[PC] Touhou 6: The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil - "U.N. Owen Was Her?" by WaluigiTime64

Started by Zeta, June 26, 2016, 01:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Touhou 6: The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
Console: PC
Title: U.N. Owen Was Her?
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: WaluigiTime64

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

WaluigiTime64

My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Zeila

Two small things I noticed:

- I'm guessing you omitted the notes in between the two quarters in the first eight measures (for example, the Ab in m1) for playability reasons
- Is there any particular reason why the beaming is different in m5-8?

Nice job btw!

WaluigiTime64

Yes to the playability thing.

No about the beaming thing. Just went over my head. (The beaming on Musescore and NotePad is different, so that may have been a contributing factor)

Everything should be fixed now.
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Onionleaf

Looking good! :) Just a couple of thoughts that came to mind:

• You might be able to add some repetition signs in  some places, since m. 62 & onward is the same as the part in mm. 18-32. It can help reduce the arrangement to only 3 pages long. Here's one option that might work: Add a D.S. sign to end of m. 61, that links to a sign at the beginning of m. 17. Then add a "D.C. al Fine" to end of m. 32 that only applies to the 2nd repeat (so add a text note such as "on 2nd repeat only"). Finally, add "Fine" to the end of m. 60, and remove the bars from m. 62 onward.
• Maybe add a glissando to the end of m. 16 to replicate that synth effect (whatever you call it, the one where the pitch slides down)?
• That drum rhythm might be worth adding in mm. 18-32 - even just a "pulse" going on every beat using the lowest note of the bass line would give that section more energy.
• I'd probably check through the articulation and dynamics to see if any cresc./dim. or accents could also be added.

Hope that helps rather than hinders (let me know if something didn't make much sense - I wouldn't be surprised considering it's almost midnight here  :o).

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Onionleaf on June 27, 2016, 05:15:01 AM• You might be able to add some repetition signs in  some places, since m. 62 & onward is the same as the part in mm. 18-32. It can help reduce the arrangement to only 3 pages long. Here's one option that might work: Add a D.S. sign to end of m. 61, that links to a sign at the beginning of m. 17. Then add a "D.C. al Fine" to end of m. 32 that only applies to the 2nd repeat (so add a text note such as "on 2nd repeat only"). Finally, add "Fine" to the end of m. 60, and remove the bars from m. 62 onward.

AAGH. NOTEPAD SUCKS TOO MUCH. Also I don't think it would shift it to 3 pages by itself, as it would leave the last 3 measures on the 4th page, which would look annoying.

Quote from: Onionleaf on June 27, 2016, 05:15:01 AM• Maybe add a glissando to the end of m. 16 to replicate that synth effect (whatever you call it, the one where the pitch slides down)?

I tried, but I just couldn't simulate the effect properly, so I went without.

Quote from: Onionleaf on June 27, 2016, 05:15:01 AM• That drum rhythm might be worth adding in mm. 18-32 - even just a "pulse" going on every beat using the lowest note of the bass line would give that section more energy.

That section is intentionally slower-paced than the previous section, so honestly I'd rather keep it that way. Also as a side note, the 2nd page it missing a courtesy accidental, and I would fix this myself, but NOTEPAD.

Quote from: Onionleaf on June 27, 2016, 05:15:01 AM• I'd probably check through the articulation and dynamics to see if any cresc./dim. or accents could also be added.

I added accents from M.17 - M.32, and from M.62 - M.77. I didn't really see any points to use the cresc./dim.

Quote from: Onionleaf on June 27, 2016, 05:15:01 AMHope that helps rather than hinders (let me know if something didn't make much sense - I wouldn't be surprised considering it's almost midnight here  :o).

Feedback is always good. Thanks!

WaluigiTime64

Zeta