LeviR.star's Arrangements - 3 New Sheets (Ghosts 'n Goblins, Deltarune, Mega Man 2)

Started by LeviR.star, November 18, 2016, 04:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

As usual, I'll be showing off (and possibly explaining) my latest submissions today!

0th - 40th? (Re-Write)

[NES] Mega Man 2 - "Boss"

[TOPIC]

It's been so long since I last touched this one! But in the five years since I arranged it first, no one else has given this one a go, so now that the original game is finally done, we're moving on to the next title in the series. Next up: either "Flash Man Stage" or "Dr. Wily Stage 2", or maybe neither of these, idk... there's lots of options here. Cheers!

386th

[PS2] Silent Hill 3 - "Never Forgive Me, Never Forget Me"

[TOPIC]

This sheet is certainly the black sheep compared to the rest of my output. Why on earth, you may ask, would I decide to arrange this song, from a survival horror game on the PlayStation 2?

This is why. Don't judge me.

Will I arrange more Silent Hill sheets? Probably not, but hey, it was fun while it lasted.

For my next PA update, you can expect the first sheet for this year's "12 Days of Sheet-Mas" series, taken after Maelstrom's tradition. I'm in the process of arranging all of them ahead of time, so you need not worry about me making it through—I've got it this time! I'll see you all on the 14th of December, and don't forget to enjoy!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

LeviR.star

On the first day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

1st/387th

[ARCADE] Radar Scope - "Music from Radar Scope"

[ZIP]

Quote from: LeviR.star on December 14, 2019, 09:55:57 AMEDIT: I'm going to see how long I end up lasting through the 12 Days of Sheet-Mas this year. Wish me luck!

Ain't that the truth. You know the rules, guys!

- can't have multiple sheets from a single game
- can't have more than two sheets from a single franchise
- If we hit 12:00 AM CST and I haven't uploaded my daily sheet yet, the challenge is over

Back in the early days of Nintendo's gaming stint, when they were still working with Ikegami Tsushinki on arcade titles, Radar Scope was their take on the shoot 'em up formula popularized by Space Invaders just two years prior. It was one of the first projects for employees like Shigeru Miyamoto and Hirokazu Tanaka, and for a short while after release, it looked to be the success they were looking for. So, naturally, they produced 3,000 units for Nintendo of America, and shipped the cabinets over to the states. However, by the time they made it overseas and four months had passed, the market was no longer interested in Radar Scope, leaving a whopping 2,000 unsold units collecting dust in a warehouse. On the verge of a financial crisis, Nintendo decided that the unsold cabinets could be converted for a new game release: Donkey Kong. I think you know the rest of the story from here.

This game's music is very primitive, but hey, what can you expect from 1980, the year that brought us the soundtrack for Pac-Man? There are no jingles, fanfares, or even tracks that utilize more than one part (the game needed room for copious amounts of sound effects, mind you). All we've got is four tracks: BGM #1, 2, 3 and 4—normally I'm more creative with names for these compilations, but what more can I do? Background music is all it is, and each track plays one after another, depending on how many alien spaceships you've destroyed. You're probably asking yourselves, "who is actually looking for sheet music like this?" and that's a fair point. But c'mon, people! This is history! Realistically speaking, the only simpler sheet this site would have any business hosting would be this one. Whether or not I'm crazy enough to waste a submission slot on a sheet like that is up to you.

With all that explanation out of the way, enjoy, and I'll see you all tomorrow!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

LeviR.star

On the second day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

2nd/388th

[NES] Tetris - "C Theme"

[ZIP]

Y'know, I don't get it. Nintendo's NES and GB versions of Tetris both have the following similarities:

- developed by Bullet-Proof Software
- released in 1989
- music by Hirokazu Tanaka
- sold millions of copies right off the bat
- still played in tournaments to this day

And yet, even with all that going for them, the NES version's only got one sheet on the site! What's up with that? I can understanding omitting the B Theme, since that's already covered by the GB version's sheet, but the A Theme! That's "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies", for Pete's sake!

... come to think of it, that would've been a much more fitting idea for a Christmas arrangement...

I think I should cut this rant short now. I've said too much.

Enjoy this Hip Tanaka original!

LeviR.star

On the third day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

3rd/389th

[ARCADE] TwinBee - "Stage Theme 1"

[ZIP]

It's TwinBee! You guys remember TwinBee, don'tchya? Cutesy shoot 'em up from Konami where the bells act as power-ups?

The NES version got a 3D Classics remake?

... two of the games are on the Nintendo Online service?...

Anyone?

*starts typing*
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

Ah, I see. Well, anyway...

Enjoy!

Kricketune54

Obviously, this inspired Mahito Yokota when making Gusty Garden Galaxy

LeviR.star

Quote from: Kricketune54 on December 16, 2021, 06:24:48 PMObviously, this inspired Mahito Yokota when making Gusty Garden Galaxy

Real-time reaction
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

On the fourth day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

4th/390th

[3DS] Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn - "Devilish Mode"

[ZIP]

ATTENTION, SHEEP! Why replay a classic title like Kirby's Epic Yarn from the comforts of your living room when you can play its enhanced port on the go! Featuring:

- a downgraded visual aesthetic, the main charm of the original!
- no multiplayer mode, even though Prince Fluff is literally on the box art
- like three new music tracks!

... and much, much more! (Not really)

I kid, I kid; there really are some additional upgrades to this game you should check out for yourself. But was it really worth porting to the 3DS, of all systems? And only nine years after the original? I'll let you be the judge on that one, but personally, this was one of the first Kirby titles I remember passing on.

Enjoy this fun little piece!

LeviR.star

On the fifth day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

5th/391st

[GEN] Castlevania: Bloodlines - "The Prayer of a Tragic Queen"

[ZIP]

So I was working on this sheet, right? I usually start on the melody as soon as I get the right number of measures added in, so this was somewhat early in the process. When I got to measure 14, I noticed something very familiar:

You cannot view this attachment.

My first thought was, "No way! C-could it be?"

It didn't take me long to brush this off and decide, "Eh, it's only 7 notes with the same rhythm in the same exact key, gotta be a coincidence"

But then I remembered the title of the sheet I was working on.

???

Now, I'm not saying this wasn't a coincidence, and yet...

... I'm also not saying it was.

Cheers, everyone! Enjoy!

LeviR.star

On the sixth day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

6th/392nd

[NES] Mighty Final Fight - "Bay Area (Round 5)"

[ZIP]

We're halfway through the 12 Days of Sheet-Mas, folks! Now, I don't even remember how I came across this soundtrack, to be perfectly honest with you. I've never heard of this game before, and beat-'em-ups bore me to tears, so this had no business coming to my attention. That said, I'm glad it did, because this OST is a

STRAIGHT

UP

BOP.

Seriously, go check it out! Lots of catchy tunes in this one, and no wonder! It's got Yuko Takehara behind it, the composer for Mega Man 6! (No wonder its music sounded awfully familiar)

Or, y'know, don't. What do I look like to you? The VGM police?

Enjoy! (Phew, I almost forgot to post this sheet by midnight. It's been a long day...)

LeviR.star

On the seventh day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

7th/393rd

[3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - "Ambush Maneuver"

[ZIP]

The first time I played this game (good times), it took me forever to beat this boss. Not because I kept dying, but because it was so hard for younger me to aim and fire the Boos into the train's carriages. And you see, the problem with a battle like this is that the music tends to get a bit... repetitive. Oh, but not this music though, right?

Especially this music, actually.

It's not a bad song, don't get me wrong. But like the Boolossus theme from the first game, it's definitely too short for its own good. That said, it makes for a great keyboard piece, so I encourage you to give it a shot.

Enjoy! The rest of the sheets from here on out will be a little more ambitious (but not terribly so).

LeviR.star

On the eighth day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

8th/0th - 40th? (Re-Write)

[GB] Mega Man II - "Crash Man Stage"

[ZIP]

You ever cringe at the thought of your old forum posts? I sure do, so much that I've sworn off going back and reading them, for fear of inducing physical harm upon myself. Take this submission thread of mine, from October of 2016, as an example. As it was only my third submission at the time, I was very unfamiliar with how the process worked, and in my first post to the thread, I listed a whole bunch of demands for the updaters to fulfill. Most of these "requests" stemmed from Notepad's limitations, but a few of them suggested that I believed it was the staff's job to fix the sheet for me; that's no good.

Latios kindly informed me that the Personal Arrangements board was a much better place to ask for formatting help, so I took his advice and headed over there. Unfortunately, I still didn't understand how things on NSM worked, and created an entirely new thread for this single sheet, instead of adding it to my existing PA. After receiving some advice from Maelstrom, I brought the updated files back into the submission, and waited some more (I still didn't understand.) Unsurprisingly, my sheet was sent to the archive a couple of weeks later, and I haven't touched it since. Which brings us to today, over five years later!

The older version of this sheet is, without a doubt, an eyesore. The systems are horribly compressed, the stems are flipped in every conceivable wrong direction, and it's clear that I had no concept of "playability" when writing it. And yet, all that aside, the transcription holds up pretty well, if I do say so myself. I don't know why it took me so long to re-write this sheet, but it's better late than never, I suppose. I might even consider submitting this version for kicks and giggles. Should I? (I'm gonna do it anyway...)

Oh, and in case a few of you weren't aware, Mega Man II and Mega Man 2 have entirely different soundtracks; I'm not gonna get into another spiel about the former right now. Enjoy this re-written sheet, at long last!

LeviR.star

On the ninth day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

9th/394th

[Wii] Wii Chess- "A Game of Chess 3"

[ZIP]

Quote from: LeviR.star on May 25, 2021, 07:16:04 PMWii Chess was released exclusively in Europe, and later in Japan through the WiiWare service. Scott The Woz did a video about this game, and while I didn't watch it, I looked into the soundtrack, and was lucky enough to find it. The compositions are okay, nothing outstanding, but the piano soundfont? It's apalling! So, you could say the main reason I'm arranging for this game is because I intend to "remaster" its OST, because, let's face it, even Finale playback sounds better than this.

It is relaxing music, though, so I hope you enjoy!

^^ This description of Wii Chess from last spring still holds up. What else do I have to say about it, then?

Transcribing for it drives me absolutely bonkers!!

I'm starting to wonder if the composer was A.) On a time crunch to complete this soundtrack, or B.) Not interested in writing for it in the slightest. Why? Because this music just drags on and on! This track loops at nearly 3 minutes in, and during those 3 minutes, almost nothing even remotely interesting is happening. No key changes or modulations, no additional parts jumping in to join the piano, nothing. There's hardly even any recurring patterns throughout, let alone a melodic motif. Just the world's most bland keyboard solo, which no one asked me to arrange. The only reason I did this was because it sounded better on Finale playback than with the piano soundfont it was using.

Though, maybe it's good that the music is this boring. After all, the player should be focusing on the chess board, not the soundtrack; no wonder the game includes an option to mute the in-game BGM entirely. Kenichiro Iwasaki, you clever son of a gun, you were leagues ahead of us the entire time!

Enjoy! Or don't. You probably won't, come to think of it, so don't even bother. Goodbye.

LeviR.star

On the tenth day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

10th/395th

[NES] Mega Man 4 - "Dust Man Stage"

[ZIP]

The Mega Man 4 section on the site is not in great shape. Right now, it only has 10 of the OST's 28 tracks, and over half of them are arranged by Commander6, whose works have aged, er... rather poorly in the last decade of NSM history. Normally we're pretty good about replacing them, but Minae Fujii's counterpoint makes MM4 sheets difficult to arrange, so in order to make them playable, substantial amounts of sacrifices need to be made to the originals. Will this game ever see on-site completion? Well, probably not while I'm still around, but maybe someday. I was just happy to finish this sheet here, "Dust Man Stage", which I had first attempted 5 years ago, then gave up 8 measure into the piece. This time around, it only took me a couple of hours. Funny how that works, huh?

Anyway, I hope you Mega Man nerds (looking at you, Jake) enjoy this sheet! And for the love of God, help me finish this game's OST...

LeviR.star

On the eleventh day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

11th/396th

[SNES] Kirby's Dream Land 3 - "Grass Land 4"

[ZIP]

I love the music of Kirby's Dream Land 3. The melodies are catchy, the arrangements are so refined, and the instruments sound oh-so-good; the only problem with it is that there's not enough of it. It's a shame that even though both its music and graphics pushed the SNES to its limitations, most of the world had moved onto the next generation console, the Nintendo 64. But no matter! Though the original cartridges fetch a pretty penny, you can play this game on your Wii with Kirby's Dream Collection. Better yet, you can download the ROM from wowroms.com and play it on an em-

*struggling noises, muffled yelling*

Get exclusive access to classic NES™ and Super NES™ games on your Nintendo Switch™ system with a Nintendo Switch Online membership. Now introducing a new Nintendo Switch Online membership plan with expanded benefits, including Nintendo 64™ games. Thank you for your money.

*drags self back into scene, coughing violently* ... well, at least I hope you enjoy this brand-new Kirby sheet!

LeviR.star

On the twelfth day of Sheet-Mas, my true love gave to me...

12th/397th

[WiiU] Super Mario 3D World - "Fuzzy Flood Mine"

[ZIP]

The Wii U era may not have seen fantastic sales for Nintendo, but man, they really stepped up their music production value. This game had live ensemble recordings for most of its OST! (more than we can say for Super Mario Galaxy, anyway) That's a big deal, people! You don't need me to tell you that, but still—this was a big step up for the Super Mario games' soundtracks. "Fuzzy Flood Mine" is one of my favorite tracks from this game, and I can't wait to submit it and potentially have it placed among other great songs like "Chain-Link Charge" and "Shifty Boo Mansion". Here's to hopin'!

Speaking of hopin', I hope you liked my batch of sheets from this year's 12 Days of Sheet-Mas. My PA thread didn't see many sorely-needed additions this time around, but I was just happy to be a part of the tradition again. Enjoy, and have a happy holiday!

LeviR.star

On the thirteenth day of Sheet-Mas, my-

Nah, just kiddin'. On with the sheet!

398th

[ARCADE] Ghosts 'n Goblins - "Stages 3 & 4"

[ZIP]

You all know the "Stages 1 & 2" theme of Ghosts 'n Goblins by heart (unless you're Atcero,) but as the title suggests, it's not the only stage theme in the game. The song I've arranged for you today plays during the two "cave" levels of the original, and I mean the original. I say this because NES version's "remix" sounds completely different, and a bit more sinister, as well as grating on the ears, but that's another discussion. Cool Tidbit: the Caverns of the Occult theme from Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection incorporates part of the OG's melody into the song. I didn't feel like arranging these other two versions to accompany the original here, so you're gonna have to beg if you wanna see those (which you won't do). Enjoy!