Arrangement Contest No. 8 in B# "Mix"olydian "Amalgamation"

Started by BrainyLucario, August 29, 2016, 05:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 29, 2016, 03:40:04 PMNah, that's not how it would be given to professional players. We're not about saving space here, but more about going beyond piano transcriptions, yet not going past the place where it still couldn't appear as a professional score.
*Obligatory "This isn't ninmidimusic post"*
What about the people who can only use 8 instruments due to Finale Notepad? Do you want us to take out several notes because of only having 1 trumpet rather than making 3 trumpet parts in one line? I literally cannot participate in this contest if I cannot put multiple notes for the same instrument to represent multiple of one instrument.

Static

A string ensemble (bass, cello, viola, violin) covers a wider range of notes, so it would make more sense to use separate staves for them. Trumpet parts are often written together anyway, so I don't see the harm in that.

At least, that's what I think...

cashwarrior1

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Static on August 29, 2016, 05:17:26 PMA string ensemble (bass, cello, viola, violin) covers a wider range of notes, so it would make more sense to use separate staves for them. Trumpet parts are often written together anyway, so I don't see the harm in that.

At least, that's what I think...
The awkward part is that my band teachers in school have consistently handed out first trumpet, second trumpet, third trumpet, etc. parts, all without such divisi parts (i.e. one note at a time). I've read band music with multiple trumpet parts on one page, but then again, they were published before 1910 so I don't know how much I trust them to handle modern band notation.

MaestroUGC

That's normal for bands, where there are multiple parts for a single instrument; less so in orchestral writing where like parts (like most winds and brass) will have 2-3 parts on a single line on the score. Players will receive parts with only their part on it, but the score will be consolidated.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

daj

+1 for the contest name <3

Erm, I remember seeing in the other thread that we can use any software as long as it looks good...so do we have to submit a mus? If I use Sibelius and accompany it with a playback video would that be okay? ^^

Going for a piano quintet for two, um, really awesome tracks. Trying to pull this off on Finale is quite tough for me haha, soooo if the alternative is possible that's great! ^^ If we really need mus files then I guess that's cool too, it'll be a cool challenge~

Oh! I won't be touching Pokemon OSTs for this hehe. Trying something crazy for a change~

cashwarrior1

Quote from: dajwxp on August 29, 2016, 06:55:22 PMIf we really need mus files then I guess that's cool too, it'll be a cool challenge~
Are you implying that you're going to win? XD

daj

DS

Yeah I was gonna ask the same thing, cuz I can make a great looking PDF and a MIDI in Musescore, but the MUS just ends up to be a mess after thing to export as a MusicXML and putting that into Notepad.

Also, does the arrangement have to be multiple instruments? Or can we just do a piano solo if we feel it would better compliment the pieces we chose to arrange?

BrainyLucario

Quote from: DS on August 30, 2016, 04:56:22 AMYeah I was gonna ask the same thing, cuz I can make a great looking PDF and a MIDI in Musescore, but the MUS just ends up to be a mess after thing to export as a MusicXML and putting that into Notepad.

Also, does the arrangement have to be multiple instruments? Or can we just do a piano solo if we feel it would better compliment the pieces we chose to arrange?
1. eh......it depends on if the judges are willing to let you. I'm okay with it, but then again....I won't be judging the pieces.
2. not necessarily,the instrumentation can be whatever you want it to be, even if it's only piano
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

BrainyLucario

Olimar12345

Any chance it could be changed to this?

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 29, 2016, 06:53:02 AMOh, and a reminder to format anything specific like variation markings, or whatnot as measure-attached expressions, NOT PAGE-ATTACHED TEXT so it attaches properly to the measures.

This makes more sense than "formatted dynamics" does.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Maelstrom

BrainyLucario

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 30, 2016, 08:17:51 AMAny chance it could be changed to this?

This makes more sense than "formatted dynamics" does.
Sure

Sebastian