Series: Super Mario
Game: Paper Mario: Color Splash
Console: Wii U
Title: Island in Violet
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: SombreroGuy123

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

Hi, welcome to NSM! Quite a solid sheet you got here. Can't check notes at the moment but here's some visual feedback:
- Composer/arranger info is too far to the right - use Ctrl+Shift+] to align it correctly.
- Try putting more space between systems on pages 1 and 3 - articulations on high/low notes get awfully close to the notes on other staves. You have some free space on page 3, so you can afford to shift everything down a bit.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

SombreroGuy123

Hi, thank you for this feedback!
Just corrected these two points.

nutella511

Just noticed that the eighth rest in measure 6 doesn't have the beam over it. Every other similar measure has it.

SombreroGuy123

JDMEK5

Good stuff, friend. Some things from me:

- Rather than using Garritan, I would suggest just using the SmartMusic SoftSynth. Long story but basically it makes it nice to those with an older version of ARIA.
- Measures 1-4 and 13-17, RH: I think you'd benefit more in these measures by using the treble clef. No reason to use bass clef so far as I can see.
- Measure 20-21: I'm not really sure where the sub. p is supposed to be. Maybe find a way to clear that up? Also you have extra space on the bottom of this page so feel free to not crunch things in so much
- Maybe some nicer spacing on the last page would be in order.
- Measure 23, RH: Db should be C#.
- Measures 17-23, LH: I'm not hearing the grace notes in here. Also, bonus points for you if you can find a way to make it clear that the bass has the melody (perhaps including but not limited to writing it in it's own voice rather than mish-mash with the rest of the bass accompaniment).
- Measures 17 and on: You're going to want to split dynamics, since I doubt you want the melody in the bass going subito piano like everything else. Put sub. p in the right hand and find a way to make the melody a bit more prominent. Especially if it's going to share a register with the bass accompaniment.
- Measure 22, RH: The clarinet bit has some wrong notes here. Starting at the triplet (to the end of the measure) the notes should be Bb, C, Bb, Ab, Bb.

There may be more yet, but that should hold you over for the time being.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Latios212

Oh, also the title, are you sure it's that?

Found this:

Vortex Island is a location in PMCS when I looked it up... then again I don't really know anything about the game or its soundtrack.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

nutella511

I've beaten Color Splash, and Vortex Island is the name of the level where this track is used.

Maelstrom

SombreroGuy123

Updated.
Quote from: JDMEK5 on December 14, 2016, 08:07:08 PM- Rather than using Garritan, I would suggest just using the SmartMusic SoftSynth. Long story but basically it makes it nice to those with an older version of ARIA.
OK.
Quote from: JDMEK5 on December 14, 2016, 08:07:08 PM- Measures 1-4 and 13-17, RH: I think you'd benefit more in these measures by using the treble clef. No reason to use bass clef so far as I can see.
Done.
Quote from: JDMEK5 on December 14, 2016, 08:07:08 PM- Measure 20-21: I'm not really sure where the sub. p is supposed to be. Maybe find a way to clear that up? Also you have extra space on the bottom of this page so feel free to not crunch things in so much
I made the measure wider and put the sub. p as far to the right as possible. Should look better now.
Quote from: JDMEK5 on December 14, 2016, 08:07:08 PM- Measures 17-23, LH: I'm not hearing the grace notes in here. Also, bonus points for you if you can find a way to make it clear that the bass has the melody (perhaps including but not limited to writing it in it's own voice rather than mish-mash with the rest of the bass accompaniment).
Deleted the grace notes and put the melody into an own voice.
Quote from: JDMEK5 on December 14, 2016, 08:07:08 PM- Measures 17 and on: You're going to want to split dynamics, since I doubt you want the melody in the bass going subito piano like everything else. Put sub. p in the right hand and find a way to make the melody a bit more prominent. Especially if it's going to share a register with the bass accompaniment.
OK, dynamics are split now. But I can't find any way to make that audible in the .mus and .midi files. It works with using different MIDI channels for the two systems but then there would be some problems with the dynamics that are assigned to both systems. Finale's user manual doesn't write anything about split dynamics and I feel I've searched through the whole internet without finding a solution. Perhaps I'm overlooking something obvious, but could somebody please tell me how to do it?  :-\
Quote from: JDMEK5 on December 14, 2016, 08:07:08 PM- Measure 22, RH: The clarinet bit has some wrong notes here. Starting at the triplet (to the end of the measure) the notes should be Bb, C, Bb, Ab, Bb.
Yeah, the notes were completely wrong here. But I'm not sure about the Ab, isn't it more an A ♮?

By the way I had to delete the pedal markings at the end because there were some issues with MIDI output after the repetition. But I don't think they were really necessary.

Oh, and I changed the name to "Vortex Island". Not quite sure if that's the official name of the soundtrack, but it seems to be used by majority so "Vortex Island" should be the better option here.

Finally, sorry for the long time since the last update, I had a lot of things to do in the past weeks.

JDMEK5

Quote from: SombreroGuy123 on January 15, 2017, 03:52:35 AMOK, dynamics are split now. But I can't find any way to make that audible in the .mus and .midi files. It works with using different MIDI channels for the two systems but then there would be some problems with the dynamics that are assigned to both systems. Finale's user manual doesn't write anything about split dynamics and I feel I've searched through the whole internet without finding a solution. Perhaps I'm overlooking something obvious, but could somebody please tell me how to do it?
It can be done, but it's a bit tricky. You were on the right track by splitting the channels though. Here's the rest of the procedure:

1) Make sure your channels are split. You had this which is good.
2) When placing a dynamic, you can right click the handle and one of the options from the drop down should open up a dialog box which should have an area to manually tell it which layer to affect in playback. I can't remember what it's called off-hand.
3) If you want a dynamic working on both staves/channels, put it down for either one, then go to the expression definition box and make a duplicate of the dynamic level you want.
4) Go to your new duplicate and hit "Edit". Hit the following things in order: The playback tab at the top, then back to the first tab, then check off the "Hidden" box. After that, hit OK.
5) You should now have a clone of the dynamic you want except that it'll be invisible. At this point it's more of a controller. Splat that sucker in right over the other one and make sure your invisible one is affecting the channel that isn't being covered by the visible one.

Sorry for the amount of ambiguity in that; I don't really remember what it all looks like as I don't have access to Finale atm.
*Oh also, if you didn't follow the proper order of operations in step 4, it may result in a hidden dynamic that doesn't actually do anything. If that happens, go to "Edit", then hit the playback tab and make sure it's affecting Velocity in the way that you want.

Quote from: SombreroGuy123 on January 15, 2017, 03:52:35 AMYeah, the notes were completely wrong here. But I'm not sure about the Ab, isn't it more an A ♮?
Yup you're right. A natural. My bad.

Quote from: SombreroGuy123 on January 15, 2017, 03:52:35 AMOh, and I changed the name to "Vortex Island". Not quite sure if that's the official name of the soundtrack, but it seems to be used by majority so "Vortex Island" should be the better option here.
Fabulous.

Quote from: SombreroGuy123 on January 15, 2017, 03:52:35 AMFinally, sorry for the long time since the last update, I had a lot of things to do in the past weeks.
Lol you're not the only one.

Something else that grabbed my attention actually were the grace notes. Make them slashed eighth notes instead of 32nds. If it throws the playback off a bit, oh well; but if it matters that much to you I think someone (was it Mael or FA?..) had a way to use invisible 3rd layer to manipulate the playback without affecting the visuals. But visuals are certainly highest priority.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

ThatHiddenCharacter

I don't know if I'm a bit late with this, but the official name for this song IS Island in Violet. The song plays on both Vortex Island and Lighthouse Island.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

ThatHiddenCharacter

It's in the sound test for the game. In the game. When you unlock the sound test.
Picture
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter