LeviR.star's Arrangements - Finishing Off Dragon Quest (NES) ~ 2 New Sheets

Started by LeviR.star, November 18, 2016, 04:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libera

Just popping in to say Requiem looks really nice.  It's always great when something goes onto the piano way better than you're expecting it to.  Also more FF stuff is always appreciated!

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on January 10, 2019, 04:00:32 PMJust popping in to say Requiem looks really nice.  It's always great when something goes onto the piano way better than you're expecting it to.  Also more FF stuff is always appreciated!

Thanks, Libera! I always appreciate you coming into my PA to comment on my sheets :)

Even submission sheets gotta come here sometime™ ~

224th

[SNES] Kirby Super Star - "Gladiator Kirby"

[TOPIC]

I'll keep this short: I'm really satisfied with how this sheet turned out. I remember starting an earlier draft at least 5 years ago, before I joined this site, but it didn't get very far. But I am glad I could bring it to the site now, and I'd like to thank all those who have helped me improve it so far. Enjoy!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

LeviR.star

225th

[NES] Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse - "Beginning"

[ZIP]

Today, I present to you one of my more "toughie" sheets. I actually started the first, unshared draft of this back in August, but playability, accidental spelling and overall accuracy concerns prevented me from finishing this. Now, I have it pretty much the way I want it, but I'm still open to suggestions, because there's a few extra notes I added in to make up for some impractical rhythms. Enjoy, because if I get to feeling good enough about this one, it's going to the submissions board.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

LeviR.star

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 07, 2019, 09:18:39 PM... yea, you already know why.

Here's a game from a franchise I've finally taken on: Dragon Quest! These sheets are a little old (up to about a month or two), but I finally had time to post them tonight.

[NES] Dragon Quest

226th

People [ZIP]

Simple enough piece. Glad this one worked so well, especially with the LH stave-crossing.

227th

Dragon Lord [ZIP]

Picking out pitches was a little tricky here; the accidental spelling was a massacre. Thanks to Libera for the help!

228th

Fight [ZIP]

Accidentals were (slightly) easier on this one. But I went out of my way to make that battle intro happen, so y'all better appreciate it.

Before I conclude, I should mention a few things that have been keeping me for the past few months (some of which still are):

- Large Group Speech (our 8-person ensemble made it to All-State as performers)
- I've been cast as the lead in our spring play, Our Town, and still have my 16 hours/week of Set Construction work to attend to
- the Solo & Ensemble contest, which our school is hosting, preparation (10 songs -- 2 saxophone and 8 vocal, the latter of which need to be memorized)
- Regional Individual Speech contest, which happened Wednesday and now we're waiting for the All-Staters to be announced
- general high school senior things

But I'm happy the updaters didn't give up on me during my undeclared hiatus. Thanks, guys!

Here's to hopes that Erdrick (and Ryu Hayabusa!) find themselves beyond a leak and into the Smash universe! Enjoy!

Code_Name_Geek

Yay more Dragon Warrior/Quest music!!

Quote from: LeviR.star on March 15, 2019, 07:45:01 PMSimple enough piece. Glad this one worked so well, especially with the LH stave-crossing.
Maybe this is just me but I'd probably just play those thirds in the right hand and leave the left hand out on those beats so I don't have to make those large leaps. I'm not an amazing piano player though so that's just my unqualified opinion :)

Quote from: LeviR.star on March 15, 2019, 07:45:01 PMAccidentals were (slightly) easier on this one. But I went out of my way to make that battle intro happen, so y'all better appreciate it.
I think many would agree that the battle theme just doesn't feel right without that intro so good call!

My only comment on this arrangement is that it might be easier to read if the eighth notes in the left hand (starting at measure 3) were separated into beats instead of being beamed all together--something about seeing three eighth notes beamed together in 4/4 is a little jarring for me. But I'm not sure if that's an actual rule or just my personal preference, and it's a pretty minor complaint.

Anyways good job on these three sheets, and since this is my first time in your thread I also want to say congrats on all the successful arrangements you've made thus far!!

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on March 17, 2019, 04:47:12 PMMy only comment on this arrangement is that it might be easier to read if the eighth notes in the left hand (starting at measure 3) were separated into beats instead of being beamed all together--something about seeing three eighth notes beamed together in 4/4 is a little jarring for me. But I'm not sure if that's an actual rule or just my personal preference, and it's a pretty minor complaint.
Just popping my head in to say that I do agree with this and I tend to do that in whatever I write these days. There are a number of times when I've given music to students that has beaming like this and it leads to unnecessary confusion. Unfortunately it's a default setting to beam them together but I think it can be changed (or you can just break them manually).

LeviR.star

Oh hey some feedback :o

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on March 17, 2019, 04:47:12 PMMaybe this is just me but I'd probably just play those thirds in the right hand and leave the left hand out on those beats so I don't have to make those large leaps. I'm not an amazing piano player though so that's just my unqualified opinion :)

Y'know, you're right. I'll admit that I've been experimenting lately with stave-crossing, but it's pretty unnecessary here, I should say. I watched a lady in this performance use the technique, but her RH takes over quickly enough for the LH to make it back, so I should just go with your suggestion. Thank you for pointing that out.

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on March 17, 2019, 04:47:12 PMMy only comment on this arrangement is that it might be easier to read if the eighth notes in the left hand (starting at measure 3) were separated into beats instead of being beamed all together--something about seeing three eighth notes beamed together in 4/4 is a little jarring for me. But I'm not sure if that's an actual rule or just my personal preference, and it's a pretty minor complaint.

I wouldn't know enough theory to give you honest thoughts about beaming in that case, but what if I were to change the third LH 8th note in each measure to a quarter? That might solve the problem, and even if the MIDI will sound different, that won't matter.

Gonna update these sheets as soon as I can.

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on March 17, 2019, 04:47:12 PMAnyways good job on these three sheets, and since this is my first time in your thread I also want to say congrats on all the successful arrangements you've made thus far!!

Hey, thanks so much! That really means a lot to me. Welcome to NSM :D

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on March 17, 2019, 05:19:53 PMJust popping my head in to say that I do agree with this and I tend to do that in whatever I write these days. There are a number of times when I've given music to students that has beaming like this and it leads to unnecessary confusion. Unfortunately it's a default setting to beam them together but I think it can be changed (or you can just break them manually).

Oh hey, Deku! Glad to see you popped in last minute here. Do you approve of the quarter note idea?

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: LeviR.star on March 17, 2019, 05:21:56 PMI wouldn't know enough theory to give you honest thoughts about beaming in that case, but what if I were to change the third LH 8th note in each measure to a quarter? That might solve the problem, and even if the MIDI will sound different, that won't matter.

I think it could be done either way. Using a quarter note is a more conventional rhythm and as the arranger you could choose to write it that way to make it more familiar to anyone reading it and leave the interpretation up to the performer. But if your intention is to replicate the sound of the original as closely as possible, with each note being of equal length, then you might choose to keep it as eighth notes (though I'd still suggest breaking the beams into beats for readability). It's entirely in your creative license as arranger to do it whichever way suits your goal for the arrangement!

manymaniyaa

Quote from: LeviR.star on November 22, 2016, 02:50:08 PMThanks for the help! Now, should the version you gave to me go to the submission forums? Or do I need to edit it?

You can post similar to the web which are encourage the titans

Yug_Guy

LeviR.star

I think it's about time I got back into the groove of sheetmaking with something. Something like, for example...

The  C r a z y  Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle Arrangement Project!

[NES] The Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle

229th

Title Screen [ZIP]

230th

Menu [ZIP]

231st

Building [ZIP]

232nd

Pipe World [ZIP]

233rd

Warehouse [ZIP]

234th

Flat Brick (Game Boy) [ZIP]

235th

Concrete (Game Boy) [ZIP]

236th

Stage Clear [ZIP]

237th

Stage Clear 2 [ZIP]

238th

Miss [ZIP]

239th

Game Over [ZIP]

240th

Continue [ZIP]

241st

Ending [ZIP]

I call projects like these "impulse projects", and they come about because...

a.) They're easy to arrange
b.) They're short
c.) I arrange the entirety of them out of impulse

But, like other dedicated games within my PA, this is just another experiment to test my arranging abilities/methods and see how they evolve over time.

This game was first released as Roger Rabbit in Japan for their Famicom Disk System, to market off of the then-popular film Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Because Rare was already working on their own Roger Rabbit game for release in the United States, Kemco, the game's developer, gained a license from Warner Bros. and changed the main protagonist and enemy characters to those from the classic Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts, resulting in The Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle. This game was ported to the Game Boy, but due to licensing issues overseas, it was re-branded in different worldwide regions with alternate characters such as Mickey Mouse, Garfield and Woody Woodpecker across a span of 4 sequels down the Game Boy line. Will I be arranging for these other games? No. Don't tempt me

Arranging these sheets didn't take a lot of effort, but I'm dead tired from updating my PA with 13 new sheets after not posting here for so long. So, whether you cared to know about this game in the first place, enjoy! My next sheet will either be from Ninja Gaiden (NES) or The Final Fantasy Legend again.

P.S: This game is somewhat notable on the old Internet. Check it out.

LeviR.star

Back into the groove!

242nd

[GB] The Final Fantasy Legend - "Town"

[ZIP]

Just like "Requiem" a few posts back, this Final Fantasy sheet translated very nice to piano, and I'm very satisfied with it. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I enjoyed putting it together. More from this game is still to come!

In the mean time, I'm going to try to figure out the Active Time Battle system. help me i wanna play these games

LeviR.star

We interrupt this nonexistent flow of sheets with a set of Mega Man "Stage Select" themes from the NES era!

243rd

[NES] Mega Man 2 - "Stage Select"

[ZIP]

244th

[NES] Mega Man 3 - "Stage Select"

[ZIP]

245th

[NES] Mega Man 5 - "Stage Select"

[ZIP]

246th

[NES] Mega Man 6 - "Stage Select" (Replacement)

[ZIP]

In case you don't remember, I have already arranged a replacement for the first game's "Stage Select", as well as a sheet for that of 4's (Since I already have some pretty bad ones arranged under the latter game, I'll be re-writing them all at once for another PA update). Since I finally got to play through more of Mega Man 11 recently, I'm predominantly arranging from this series at the moment (mainly from the NES era, which needs some help. Sorry, Game Boy games.) More Mega Man is on its way, and since I'm officially graduated from high school, I mean it this time! Enjoy!

LeviR.star

Did you miss me? I hope not.

247th

[NES] Mega Man 4 - "Title Screen"

[ZIP]

I noticed the other day that I can't remember the entire loops of Mega Man 4 - 6's title screen themes, and thought about how many people actually stay on the title screen to listen to the whole song (turns out, not many). So, as tricky as it was to work out the glissandos and 2nd layer, I made this one happen, but since I'm not entirely certain of its quality, I'm going to submit it come the next update. Until then, more Mega Man! Enjoy!

LeviR.star

Two more Mega Man sheets today!

248th

[NES] Mega Man - "Stage Start"

[ZIP]

249th

[NES] Mega Man 2 - "Stage Clear"

[ZIP]

These may be some of the most recognizable tunes in the Mega Man library. The two of them are both the originals to the well-known "Stage Start" and "Stage Clear" themes heard in almost every game in the series, so I knew that they just had to be arranged, being history and all.

It may be a few more days until my next update, but enjoy these for now!