[GBC] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons - "Temple of Seasons" by Don Valentino

Started by Zeta, June 05, 2016, 03:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons
Console: Game Boy Color
Title: Temple of Seasons
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Don Valentino

[attachment deleted by admin]

DonValentino

You may find another song mislabeled as "Temple of Seasons" which is in reality "Secret of the Oracles" from the opening (spoiler below). Granted, it also plays when you enter the fairies' rooms in the Temple of Seasons, but the song that plays in the Temple of Seasons itself is this one.

Spoiler
[close]

Bespinben

I'm of the opinion that this piece is in A minor, borrowing the F# from the parallel Dorian mode and the (one) C# because Picardy Third. I'm less convinced of A major borrowing G from mixolydian and C from the parallel minor.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

DonValentino

Hmm glad you pointed that out. I was pondering that same thing before submitting... It does seem to be A Dorian, quite sure of that, but that C# is my main concern. I can't think of it as a Picardy Third though, because PT "refers to the use of a major chord of the tonic at the end of a musical section that is either modal or in a minor key". If it was the end of the phrase, I'd be totally with you, but being there in the middle of the section just makes me think it's another I chord that happened to finally include the third.

But dunno... No doubt the piece plays with that ambiguity. It does give me the feeling that it is major more than minor though, having F# and C# makes it closer to A major than to A minor I guess.

daj

Ooh. Interesting piece.

Quote from: Bespinben on June 05, 2016, 08:53:38 PMI'm of the opinion that this piece is in A minor, borrowing the F# from the parallel Dorian mode and the (one) C# because Picardy Third. I'm less convinced of A major borrowing G from mixolydian and C from the parallel minor.

Everything tells me that this is should be scored in A minor. It sounds like A Minor, and there's a pedal point that keeps reminding me of that. Basically, ditto to Bespinben's thoughts.

Though it would be justifiable to score this in A major too, haha. This track is too clearly based on the idea of a Renaissance motet. Won't go into details, but in modern Renaissance notation, the "major key" (though not defined as such at the time) of the pedal point sung by the "tenor" is often used as the key signature, based on what I've studied so far.

That being said, writing this in A minor would clean up the score. A lot. Do consider :p

~

As a side note, I don't really see why this piece should be in duple time - it definitely feels like it's in four. (one hundred half-notes a minute is kinda dodgy, haha).

Aaand I think putting in some grace notes at bar 5 (and the next occurence of those blippy things) would spice up the product a lot~

Oher than that, that's a pretty deceptively straightforward track we've got there haha~

Sebastian

Great piece, Don!
Few things I noticed:
- url again.
- Was there a specific reason you left out the notes in M. 5, 7, 13, & 15 (right hand)?
- Also, I'd have to agree with Ben on the A minor. That is right what came to mind when looking at this sheet.

Again, great work with this song!

DonValentino

Changed that.

Quote from: dajwxp on June 06, 2016, 03:49:14 AMAaand I think putting in some grace notes at bar 5 (and the next occurence of those blippy things) would spice up the product a lot

Quote from: Sebastian on June 06, 2016, 06:30:37 AM- Was there a specific reason you left out the notes in M. 5, 7, 13, & 15 (right hand)?

You asked for it, not me... I put the pedal for something. -.-

Thanks for all your feedback!

daj

Zeta