Started by Latios212, December 28, 2016, 06:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onionleaf

I'll take the following:

D1 17 - Departure
D2 02 - Get Master Sword
D2 16 - Zelda's Awakening
D2 35 - Wind Temple

These should keep me preoccupied for the whole time of this project. :)

Sebastian

Quote from: Brassman388 on December 30, 2016, 03:25:49 PMA worthy attempt, but simple is always better.

I put my revisions on another grand staff under the original.

mus
Actually, that's what I originally had. I got the current idea from Olimar (through Latios). I believe that the way I had it is better. It puts the melody on the on-beats instead of the off-beats and I feel it is correct, simple or not.
Also, the changes you made with the staff/clefs etc. don't account for all the voice incorporations and it doesn't make it that much easier.

Sebastian

Double post.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on December 29, 2016, 04:42:24 PMTry and think less about note combinations and more about the underlying theory. For example having a tonic diminished chord in a minor key (or even a major key) given the context, just doesn't make sense. But if you look past the repeated chords and look at it a bit more horizontally and in the context of voice leading, then you'll see that it's just a chromatic neighbour note. Look for elements of theory and let that guide you, not individual notes.
Ah, makes sense.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on December 29, 2016, 04:42:24 PMAlso in the middle of the 2nd or 3rd line on page 2 (I forgot where, I'm on my phone) where the bass note changes from E flat to E natural on the bar line, a courtesy accidental would help.
Sweet. I'll go ahead and update that asap.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on December 29, 2016, 05:04:39 PMFarewell Hyrule King

Hoo boy, that took a lot longer than I thought it would. (Those chords at the end were awful to arrange, I tell you; they didn't have any pattern as to what notes were and weren't included.) A few concerns of mine:

• It'd be nice if someone could check/correct my enharmonic spellings, because I'm unsure for most of them.
  • I'd also like some feedback on my pedal markings (mainly m25 and m26) since I'm not sure whether to hold it the whole measure or change it in between. I'm also not sure whether or not I should be including the pedal at all at m33+ since it blurs the low notes.
Yo, LOVE THIS SONG. You've got a beautiful arrangement here!

Couple of things:
- M. 1-16 (LH): The first notes of each of these seem to have more force than the others. Maybe you could accent them.
- M. 17-21 (LH): You're missing the added octave. For example:

- M. 22 (LH): There is an Eb in there you're missing.
- M. 17-24 (LH): Same as M. 1-16. Seems like some of these notes are almost being pounded; that's how accented they are, especially the eighth notes on beat 4 of M. 23.

But yeah. I love it! I am gonna add this song to my three-ring binder for sure. :P

Olimar12345

I agree with where on the beat mlf had it before, but maybe I don't get this because I completely disagree:
Quote from: Sebastian on December 30, 2016, 07:06:34 PMAlso, the changes you made with the staff/clefs etc. don't account for all the voice incorporations and it doesn't make it that much easier.

How about a compromise?

[MUS]
The way Brassman organized the ostinato was worlds easier to read than the monotony that was there before, but I agree with mlf that it sounds more like down beats than constant syncopation.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: FireArrow on December 29, 2016, 05:51:16 PMDeku is probably gonna call me out on this, but change 26 to a Db. G minor -> Gdim -> F# dim 7 -> G minor makes sense and I don't care about no neighboring chromatics.
Source material: Bar 31
i - V/V - viio7 - i

Just because the RH twiddles includes some material which echoes LoZ underground and obscures the harmonies a bit, doesn't change that the melody screams A major.

FireArrow

i was just testing you quick change it back to an A# msf
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

The Deku Trombonist

Menu Select - Sebastian:
- The pianist will use pedal how they feel like it, so do you really need to write 'pedal recommended'? It just sounds odd.
- Any reason you put the bass note A up an octave halfway through bar 2?
- You've already marked at the beginning that the bottom two staves are for the LH so why have the lines every bar or so? It's redundant.
- Make sure the 16th rests are on spaces, not on lines.
- Maybe it's just me but the way you've written the LH with the cross staffing and all that looks a bit...all over the place? I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say here but I'm sure there's a solution out there that's a bit easier to read. Now that I think about it, none of that cross staffing is necessary. Stick the whole counter melody in the middle staff. It only goes down 2 ledger lines in treble clef, and down 3 ledger lines for an F in one spot which is certainly not hard. When you've got cross staffing going down to the bass clef, but it's a ledger line or 2 above, it doesn't make sense.

Ballad of Gales - Olimar
-do i swipe left or right

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

The Deku Trombonist

Inside Forest Haven - Lkjhgfdsa_77:
It's got quite a few transcription errors in the marimba part, particularly in the harmonies, so go over those with a fine tooth comb. I can take a look sometime, but I don't have the time right now.

Brassman388

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 30, 2016, 07:51:34 PMI agree with where on the beat mlf had it before, but maybe I don't get this because I completely disagree:
How about a compromise?

[MUS]
The way Brassman organized the ostinato was worlds easier to read than the monotony that was there before, but I agree with mlf that it sounds more like down beats than constant syncopation.

Hmm, okay. I'm here to help somewhat, haha.

mikey

unmotivated

Brassman388

Yo.

I'm on break and FINALLY have time to work on stuff.

mastersuperfan

Farewell Hyrule King (same link)

Quote from: Sebastian on December 30, 2016, 07:45:46 PM- M. 1-16 (LH): The first notes of each of these seem to have more force than the others. Maybe you could accent them.

Done. Also accented some of the notes in Layer 1 since sometimes they're equally forceful.

Quote from: Sebastian on December 30, 2016, 07:45:46 PM- M. 17-21 (LH): You're missing the added octave. For example:

Must've missed them the first time through. Added. (With the exception of m18 because I still don't hear it there.)

Quote from: Sebastian on December 30, 2016, 07:45:46 PM- M. 22 (LH): There is an Eb in there you're missing.

It's still difficult for me to hear, but I think you're right. Added.

Quote from: Sebastian on December 30, 2016, 07:45:46 PM- M. 17-24 (LH): Same as M. 1-16. Seems like some of these notes are almost being pounded; that's how accented they are, especially the eighth notes on beat 4 of M. 23.

Instead of adding accents, I changed the mezzo forte to a forte in m19-20 since those two measures seem to be particularly strong. I think the crescendo is good enough for m21-23, but I did add accents on the two eighth notes in m23.

Quote from: Sebastian on December 30, 2016, 07:45:46 PMBut yeah. I love it! I am gonna add this song to my three-ring binder for sure. :P

Thanks! ^.^

(I also played around a bit more in the second half, changing the pedal markings in m27, m29, and m31, and changing the dynamics to be stronger.)
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Sebastian

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on December 30, 2016, 08:26:35 PMMenu Select - Sebastian:
- The pianist will use pedal how they feel like it, so do you really need to write 'pedal recommended'? It just sounds odd.
I was hoping to add some pedal marking in there. I thought this sounded decent. I can edit in a different one.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on December 30, 2016, 08:26:35 PMMenu Select - Sebastian:
- Any reason you put the bass note A up an octave halfway through bar 2?
That's the harp.

- You've already marked at the beginning that the bottom two staves are for the LH so why have the lines every bar or so? It's redundant.
Ok. Fixed.

- Make sure the 16th rests are on spaces, not on lines.
Ok. Fixed.

- Maybe it's just me but the way you've written the LH with the cross staffing and all that looks a bit...all over the place? I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say here but I'm sure there's a solution out there that's a bit easier to read. Now that I think about it, none of that cross staffing is necessary. Stick the whole counter melody in the middle staff. It only goes down 2 ledger lines in treble clef, and down 3 ledger lines for an F in one spot which is certainly not hard. When you've got cross staffing going down to the bass clef, but it's a ledger line or 2 above, it doesn't make sense.
I mean, personally, I don't find it hard to read, but that's just me. I don't know about anyone else. I could go ahead and edit it so that it's all on the middle staff. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on December 31, 2016, 11:25:49 AMDone. Also accented some of the notes in Layer 1 since sometimes they're equally forceful.
👍

Quote from: mastersuperfan on December 31, 2016, 11:25:49 AMFarewell Hyrule King (same link)
Must've missed them the first time through. Added. (With the exception of m18 because I still don't hear it there.)
It's still difficult for me to hear, but I think you're right. Added.
Awesome.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on December 31, 2016, 11:25:49 AMInstead of adding accents, I changed the mezzo forte to a forte in m19-20 since those two measures seem to be particularly strong. I think the crescendo is good enough for m21-23, but I did add accents on the two eighth notes in m23.
That works! Great work.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on December 31, 2016, 11:25:49 AM(I also played around a bit more in the second half, changing the pedal markings in m27, m29, and m31, and changing the dynamics to be stronger.)
Sweet. Looks great.

Quote from: Brassman388 on December 31, 2016, 09:28:33 AMI'm here to help somewhat, haha.
Awesome! It's great to have you back.