Game: Pokémon Platinum Version
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Looker's Theme
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Altissimo

[attachment deleted by admin]

Altissimo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZNWs9fMvUo

There is a chance there are more issues than my normal fare with this simply because I'm not too good with DS music. Hopefully it isn't terrible though

daj

...no one's saying anything about this? Dang, why? :(

Mm, originally skipped across this areangement because I wasn't 100% sure what the original sounded like, but now I do! :)

~

On my first read I see a bunch of "LH"s and "RH"s. I was thinking if you could avoid that altogether by just changing staves, but I guess writing it in this way shows most clearly the three-part continuity. But something's not right about it, haha. I think it looks a little sloppy. Would it be possible to add in those half-bracket-thingies (i'll go check up on the proper name once i post this)? Otherwise, consider using "m.s" and "m.d." for playing with the right hand and left hand respectively. I'm cool with using English expressions in writing, but when it comes to performance directions, standardisation is key. So yeah. Tiny pet peeve there haha, but do consider making those changes :)

At b. 5 bt 1 I'm pretty convinced that this should be an F-sharp. If we're talking in a melodic sense then yes, a G-flat most effectively shows the melodic progression of the middle line. But this creates a false relation with the bass note and makes it confusing. So yeah, consider an F-sharp.

Also, dynamics at b. 14! The game music doesn't do it as effectively because of reasons, but since you're arranging this for piano, you have the liberty to add in some dynamics. Please do~

~

Though, that's all the theoretical stuff cleared! :) Might make a few more comments on musicality once I get more familiar with this track. Otherwise, a fine arrangement; all the best for your submission!

PetrifiedLasagna

Not much to say since dajwxp already hit up most of what I was going to say concerning the LH/RH symbols. It is just a little on the confusing side, and these parts fit quite nicely on the bass staff.

Also, I am not entirely sure about this, but there are quite a few parts where you can merge the two layers into for the LH into one. Still, I am not sure, because I also like to give individual voices a seperate layer  :P

Definitely a great sheet, that really captures the sound of the original. I have never heard this before so it must be a platinum exclusive.

Altissimo

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on June 10, 2016, 03:57:13 PMNot much to say since dajwxp already hit up most of what I was going to say concerning the LH/RH symbols. It is just a little on the confusing side, and these parts fit quite nicely on the bass staff.

Not... really?? in some places yes but in a few places they are like in the middle of the LH part... I guess i can play around with it some though

edit: ok it doesnt look that bad. Updated with all of both you guys' suggestions.

daj

Mm, not really what I was aiming at, hehe.

Yes, I did consider the idea of shifting everything to the left hand, but Altissimo knows her score - I recall an instance where we have a G-sharp in the middle part and an A in the bass part. So yes, things can get pretty messy. Plus, as a personal preference, I think the (harmonic) 7ths and 9ths are what define this piece, and there's no better way to present that than, well, in the same part. It's for the sake of presentation and I would argue that the way he's done it is the way to go :)

Erm, that being said, the half-bracket things! They give you the best of both worlds, hehe. For some reason neither a good example nor the formal name of that thing has come to me yet. They just come and go and are read pretty naturally, haha. But reaaaally do consider them~

go team half-bracket-thingies!

Altissimo

I'mma she!! and somehow I 100% missed this post. i'll go for the brackets lmao

edit: eh? PDF

daj

Quote from: Altissimo on June 14, 2016, 07:41:44 PMI'mma she!! and somehow I 100% missed this post. i'll go for the brackets lmao

edit: eh? PDF

Aaand i'mma blind. Sorry for that, fixed it! ^^; haha idek

Sweet! You did it! :D Just need to add the other side of the half braket thingies when you want the right hand to take over :)

Altissimo

oh right, i forgot thats what you have to do afterward. I will get to that later tonight

updated!

Onionleaf

Great song to arrange, I like it! Just a few small comments:

• I feel like you can add an extra "oomph" to the chords in mm 1, 9 & 19 - maybe have the right hand play in octaves, and adding an E to the second set of chords in m 9? Idk, have a think!
• Might want to flip around the notes of the 2nd layer in m3.
• Hide the unnecessary sharp accidental in m6 (Speedy tool > select note > press *).

Erm.. that's all from me! Looks awesome to me. :)

Altissimo

Quote from: Onionleaf on June 17, 2016, 02:22:02 AMGreat song to arrange, I like it! Just a few small comments:

• I feel like you can add an extra "oomph" to the chords in mm 1, 9 & 19 - maybe have the right hand play in octaves, and adding an E to the second set of chords in m 9? Idk, have a think!

Did this, except in m. 9 I just expanded the bass down by an octave. I left the E's out of the second set because I didn't hear them, so adding them back in would feel weird.

Quote• Might want to flip around the notes of the 2nd layer in m3.

Done.

Quote• Hide the unnecessary sharp accidental in m6 (Speedy tool > select note > press *).

... eh? unless you didn't mean m6, there's only one accidental in m6 and it needs to be there.

Updated tho

Onionleaf

Quote from: Altissimo on June 17, 2016, 08:17:24 AMDid this, except in m. 9 I just expanded the bass down by an octave. I left the E's out of the second set because I didn't hear them, so adding them back in would feel weird.

Fair enough! :)

Quote... eh? unless you didn't mean m6, there's only one accidental in m6 and it needs to be there.

This was what I saw - the accidentals are on different layers, hence why the 2nd one needs to be hidden manually.

Altissimo

Quote from: Onionleaf on June 20, 2016, 02:10:32 AMThis was what I saw - the accidentals are on different layers, hence why the 2nd one needs to be hidden manually.

wtf it wasn't showing up that way in my finale copy but when i downloaded it from this thread it was

fixed i think

Bespinben

Fix m. 6 (overlapping layers of C# on beat 1) and m. 9 (stem direction and vertical position of quarter rests), then you will be done.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Altissimo

Fixed, I think/hope. I don't know what kept happening with m. 6 lmao