[NDS] Pokémon Diamond Version & Pokémon Pearl Version - "Oreburgh City (Day) (Duet)" by dajwxp

Started by Zeta, June 11, 2016, 07:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Diamond Version & Pokémon Pearl Version
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Oreburgh City (Day)
Instrumentation Piano Duet
Arranger: dajwxp

[attachment deleted by admin]

daj

Original!

Audio + Sibelius PDF! :)

(edit 120616: so i somehow decided to say this was for two pianos, after all the effort i went through to make sure it was playable on one. hmm. fixed.)

FireArrow

at first glace:

Some of those rhythm groupings look wrong. (Dotted quarter, Dotted quarter) -> (Dotted quarter, eight(tie)Quarter)? Same with the measures ending in a dotted quarter. Also that bass line has a ton of ledger line, 8va/8vb?
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

daj

Quote from: FireArrow on June 13, 2016, 09:17:07 PMat first glace:

Some of those rhythm groupings look wrong. (Dotted quarter, Dotted quarter) -> (Dotted quarter, eight(tie)Quarter)? Same with the measures ending in a dotted quarter.

Ermm, yeah. I've heard about that kind of beaming before, haha xD

The reason why I don't completely agree with the kind of beaming you proposed is because of this thing called the Charleston rhythm - it's a jazz convention that groups notes into 3-3-2 (or 3-2-3). Plus, I think it looks a little messy if there's one of those thingies every two bars, buuuut that's just me. If it's conventional to group the Charleston rhythm using the tie through the second beat, then I'll make the changes. But thank you for pointing it out! ^^

QuoteAlso that bass line has a ton of ledger line, 8va/8vb?

Mm, I'm not too fond of using 8vbs through sections, which would be the case if I applied it. I think it's not too hard to read because of octave references - in the first section the note after the low note is always an octave up, and in the last section the low notes are paired with harmonic perfect octaves.

But it's just my view, once again! :) I'm willing to add in an 8vb if it's the convention here orrr if you can convince me to~ *wink*

Thank you so much for your comments and your reading!~

FireArrow

Quote from: dajwxp on June 14, 2016, 05:38:51 AMErmm, yeah. I've heard about that kind of beaming before, haha xD

The reason why I don't completely agree with the kind of beaming you proposed is because of this thing called the Charleston rhythm - it's a jazz convention that groups notes into 3-3-2 (or 3-2-3). Plus, I think it looks a little messy if there's one of those thingies every two bars, buuuut that's just me. If it's conventional to group the Charleston rhythm using the tie through the second beat, then I'll make the changes. But thank you for pointing it out! ^^

Hmm, you know you're stuff better than I do and the interwebz seems a bit ambivalent on the matter so lets go with your way. Maybe someone smarter than me will come around and clarify ;3

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler

QuoteMm, I'm not too fond of using 8vbs through sections, which would be the case if I applied it. I think it's not too hard to read because of octave references - in the first section the note after the low note is always an octave up, and in the last section the low notes are paired with harmonic perfect octaves.

But it's just my view, once again! :) I'm willing to add in an 8vb if it's the convention here orrr if you can convince me to~ *wink*

Thank you so much for your comments and your reading!~

Oh, I suck at sight reading music and didn't notice that. I'm absolutely 100% for not using 8va or 8vb if there's octave references, mostly because I forget to 8va things when playing and it ticks me off, but also because that's the way my chopin waltz books are notated. NSM might have it's own rules when it comes to 8va/8vb though so idk.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

daj

ahh, you did research for me! That should have been my job. Thank you so much, i'm humbled ^^

Quote from: FireArrow on June 14, 2016, 10:46:31 AMHmm, you know you're stuff better than I do and the interwebz seems a bit ambivalent on the matter so lets go with your way. Maybe someone smarter than me will come around and clarify ;3

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler

I do have a tiny bit of jazz experience, aaand it turns out that the fakebooks aren't in agreement with each other too haha. Oh well. The sheets on the site aren't in agreement too haha. Though they're from different years, and conventions might have evolved over time. Welp.

Thank you for digging the first example up though! ^^ Was looking for a counter-example to the one I had haha, so that was great :)

QuoteOh, I suck at sight reading music and didn't notice that. I'm absolutely 100% for not using 8va or 8vb if there's octave references, mostly because I forget to 8va things when playing and it ticks me off, but also because that's the way my chopin waltz books are notated. NSM might have it's own rules when it comes to 8va/8vb though so idk.

Believe it or not, I was thinking Chopin Nocturnes (and the Barcarolle) when I made that decision, hehe. Bloop! A point for both of us :)

Thank you for your time and for giving enough shites to dig up some theory! :) You're amazing.

Altissimo

Quote from: dajwxp on June 14, 2016, 05:42:12 PMahh, you did research for me! That should have been my job. Thank you so much, i'm humbled ^^

I do have a tiny bit of jazz experience, aaand it turns out that the fakebooks aren't in agreement with each other too haha. Oh well. The sheets on the site aren't in agreement too haha. Though they're from different years, and conventions might have evolved over time. Welp.

They have, and for the most part the site prefers to stick to the "standard" music-writing convention of "show the beginning of each strong beat where it might be obfuscated". There might be some fuzziness about pieces in like strict 3+3+2 etc but I haven't seen any of that personally so I'd say go with the non-obfuscated version...

daj

Quote from: Altissimo on June 14, 2016, 05:59:50 PMThey have, and for the most part the site prefers to stick to the "standard" music-writing convention of "show the beginning of each strong beat where it might be obfuscated". There might be some fuzziness about pieces in like strict 3+3+2 etc but I haven't seen any of that personally so I'd say go with the non-obfuscated version...

Ahh. Understood. Thanks for the clarification! I'll fix it on Friday night and re-upload the scores ^^

Soooo that means in a 3-2-2-1 scenario, we'd see a dotted quarter followed by tied quavers right?

Altissimo

Dotted quarter, tied quavers, then a regular quarter and then a quaver. (The idea is you only necessarily need to show beats 1 + 3, which means you can put a normal quarter on the off-beat of 3.)

daj

Quote from: Altissimo on June 14, 2016, 06:30:36 PMDotted quarter, tied quavers, then a regular quarter and then a quaver. (The idea is you only necessarily need to show beats 1 + 3, which means you can put a normal quarter on the off-beat of 3.)

Mm! Fixed and ready to go.

Made changes to beaming, as well as some minor engraving fixes ^^

daj

Re-uploaded the .mus and .pdf with some changes to the beaming in the bass (and the middle section, haha)!

also thanks to the ten people who downloaded the score/the overzealous guy who downloaded it twelve times! you're all/you are the best~

daj

daj

Bump! Reduce your driving speed~

edit: just remembered it's called a "hump". oh well. sounded cool in my head.

Bespinben

Lovin' that wonderfully edgy G7#5 cadence before the loop. Seems you've spelled it as G7(b13) -- equally arguable.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Zeta