LeviR.star's Arrangements - Finishing Off Dragon Quest (NES) ~ 2 New Sheets

Started by LeviR.star, November 18, 2016, 04:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

On the first day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

1st/326th

[ARCADE] Popeye - "Music from Popeye"

[ZIP]

For the various sound effects, you are free to listen for them here. It's the best I've got.

You know this spinach-chomping sailor well! But did you know that this was the game that Donkey Kong was supposed to be? You can read about it on the Wikipedia page. It took me a while to get the page layout right, and even longer to identify the 1-Up sound effect (I even joined an arcade-themed Discord server to do so! Making some friends there now) but now more of the work of original Nintendo composer Yukio Kaneoka is here for you now! Enjoy!

EDIT: I'm going to see how long I end up lasting through the 12 Days of Sheet-Mas this year. Wish me luck!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

LeviR.star

On the second day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

2nd/327th

[BS-X] Satellaview BIOS - "St.GIGA Logo"

[ZIP]

Disclaimer: none of my other "12 Days of Sheet-Mas" sheets will be nearly this short. I'm just doing this one because it was going to be done someday, and because I need some extra time to study for finals. At this point, over half of the arrangements for this are done; I'm just struggling to get some help on them at the moment.

St.GIGA was the satellite radio company that partnered with Nintendo for the Satellaview broadcasts, and was given its own logo for loading screens before the games. It's a nice little jingle, and I'm bound to learn it by heart, so I hope you enjoy my arrangement of it. I wouldn't dare ignore the Satellaview BIOS for this Christmas; it's not going to be completed any time soon, but it will happen some day, and that's a promise.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

LeviR.star

On the 3rd day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

3rd/328th

[SNES] Super Mario All-Stars - "Final Bowser (Super Mario Bros. & Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels)"

[ZIP]

Yes, the above sheet title is officially my longest-ever!

This Christmas, I'll be releasing a few old work-in-progress sheets that I put on the back burner for several months; this one in particular had to wait the longest. With seven different voices playing at once for the intro, I had a very difficult time transcribing just two measures; when they split off into different patterns for the next four, I had an even harder time. But with Audio Overload at my disposal, I was able to write the seven measures into their own staves, and then combine them all into one, making a few sacrifices here and there. Much to my suprise, it turned out great, which is awesome, because I haven't had a new Super Mario All-Stars sheet since my pre-40th arrangment days. I hope you enjoy the unofficial Super Mario Bros. final boss theme, and my official 30th Super Mario sheet!

LeviR.star

On the 4th day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

4th/329th

[GB] Mega Man II - "Needle Man Stage"

[ZIP]

The wonderful Gavst3r directed me to the Visual Boy Advance emulator several months ago, giving me very, very limited access to Game Boy songs that could be split with no sound interference (but hey, it was groundbreaking at the time). Luckily for me, any stage in Mega Man II could be easily entered without the hassle of save states, thanks to the password system, and music didn't stop when the game was paused, so I was able to finally hear the separate parts for this song and trascribe them.

Once I had the channels written down, I fused together the non-melody lines so that only one note had to be played at a time (with good reason; layered over each other, they're a disaster in the original), and that cleaned up the song pretty nicely. What was once an impossible dream for my PA is here for you all now, so enjoy!

LeviR.star

On the 5th day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

5th/330th

[GB] Castlevania Legends - "Game Select"

[ZIP]

My first Castlevania sheet was arranged for Christmas under this game, so I thought I might as well continue on the tradition and do another that my scheduled allowed time for. This is a take on "Scarborough Fair", an old English ballad with no known composer, and while the Game Boy instruments for this particular arrangement are a bit grating (as with many other songs in this OST, actually), I think it sounds very nice on piano, so I did it. Credit to Latios for showing me how to offset layers where the notes crossed past each other. I currently have no plans to cover the entire soundtrack of this game, but I am not finished with it, so enjoy this one and stay tuned for more, hopefully the boss theme and a couple stage themes!

LeviR.star

On the 6th day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

6th/331st

[GCN] Animal Crossing - "K.K. Ska (Aircheck)"

[ZIP]

Just kidding, here's the real original.

"Is the discovery of this meme the sole reason you made this sheet?"

Why, yes; impulse arranging is the reason we have beauties like this one. Do you have a problem with that?

... didn't think so.

I don't have any interest in arranging any more Animal Crossing at the moment (yes, despite the fact I made a separate section for it), but I could easily be talked into contributing towards New Horizons's daytime themes next year. Enjoy this meme, but more importantly, enjoy this old WIP that finally saw the light of day!

LeviR.star

On the 7th day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

7th/332nd

[GB] Kirby's Dream Land 2 - "Boss"

[ZIP]

This is another sheet that pre-dates my current run on NSM; back before I was very serious about it, I tried this song, but didn't get very far into it. That original draft is long-gone, but recently I took another stab at it, and for a Kirby's Dream Land 2 song, it turned all right as a sheet! I can't guarantee you'll have a very easy time playing it, but for anyone out there crazy enough to want to play it, this should be a dream come true. Enjoy!

LeviR.star

On the 8th day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

8th/333rd

[GBA] Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 - "Bonus Room"

[ZIP]

The Super Mario Advance titles have a very limited number of original tracks, and this here is one of my favorites. Back before I submitted my sheet of the "World-e" map theme from this game, I debated arranging this song over the other, but then decided it would be better to start small. Now that I'm doing the 12 Days of Sheet-Mas with limited preparation, this song is a perfect choice for me to do. I hope you all enjoy this underappreciated bonus room theme from this very underappreciated game!

LeviR.star

On the 9th day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

9th/334th

[NES] Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse - "Riddle"

[ZIP]

Ooh, boy, I love me some Castlevania III! Some of it will be ridiculously hard to arrange, but I'm ready to someday arrange a ton of tunes from it, and not just the easy ones. "Riddle" here is one of my favorite pieces, and I'm sure it will be one of yours, too! Enjoy ~

... yea, not much to say about this one today, I know.

LeviR.star

On the 10th day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

10th/335th

[GB] Kirby's Pinball Land - "Title Screen"

[ZIP]

This is a fun little piece that's not too hard to play. It didn't exactly turn out as I hoped, but it's satisfying to have finished nonetheless. I have fond memories of playing my original Game Boy back in middle school, and out of all the games I owned for it, I played this one the most, and almost anywhere: at my brother's soccer practice, in the parking lot of Taco John's, you name it. But there's more to this song on the Internet than most would suspect. If you dare find out what I mean, go into the comment section of the above video. Just please don't go onto 4chan, or you will have ventured too far. You have been warned.

Enjoy my 75th Kirby sheet!

LeviR.star

On the 11th day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

11th/336th

[SNES] ActRaiser - "Sky Palace"

[ZIP]

Behold: more ActRaiser! I fell in love with this game's OST since the minute I started listening to it, and decided that for this Sheet-Mas, there would be no better song from it to sheet-ify than this one. With a whopping six-part harmony in some places, this staggering piece sounds incredible with a church organ soundfont in the Score Manager (just listen!). I hope you've got big enough hands for this; if not, I think you'll enjoy it just as well. More ActRaiser will eventually be on its way!

Merry Christmas Eve!

LeviR.star

On the 12th day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

12th/337th

[NES] Mega Man 2 - "Ending"

[ZIP]

I've got a family to spend time with in several hours, so I'll keep this very short: I think that Mega Man 2's ending theme was the perfect way to finish off my "12 Days of Sheet-Mas" this year, not just because arranging it took very little time, but because it's helped me reflect on this past year, and everything NSM's managed to accomplish. New arrangers, and new games to arrange from, but this is still the same wonderful community it has always been! So I'm going to close off my final Sheet-Mas post for the year with this:

Merry Christmas, and enjoy!

LeviR.star

We're back in business, baby!

338th

[SNES] Mega Man X2 - "Bubble Crab Stage"

[ZIP]

To celebrate having completed all 12 of my Christmas sheets on time, I thought I'd get back into the groove with an old work-in-progress: an unexpected Mega Man X2 sheet! I know I implied a while back that I likely wouldn't ever do a X series sheet again (after that disastrous Gravity Beetle affair), but back before I started this, I finally beat the first X game on the GameCube version of Mega Man X Collection, and proceeded to the second game. None of the Maverick stage themes were particularly catchy, except for this one, which I decided to give a shot. When I had trouble combining the bass and the mid-voice, I put it aside to work on other projects; coming back to it, I updated the formatting and finished the sheet, so that you all can see that I haven't completely given up on the X games. Enjoy!

LeviR.star

Today, we learn the difference between Baby Bowser and Bowser Jr.!

339th

[SNES] Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - "Baby Bowser"

[TOPIC]

This is, without a doubt, one of the trickiest songs I've ever taken on. The introduction of this sheet took almost 3 hours, and the rest of it took 4 more days of 2 hour sessions. The rest of it was just some periodic formatting adjustments and note fixes over the course of several weeks, and now it's finally available for you all to see. Good luck playing this arrangement, you'll need it!

340th

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. - "Bowser Jr. Battle"

[ZIP]

This old WIP, on the other hand, took much less time overall. I started it and got about a quarter of the way through, and then forgot about it. Coming back to it, I remembered that it wasn't so hard of a song, and finished it up lickety-split, with some nice playback meddling thrown in there just for kicks. Hope you like it, because it took me forever to find the YouTube source!

The differences between them are pretty simple, really. Baby Bowser is a younger version of Bowser who debuted in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island as the main antagonist. Bowser Jr. is Bowser's nearly-identical son who made his first appearance in Super Mario Sunshine as the secondary antagonist. Bowser Jr. has a drawing on his bandana, while Baby Bowser, when he wears one, does not.

And they both have awesome themes. Enjoy!

LeviR.star

You want to know what my New Year's Resolution is?

To finish all of my WIPs!

341st

[NES] Mega Man 5 - "Dr. Wily Stage" (Replacement)

[ZIP]

This sheet here has been rotting in my "Unfinished" folder for a very long time, after I decided at a point that I was not ready to take it on. Returning to it, I spent several hours trading parts between hands until I got something I was satisifed with, and here it is. Mega Man 5's OST is one of the more unfit soundtracks for arranging, so I'm not sure which one I'll be taking on -- probably "Dark Man Stage", we'll see. Enjoy!