The Donkey Kong 64 Unofficial Arrangement Project

Started by Sebastian, August 02, 2016, 09:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on August 08, 2016, 03:44:32 PMOne way is to get a previous version for (I don't remember the price) and wait to upgrade when they run a sale.
I thought I saw it at a music store once for like...$100. I may be wrong though...

And WOW. Excluding Zeila's and the ones I claimed, we are at an entire soundtrack.

Sebastian

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 08, 2016, 06:02:07 PMhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/FINALE-2014-5-MUSIC-NOTATION-SOFTWARE-DOWNLOAD-LOW-EDU-PRICE-2014-5-NEW-/321465996477?hash=item4ad8ddd4bd:g:5PoAAOSwd4tTySZP
Here's a pretty good price.
Nice. Free shipping too!

"Main Menu" fixed and added to the DB folder.

Also, I finished "Crystal Caves (Earthquake)." About half way done with "Army Dillo Rematch."

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Sebastian on August 08, 2016, 05:39:22 PMAnd WOW. Excluding Zeila's and the ones I claimed, we are at an entire soundtrack.
:O great job!
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Sebastian

"Jungle Japes (Underground) fixed and added to the DB folder. I do have some comments about this one, Waluigi.

First of all, other than formatting (I know it's because of your Finale Notepad limitation), you did an excellent job. Your ear has improved immensely ever since I've started working with you. You nailed just about every chord. I think there was just one that I had to edit. Great job!

For the future, don't forget to do C/Eb/F# instead of C/Eb/Gb in the key of C Minor. I had to edit that in quite a few of yours, including this one.

Great work.

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Sebastian on August 08, 2016, 08:06:07 PMOther than formatting (I know it's because of your Finale Notepad limitation), you did an excellent job. Your ear has improved immensely ever since I've started working with you. You nailed just about every chord. I think there was just one that I had to edit. Great job!
It really makes me happy to see that what I'm doing isn't all for naught, and that I'm actually getting somewhere. Thank you so much for helping me improve!

Quote from: Sebastian on August 08, 2016, 08:06:07 PMFor the future, don't forget to do C/Eb/F# instead of C/Eb/Gb in the key of C Minor. I had to edit that in quite a few of yours, including this one.
Ok!... Wait, this contradicts what you've told me before! You told me to use C/Eb/Gb because of the triad it created. Now you're telling me to use F# instead? I'm so confused. '

About the Finale thing: Those don't seem like bad prices! Now I just need to get a freaking job.

About the "Complete Soundtrack" thing: So, does that mean we're blatantly ignoring "Introduction"? I would, because that thing probably needs a 7 arranger collaboration or something. So many tempo changes...
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Sebastian

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 09, 2016, 12:07:09 AMIt really makes me happy to see that what I'm doing isn't all for naught, and that I'm actually getting somewhere. Thank you so much for helping me improve!
Makes me happy too!

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 09, 2016, 12:07:09 AMOk!... Wait, this contradicts what you've told me before! You told me to use C/Eb/Gb because of the triad it created. Now you're telling me to use F# instead? I'm so confused. '
I thought it was C/Eb/Gb because of the C diminished chord, but I was corrected by BespinBen. He showed me a helpful quote about it too. I'll see if I can have him post it...

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 09, 2016, 12:07:09 AMAbout the "Complete Soundtrack" thing: So, does that mean we're blatantly ignoring "Introduction"? I would, because that thing probably needs a 7 arranger collaboration or something. So many tempo changes...
Whoops, I wasn't very thorough...
Looks like we have "Introduction" and "Weapons Upgrade." I'll see about doing "Weapons Upgrade."
Anyone wanna do "Introduction?"
LAST CHANCE.

EDIT: "Crystal Caves (Igloo)" fixed up and added to the DB folder.

Sebastian

"Crystal Caves (Board Game)" fixed and added to the DB folder.

Comments:
Again, you did a great job. I love how your getting better at notating the fast upbeats in these type of songs. Remember, we'd rather have playable dyads than impossible triads :P
Great work with taking that to heart!

One criticism (other than formatting), don't be scared of ledger lines. I've noticed that you've been using 8va/8vbs where they aren't really necessary. I generally don't go above an E (right hand), but it really depends on the circumstances. It mostly depends on speed. If it's a fast song, I may use an 8va sooner than I normally would. For example, if it's a slow song, I may go the whole way up to G, but if it's a fast song, I probably will only go up to a C. It depends on the speed and style of the song...and on how comfortable the arranger with it.

Good job!

Sebastian

"Creepy Castle (Dungeon 4)" fixed and added to the DB folder.

Comments:
Now this is an example of the correct usage of "incorrect" usage for 8va/8vb. You used them correctly everywhere except M. 25-32. They aren't needed there, but by using them there, you only need to use one throughout the entire piece. Now we can just put a "Play left hand an octave lower." Nice work.

I would also like to point out that you didn't include the bass echo from M. 1-16. You could include that and I would recommend it, but I didn't edit it in. I believe the sheet is fine as it is if you that is what you so desire.

Something else I noticed in this one (and others). You put triads (right hand; first page) when the original is only dyads. I wouldn't recommend doing that since that is just adding notes that aren't there and could take away from the piece.

Nice job, again.

Sebastian

"Minecart Mayhem" fixed and added to the DB folder.

Comments:
Either have all triads or all dyads for the upbeats (LH). Having both sporadically placed is very inconsistent. For playability reasons and consistency reasons, I changed them all to dyads.

Again, marvelous work with note hearing. Also, I'm glad you took my courtesy accidental placing to heart! : )

Excellent work with your system and coda placement. Because of this, there are exactly 3 measures per system.

Great work!

Sebastian

"Boss Key Acquisition" fixed and added to the DB folder.
Good job. I just added two accents and fixed the formatting.

"K. Rool Defeated" fixed and added to the DB folder.
I changed a few clefs around. Also, don't forget to put double bar lines at key changes.
I added a few dynamics.

"Boss Room Opened!" fixed and added to the DB folder.
I rearranged the dynamics a little to better represent the original.

"Hideout Helm 2" fixed and added to the DB folder.
Don't forget to center all dynamics in your pieces.
Just did some odds and ends with this piece. Added some left out notes and took out some unnecessary notes.
Fun fact: This piece reminds me a lot of "Cauldron Keep" from Banjo-Tooie.

Great job with all these!!

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Sebastian on August 09, 2016, 12:02:45 PM"K. Rool Defeated" fixed and added to the DB folder.
I changed a few clefs around. Also, don't forget to put double bar lines at key changes.
I added a few dynamics.
Finale NotePad thing again... I can't have a double barline if there's a repeat barline. Even when MuseScore allows it, NotePad will not.

Thanks for making all of these comments! I'm finding them really useful!
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Sebastian

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 09, 2016, 12:19:23 PMThanks for making all of these comments! I'm finding them really useful!
I'm glad!

Also, "Before Boss" has been fixed and added to the DB folder. Great work. Just formatting with that one.

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Sebastian on August 09, 2016, 12:21:51 PMAlso, "Before Boss" has been fixed and added to the DB folder. Great work. Just formatting with that one.
Wait, what really? I swear I made a mistake with the flutes/piccolos. I guess they were just arpeggios...

Sebastian