[DELETED] [NDS] Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - "Tough Guy Alert!" by maxmic480

Started by Zeta, January 14, 2017, 06:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Tough Guy Alert!
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: maxmic480

SlowPokemon

It may just be me, but I really wish you indicated the keys, even though they're constantly changing. Even if the fourth scale degree is going to be raised most of the times we hear it, and the seventh lowered, I still like it indicated by a key signature which key we're feeling.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

maxmic480

I changed the keys and added double bars so here is the result: Link

I'm not sure about it though. What about measures 17-24? Can that be considered D-major?
And do you want me to change to A-major at measure 49 for one measure and a half?

SlowPokemon

maxmic480

maxmic480

Also I just noticed that measures 45-49 are incorrect, I will update this later today.

Latios212

Oo nice sheet! Will take a closer look at the keys later.

A few other things:
- Keep in mind playability. Parallel thirds as 16th notes at this speed are just... not fun.
- Have you considered clef changes for m. 3 and m. 49? That's a lot of ledger lines under treble.
- The ties from 29-36 are a little odd. I get what you're trying to indicate and I agree with it, but some of the tie directions are strange. Play with a bit and see if you can clean it up a little bit.

Also do you have a reliable source for the title?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

maxmic480

I updated the pdf (Link) and the midi (Link) on my Drive.
I'm not finished with this score so I didn't convert the score into Finale format yet: the pdf and the midi are from MuseScore.

I corrected the clefs at m.3 and 49, and the parts at m.29-36 and m.45-49.

I didn't change the thirds for now since I like what they bring to the melody.
But I can't play the 16th notes on my piano and measure 49 is a real pain too so I will remove them on the next update.

My only source for the title is BrawlBRSTMs3... I searched an official album for the names but there isn't many results.
I found a Japanese site and when translated in Google Translate the song was "Beware of tough enemies" or something like that.

Static

It was Japan-only, but this may be helpful.
The translation is "The Tough Guys Require Attention?!" However, I've seen this track labeled as "Tough Guy Alert" and just plain "Boss Battle" as well.

"They're Pretty Tough, Should We be Careful!?" definitely seems to be the most often used title, though the most official one "The Tough Guys Require Attention?!" Either of those 2 would be what I'd use.

Also, about the key signatures... I would personally put m1-16 all in F major, m17-28 in G major, and the rest in A minor. The 4-measure key changes you put in the middle seem more like transitions from F to G, etc. and there's no key change I can tell happening at all at m45.

I'm not really an expert on key sigs in general, but I feel like that would be the best option here.

ThatHiddenCharacter

Also, I believe that in the RH chord on measure 36 the top note should be a C and not a D. I could be wrong, but I don't hear a D in the chord when listening to the song.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

SlowPokemon

While the Japanese name differs (it's the one you have now, as per the sound selection CD), this track (the original, not a remix) is in Smash Bros. Wii U and is labeled "Tough Guy Alert!" so that name is probably the one I would go with.

maxmic480

I updated the submission: I changed the 16ths and the triplets so that it should be playable at BPM = 184.

So how do I change the name of a submission? Should I remove this submission and make a new one?

Quote from: Static on January 19, 2017, 04:08:17 PMAlso, about the key signatures... I would personally put m1-16 all in F major, m17-28 in G major, and the rest in A minor. The 4-measure key changes you put in the middle seem more like transitions from F to G, etc. and there's no key change I can tell happening at all at m45.

I think you are right, the parts at m13-16, 25-28 and 45-48 are transitions. I realized that the A-major scale at m49 can't be in a F-major key... I changed the key signatures like you said. Thank you.

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on January 19, 2017, 04:44:11 PMAlso, I believe that in the RH chord on measure 36 the top note should be a C and not a D. I could be wrong, but I don't hear a D in the chord when listening to the song.

The top note (D) in the chord at m36 is from another instrument in the background that is heard only in m35-36.
I added it (along with the C at m35) because I think that it is important to the melody line.
The bottom note should indeed be a C from the original melody but I modified it to a A to avoid a 2nd (C+D).

The Deku Trombonist

When you go to edit the submission, just change what it says in the text box for the title and then save.