The Donkey Kong 64 Unofficial Arrangement Project

Started by Sebastian, August 02, 2016, 09:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PetrifiedLasagna

This is pretty awesome you two. DK64 was probably the first game that I tried to master/collect everything in the game. Although, when I first got to K.Rool (K.Rool, krool, cruel, ahh...) I thought he was saying something a little more abbrassive than "Thank You"  ;)

I don't know if you would be interested in incorporating the duet version of "funky's armory" that I made. Although, I would have to go back and fix a lot of things since it is an old sheet and has some unorthodox notation.

Maybe, I could try my hand at "rocket barrel boost" definitely one of my favorites xD

Sebastian

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on August 09, 2016, 09:55:15 PMI don't know if you would be interested in incorporating the duet version of "funky's armory" that I made. Although, I would have to go back and fix a lot of things since it is an old sheet and has some unorthodox notation.
We'd love to incorporate it!

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on August 09, 2016, 09:55:15 PMMaybe, I could try my hand at "rocket barrel boost" definitely one of my favorites xD
Sure! That'd be great!
Luckily, I didn't start it yet, so it's all yours!

PetrifiedLasagna

okay, I have a pretty decent arrangement of "rocket barrel boost" going. I just have one measure worth of bass line to try and figure out.

I wanted to get your guy's opinions on using Acciaccaturas, crushed notes, or whatever you want to call them. There is a section at the end of the arrangement after the repeat that simulates it pretty well.

mus

Olimar12345

Why are there tracks listed as "Impossible and/or not needed?" I just listened to all of the tracks under this label and a lot of them seem quite doable. I don't understand what makes these tracks either impossible to arrange or unnecessary:

I've arranged track 2. Not sure how that one is impossible to do or why the rap would be "unnecessary."

Tracks 11-13 are doable similar to other fanfare collection sheets that have been done before.

Track 35's reason eludes me, and in fact I'll arrange that one.

Track 43 is again doable, just fast.

Track 45 same as 43, totally doable.

Tracks 46 and 47 would easily make another fanfare collection, like 11-13.

Track 55 just seems quick; again, totally doable. Am I spotting a trend?

Track 111 same thing

Track 137 short but totally possible (even the other four are arranged)

All of these tracks are possible to arrange, so are they listed as unnecessary because of their difficulty/length? If so, that's dumb.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on August 11, 2016, 07:02:13 AMokay, I have a pretty decent arrangement of "rocket barrel boost" going. I just have one measure worth of bass line to try and figure out.

I wanted to get your guy's opinions on using Acciaccaturas, crushed notes, or whatever you want to call them. There is a section at the end of the arrangement after the repeat that simulates it pretty well.

mus

Hey, this is pretty good! I would totally go for some acciaccaturas. Personally, I would notate them as grace notes, rather than sixteenths.

Here is some feedback:

- Don't forget to put in a BPM marking/metronome marking. It's set at QN = 240, but I'd put HN = 120 for the performer's sake. 
- Hmmm, the intro is a bit odd. How about a simple A minor scale?
- You seemed to have left the M. 19 bass line out. I added it in for ya.
- What do you think of the grace notes I added in?
- Dynamics ok for ya?
- You had just a couple wrong notes in the bass line on the second page. Should be good now.
- I updated the formatting.

Please tell me what you think! You did a wonderful job with the notes, especially with the speed of this song :P

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9sfmdibps7nmmm6/AACqL_26j3ANvKEskTnvL5iDa?dl=1

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 11, 2016, 09:49:32 AMI've arranged track 2. Not sure how that one is impossible to do or why the rap would be "unnecessary."
I believe this song is quite needed, actually. This is the only song I crossed out because of "arranger permission." Every song in the OP is there because I asked the arrangers if they wanted them included in this project. I didn't get around to asking you if you wanted your "DK Rap" included and I assumed you didn't want it included. This one is on me. My bad.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 11, 2016, 09:49:32 AMTracks 11-13 are doable similar to other fanfare collection sheets that have been done before.
I believe Waluigi and I decided to not do these (unless someone else would like to do them). I could pull some logs off skype about it, but I would need Waluigi's permission before sharing private logs. I don't believe it is right to share logs without permission from both parties.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 11, 2016, 09:49:32 AMTrack 35's reason eludes me, and in fact I'll arrange that one.
Thank you very much! Can't wait to see it. I'm sure it will be great.
Also:
Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 06, 2016, 03:24:10 PM- Jungle Japes (Minecart) is debateable when playability and arrangeability is concerned.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 11, 2016, 09:49:32 AMTrack 43 is again doable, just fast.
More "unnecessary" than "undoable." We have plenty of Aztec themes already and there are one or two similar to this one. Also, Waluigi had this one already arranged, he just decided not to include it iirc.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 11, 2016, 09:49:32 AMTrack 45 same as 43, totally doable.
Same as above reason. It's also super fast and would be extremely difficult on piano.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 11, 2016, 09:49:32 AMTrack 55 just seems quick; again, totally doable. Am I spotting a trend?
Reason:
Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 06, 2016, 03:24:10 PM- Frantic Factory (Conveyor Belt) is just (Production Room) sped up, as you have stated in the past. If I am wrong, then leave it.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 11, 2016, 09:49:32 AMTrack 137 short but totally possible (even the other four are arranged)
Drums, yeah.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 11, 2016, 09:49:32 AMAll of these tracks are possible to arrange, so are they listed as unnecessary because of their difficulty/length?
We were only planning on doing 85 sheets tops, not an entire soundtrack. I guess we had to cut back somewhere. Also, if anyone wants to do the songs that are crossed out, by all means, go ahead.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Sebastian on August 11, 2016, 10:22:11 AMI believe this song is quite needed, actually. This is the only song I crossed out because of "arranger permission." Every song in the OP is there because I asked the arrangers if they wanted them included in this project. I didn't get around to asking you if you wanted your "DK Rap" included and I assumed you didn't want it included. This one is on me. My bad.

...but you marked it (and the others) as "impossible/unnecessary," rather than just leaving them blank until they were claimed or done or something. If someone came along and saw it crossed out, their first impression wouldn't be to consider those tracks as possible options, they would skip over them.

Quote from: Sebastian on August 11, 2016, 10:22:11 AMWe were only planning on doing 85 sheets tops, not an entire soundtrack. I guess we had to cut back somewhere. Also, if anyone wants to do the songs that are crossed out, by all means, go ahead.

Isn't is highly irrelevant what the two of you want to do when you've posted it here for the community to also do? Like I said above, it's more of discouraging other arrangers from trying because of what you want/don't want to arrange.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

PetrifiedLasagna

Quote from: Sebastian on August 11, 2016, 10:22:11 AMHey, this is pretty good! I would totally go for some acciaccaturas. Personally, I would notate them as grace notes, rather than sixteenths.

Here is some feedback:

- Don't forget to put in a BPM marking/metronome marking. It's set at QN = 240, but I'd put HN = 120 for the performer's sake. 
- Hmmm, the intro is a bit odd. How about a simple A minor scale?
- You seemed to have left the M. 19 bass line out. I added it in for ya.
- What do you think of the grace notes I added in?
- Dynamics ok for ya?
- You had just a couple wrong notes in the bass line on the second page. Should be good now.
- I updated the formatting.

I'm typing fast so sloppy quoting.

Tempo: Ah, I see what you mean. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I encounter fast tempos.
Intro: I thought it added dramatic effect, but yeah that works too.
Missing Bass:
Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on August 11, 2016, 07:02:13 AMI just have one measure worth of bass line to try and figure out.
Contd: haha, you definitely saved me some time there. I swear, sometimes it's like I am tone deaf, and others it is like near perfect pitch. Probably has to do with the timbre of the instrument.
Everything else: Thanks!

Well, it seems pretty good to me. Unless you can think of any other things that could be fixed. I want to play it so badly, but that bridge  :o

Sebastian

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on August 11, 2016, 11:16:25 AMIntro: I thought it added dramatic effect, but yeah that works too.
It's up to you really!

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on August 11, 2016, 11:16:25 AMI want to play it so badly, but that bridge  :o
Haha, you'll have a time with this piece ;)

PetrifiedLasagna

Quote from: Sebastian on August 11, 2016, 11:26:18 AMIt's up to you really!

hmm, I listened to both and I think we should stick with the scale. It fits better melodically. I also listened to the song a few times and realized that it was the drums in the background (at the repeat) that probably influenced me xP

E. Gadd Industries

Dang! So, how far are you from this project closing?
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

WaluigiTime64

I think once Zeila posts the last sheets we'll pretty much be ready to go!
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Maelstrom

E. Gadd Industries

-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Maelstrom

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Latios212I appear confused because I always am confused.
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]