I figured a 5/4 beaming was better than 10 individual eighth notes. If you need anything more specific, PM or Skype me and I can help if necessary.

Of course, after messing with Olimar's file, I actually found out how to do it on my own. If you go to Document>Document Options>Time Signatures, the bottom option on this dialog box is "Composite Time Signature Plus Sign Character." Click "Score," and then you can simply choose a blank character for the plus sign. There you have it; plus sign gone! (If it matters at all, Olimar's file used the blank character numbered 254.)
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Olimar12345

I sort of cheated and made each measure change time signatures according to what I wanted, then hid all time changes, only displaying the initial one. The character I changed the composite time signature plus symbol to was a minus sign, which is being covered up by the middle staff line lol.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bloop

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 11, 2016, 06:04:29 PMI sort of cheated and made each measure change time signatures according to what I wanted, then hid all time changes, only displaying the initial one. The character I changed the composite time signature plus symbol to was a minus sign, which is being covered up by the middle staff line lol.

Aah thanks for responding. I figured out the "hiding the time signature" part but couldn't figure out the plus sign, but now I just found out you can change it in the documents menu.

Quote from: Bloop on May 11, 2016, 10:13:20 PMwhy didn't you just use 5/4 though

Cause the time signatures strong beats are 12/8(3+3+2+2+2) and 10/8(3+3+2+2) I think it makes more sense to write it this way.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Bloop

Olimar12345

Rational explanation:

Spoiler

But seriously, we already talked about that sheet here:
http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=7006.0

[close]
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Dudeman

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on May 12, 2016, 06:59:57 AMCause the time signatures strong beats are 12/8(3+3+2+2+2) and 10/8(3+3+2+2) I think it makes more sense to write it this way.
Can't you just fiddle with the beaming to communicate that effect, or add in accents to denote emphasis? I think pieces in 6/8 which have both passages with two strong beats and passages with three can be written with different beaming like that.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

JDMEK5

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on May 12, 2016, 06:59:57 AMCause the time signatures strong beats are 12/8(3+3+2+2+2) and 10/8(3+3+2+2) I think it makes more sense to write it this way.
I would agree. The only other alternative I can think of involves dashed barlines but honestly, this is better.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Olimar12345

Nonsense, 6/8 would be confusing and genuinely misleading in this case. Tobbeh has the right idea, as far as I can see (although I don't know what he's arranging).

Edit, misread (using 6/8 in this example doesn't even add up correctly lol). But I still think Tobbeh is using the most logical method to alternate time signatures. Whether or not he displays the time change each bar or puts a composite time signature at the beginning is purely a preference at this point.

Tobbeh99

Here's the original song, in case you wonder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhrKNPHGR8E

And here's how it looks:
Spoiler
[close]

10/10 tobbeh

Olimar12345

Nice. I see no issue with the way you've notated it.