News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThatHiddenCharacter

I don't care that it's probably early, I'ma post my quiz now. I just have one thing to say: The grace notes on #6 don't play right, but I can't fix it. Good luck everyone! Oh yeah, PM or Skype me your answers. You have until Monday, I believe.

THC's Super Awesome Mega Quiz of Awesomeness: L-Type!
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

WaluigiTime64

#8 woah.

Also I'll be posting answers soon probably idk so just wait and see.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

WaluigiTime64

Alright to it's time to reveal scores once again. 9 people participated this round.
Also only one person directly stated that they knew the theme/gimmick thing for this round that was correct. For everyone else, it should be obvious in the answers.

#1 (Super Mario Bros.)
Cursed Kings - Super Mario Bros. 3:

Also accepted answers:
 - "Rescued King"
 - "King's Room"
 - "Kang's Room"
 - "??? It's from SMB3, and it plays when you go into the place thing and the toad says "HEY IT'S TERRIBLE THE KING HAS BEEN TRANSFORMED INTO A FUCKING LIZARD" or when you defeat the koopaling and fall down and then the"
 - "when you talk to the king dude guy"

Tried to pick an well-known but still somewhat tricky early Mario piece for the first one. Cool thing 7 people got it.
[close]

#2 (Touhou Project)
Love-Coloured Master Spark - Touhou 8: Imperishable Night:

Also accepted answers:
 - "Love-colored Master Super Fan Spark"
 - "that's the music that plays during marisa's fight in TH8, i prefer fighting reimu though her spell cars are more interesting"

A popular Touhou song. Picked this because we're honestly running out. Good thing 4 people got this, while that's still possible.
[close]

#3 (Mega Man)
Snake Man Stage - Mega Man 3:

Also accepted answers:
 - "extrem sneks"
 - "sounds like something dudeman would know. no step on snek"

Popular Mega Man piece. Also I got a sheet of it on-site not too long ago lol. Best part is that I robbed it from MSF after he robbed me. Anyway, 5 people got it.
[close]

#4 (DuckTales)
The Amazon - DuckTales:

Also accepted answers:
 - ""The eBay" - DankTales"

Yet another popular song. I realised no one had put this one in a quiz yet and I found that weird. Sadly only 1 person got it anyway so whatever lol.
[close]

#5 (Mario Kart)
Waluigi Pinball/Wario Stadium - Mario Kart DS:

Also accepted answers:
 - "WAAAAAAH"
 - "WAHluigi Pinball"

Wah. 7 people got this.
[close]

#6: (Kirby)
Peanut Plain - Kirby Super Star:

Also accepted answers:
 - "Peanut Butter"

The first section of this song is super popular and would've been way too easy, so I picked the other bit. Worked on most people except 3.
[close]

#7: (Yoshi)
Story Music Box - Yoshi's Island:

Also accepted answers:
 - "that's the story music box thing from yoshi's island. also known as Госуда́рственный гимн Росси́йской Федера́ции"

A really easy one. Just wanted to pick an easy Yoshi song lol. Unsurprisingly 7 people got it.
[close]

#8: (Pikmin)
Forest of Hope - Pikmin:

Also accepted answers:
 - "The Forest of Despair"

Tried for an easy Pikmin one. Worked for the most part, if 5 people have anything to say for it. Also yes, I did use a part between two phrases because I do what I want.
[close]

#9 (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Marble Zone - Sonic the Hedgehog:

I was going to use this in another quiz but I replaced it with Starlight Zone, because it was slightly more popular. Clearly so, as only 2 people got this one.
[close]

#10: (Super Smash Bros.)
Final Destination - Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

Also accepted answers:
 - "AHHH PLEASE MAMAAAAAAAAA GIMME THE BOOOOOOOOOZE SO WHAT'S IT 'SPOSED TO MEEEAAAAAN IF I PEE A TSUNAMIIIIIIII"

It worked. I picked the first bit that people would find difficult to notice and I managed to trick everyone. Except 2 people apparently.
[close]

#11: (Pokemon)
Heavy Rainfall - Pokemon Sapphire Version:

Also accepted answers:
 - "Heavy Rain"
 - "7.8 out of 10 too much water"

Here's for the Pokemon nerds. Except it isn't hard at all. 4 people got this one.
[close]

#12: (Donkey Kong Country)
Theme - Donkey Kong Country:

Also accepted answers:
 - "Title Theme"
 - "Theme (of)"

I picked any other part of the song there likely would've been a drastic change in the amount of correct guesses. At least 3 people got it.
[close]

#13: (Super Mario Bros.) (FLIP)
Rightside Down Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy 2:

Also accepted answers:
 - "Upside Dizzy Galaxy"

This was a tough choice. I was actually considering Flipside from Super Paper Mario but I decided on something I figured was trickier. Didn't stop 3 people.
[close]

#14: (Donkey Kong Country)
K. Rool Returns - Donkey Kong Country 2:

This is where things start to get tricky (sort of maybe idk). I mean, only 1 person got this, so that should say something.
[close]

#15: (Pokemon)
Drought - Pokemon Ruby Version:

Also accepted answers:
 - "7.8 out of 10 not enough water"

This is where the theme/gimmick should've been noticeable if you could get them. You could also shrug it off as me being weird lol. 5 people got this one.
[close]

#16 (Super Smash Bros.)
Ending ~ Staff Roll - Super Smash Bros.:

Also accepted answers:
 - "Credits"

Reluctantly accepted answers:
 - "Final Destination (Melee)"
 - "No Items, Fox Only"

Welp. I go for one song and hope that people don't pick the other one but half of them go with the other thing anyway. Not that this was hard though. 6 people got this.
[close]

#17 (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Tropical Resort - Act 1 - Sonic Colours:

I dunno. I just like this song lol. I figured it would be somewhat-known, but only 1 person knew.
[close]

#18: (Pikmin)
Valley of Repose - Pikmin 2:

A nice song. Sadly only 1 person got it.
[close]

#19 (Yoshi)
Hotfoot Hurdle - Yoshi's New Island:

Was hoping someone else knew this wonderful song. Shame. Please listen to it. It sounds like Spongebob music and I think that's great.
[close]

#20 (Kirby)
Title Screen - Kirby's Adventure:

Also accepted answers:
 - "Title"

It sounds like Kirby but it's a song that often gets looked over. 1 person remembered straight away, 1 person remembered later, and 1 person went through most of the soundtrack looking for it.
[close]

#21 (Mario Kart)

MSF got this and lol'd. It's an in-joke mostly, but I also wanted a difficult Mario Kart one.
[close]

#22 (DuckTales)
Money Bin - DuckTales: Remastered:

;_;
[close]

#23 (Mega Man)
We're the Robots (Dr. Wily Stage 2) - Mega Man 9:

A reasonably popular song actually, at least within the fandom. It's obvious which 1 person got this.
[close]

#24 (Touhou Project)
Love-Coloured Magic - Touhou 2: Story of Eastern Wonderland:

Also accepted answers:
 - "Love-Colored Music"
 - "now whoa there sonny i prefer touhou music from REAL touhou games unlike that PC-98 trash. to all those mima fanboys out there COME AT ME BRO fuck you now which game is this from again? i'm guessing TH2"

Honestly I was expecting this to be the easy one from the flipped end, especially considering it sounds the same as #2, just to confuse people who didn't know, as well as give away the theme/gimmick. Sadly there was no one to point and laugh at for only getting #2. 4 people got this.
[close]

#25 (Super Mario Bros.)
Wooded Kingdom - Super Mario Odyssey:

Yep. This is the hard Mario melody. I just really like this song lol.
[close]

With that done, here are the players' scores:

The Winner is...
MASTERSUPERFAN!
With a good score of 15/25. Nice work.
[close]

Everyone's Scores:
mastersuperfan: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 15, 16, 20, 21, 24 [T=15]
Dudeman: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 20, 23 [T=13]
Static: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 13, 16, 18, 19, 24 [T=11]
Yug_Guy: 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17 [T=11]
ThatHiddenCharacter: 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 16 [T=7]
InsigTurtle: 1, 2, 3, 7, 11, 15, 24 [T=7]
Latios212: 1, 5, 7, 11, 13, 15, 20 [T=7]
Dekkadeci: 2, 5, 10, 16, 24 [T=5]
NocturneOfShadow: 1 [T=1]
[close]

Funny Extras:
Quote from: mastersuperfanOH SCREW YOU
YOU STOLE #4 FROM ME TOO
Quote from: mastersuperfan20) "Title Screen" - Kirby's Adventure (goddammit man I checked all the stage and level themes before this)
Quote from: mastersuperfan#21
DID YOU JUST
DID YOU JUST
YOU MOTHERFU--
I'm actually laughing so hard rn lmao
Quote from: mastersuperfan21) o h b o y two-measure excerpt of W A R I O ' S G A L L E O N
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter8 Forest of Hope Pikmin (Inb4 Olimar skips this round and gets disappointed.)
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter14 Ah... the first I recognize, but don't remember.
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter15 Ah... the second I recognize, but don't remember.
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter24 Ah... the third I recognize, but don't remember.
Quote from: InsigTurtle11 - heavy rain pokemon rse
15 - drought pokemon rse what you doing boy i see but hwy
Quote from: NocturneOfShadowyou play weird games
I regret doing this
[close]
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on July 29, 2017, 03:35:32 PM
#9 (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Marble Zone - Sonic the Hedgehog:

I was going to use this in another quiz but I replaced it with Starlight Zone, because it was slightly more popular. Clearly so, as only 2 people got this one.
[close]

#13: (Super Mario Bros.) (FLIP)
Rightside Down Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy 2:

Also accepted answers:
 - "Upside Dizzy Galaxy"

This was a tough choice. I was actually considering Flipside from Super Paper Mario but I decided on something I figured was trickier. Didn't stop 3 people.
[close]

#22 (DuckTales)
Money Bin - DuckTales: Remastered:

;_;
[close]

Ahhh dammit I knew these

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on July 29, 2017, 03:35:32 PM
#21 (Mario Kart)

MSF got this and lol'd. It's an in-joke mostly, but I also wanted a difficult Mario Kart one.
[close]

And I thought Riverside Park was bad enough, you goddamn lunatic

Unfortunately, we're still waiting on Levi for my quiz. As I mentioned earlier, feel free to contact me early if you want to know the answers ahead of time. If he doesn't show up by tomorrow night I'm probably just going to post the answers.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mastersuperfan

Never mind. Answers now.

Answers and Results!

The results of this quiz were certainly... interesting, to say the least. It seems that this quiz ended up being a lot harder than I intended. Four people got a higher score than last time, five people got a lower score than last time, and one person got the same score. However, the average score ended up being about a solid point below last round's score.

Regardless, the quiz could've turned out worse, at least. Of the 25 melodies, 21 of them got guessed, which is a pretty solid improvement over last time. And without further ado... the answers and results!

MSF ROUND B

Scoreboard (Final)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25
[close]

Requested Hints (4)
  • #3: From one of the four main series. DS game.
  • #6: From one of the four main series. Plays in one of the first few levels/areas in the game. The melody I transcribed comes right after the super famous part.
  • #9: From one of the four main series. Plays during the final boss battle. (Apparently not nearly as recognizable as I thought.)
  • #24: Not from one of the four main series. Not playable on a Nintendo system, either. Battle theme. Played by a violin section.
[close]

EASY

Easy section. Easy melodies (relatively speaking, at least). Not much to say here, though it seems like this section was a tad harder than last time's.

#1 (8/10)
"Opening Theme" / "Title Screen" - [Wii] Wii Sports (Miscellaneous #1)

Timestamp: 0:05 - 0:13

Also in: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Good to see so many people get this one. It was nice knowing there was at least one melody in here that plenty of people could get. (Mael, you forgot to pick up your free point. Again.)

By the way, when I was listening to this on YouTube, I looked in the sidebar and found... something interesting.

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on July 25, 2017, 11:58:42 AM(I went to Wii Sports, realized it was Wii Fit, then realized it was Wii Sports.)

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • InsigTurtle
  • Latios212
  • LeviR.star
  • Static
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#2 (5/10)
"Dr. Wily Stage 1" - [NES] Mega Man 2 (Miscellaneous #2)

Timestamp: 0:32 - 0:40

Also in: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Well, that was a... startlingly low number of people who recognized this one. Isn't this really iconic? The most well-known Mega Man track ever? The one that even those who haven't played Mega Man have heard countless times? The one so obvious that Dudeman even complained about it being too easy?

No?

Levi aside, since he wasn't here for Wah's round, more people got Snek Man than this. That's kind of sad.

Quote from: WaluigiTime64Nice using the 6 bar phrase though.
That's exactly what I did too.
Now I have to change it like dang it why.

Quote from: Dudeman on July 24, 2017, 10:09:29 PM(come on, man, if you're gonna use Mega Man don't pick the most famous one of all time)

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on July 25, 2017, 11:58:42 AM(Yay for world renowned Megaman themes that even people who have never heard of the series know!)

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • LeviR.star
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#3 (6/10)
"Battle! (Team Galactic)" - [NDS] Pokémon Diamond & Pearl Versions (Pokémon #1)

Timestamp: 0:13 - 0:23

Also in: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Hint: From one of the four main series. DS game. (requested by ThatHiddenCharacter)

These guys are idiots. And they have some really stupid-looking haircuts. But at least they have a cool battle theme.

Naturally, I put this one near the front since it has a remix in Brawl that plays during the Subspace Emissary. It seems that most people weren't even aware of that, though...

Quote from: Dudeman on July 24, 2017, 10:09:29 PM(Thanks, Brawl!)

Quote from: WaluigiTime64I only knew this one because I happened to stumble across it looking for another Pokemon melody on another quiz.

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacterLuckily, Diamond (and Platinum) is one of the few Pokémon games I own.

Guessed by:
  • Dekkadeci
  • Dudeman
  • Latios212
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#4 (4/10)
"The Great Sea" - [GCN] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Zelda #1)

Timestamp: 0:27 - 0:41

Also in: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

The theme you hear for hours and hours and hours on end while playing Wind Waker. Unless you own Wind Waker HD like I do in, which case you only hear it for hours on end.

But with such a great track as this, who can complain?

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • Latios212
  • Static
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#5 (5/10)
"Serenade of Water" - [N64] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Zelda #2)

Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:17

Also in: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros. Brawl

For some strange reason this is one of the only warp songs, as well as Bolero of Fire, that I still remember off the top of my head after not having touched Ocarina of Time for years. But I sure as hell didn't like the Water Temple itself as much...

There was actually a surprisingly big discrepancy between the competitors who recognized The Great Sea and those who recognized this one. To my surprise, only Dudeman and Yug_Guy got them both. I think there were a couple people who should've known #4 that missed it...

Quote from: Dudeman on July 24, 2017, 10:09:29 PM(Two water-based Zelda tunes back-to-back? All right, whatever floats your boat.)
Quote from: Dudeman on July 24, 2017, 10:09:29 PMfloats your boat

Did you just

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • InsigTurtle
  • Maelstrom
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#6 (6/10)
"Venturing into the Mechanised World" / "Patched Pathway" - [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot (Kirby #1)

Timestamp: 0:28 - 0:40

Hint: From one of the four main series. Plays in one of the first few levels/areas in the game. The melody I transcribed comes right after the super famous part. (requested by WaluigiTime64)

NOBLE HALTMANN, WE ADORE HIM. NOBLE HALTMANN, WE ADORE HI--

Wait, wrong part. Oops.

Quote from: Dekkadeci on July 24, 2017, 09:51:34 PMKey-wise, this section goes nuts.

Quote from: Yug_GuyGod, why does #6 sound so familiar?
Even with the hint I'm still trying to place it
I'm just trying to use process of elimination here
I already have 3/4 Pokémon songs, and it doesn't really sound like it's from Pokemon
so it can't be that
Doesn't sound like it's from Zelda
And why would you put 3 Zelda songs in the easy section?
And it doesn't really sound like it's from Mario
Unless there's something from Sunshine/Galaxy that I don't know
So I think it's from Kirby?
But then where is it from?
And how the hell do I recognize it?

Quote from: WaluigiTime64Hint helped a lot, thanks.
I should've gotten this one for the same reason as #17 too frick.
#6: Patched Pathway (Plains Area 1) - Kirby: Planet Robobot
No wonder I knew it.
Also my suspicions that it was a Kirby song were right.

Guessed by:
  • Dekkadeci
  • Dudeman
  • Latios212
  • LeviR.star
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
  • WaluigiTime64
[close]

#7 (3/10)
"Dire, Dire Docks" - [N64] Super Mario 64 (Mario #1)

Timestamp: 1:17 - 1:27

It's a bit more difficult to recognize when I take out the bottom note of the dyads, isn't it?

Still, color me surprised that only a few people got it. Dudeman, Static, and Wah are the true Mario music masters here, everyone.

(It's kind of sad that I have to say that regarding the easiest Mario melody in this quiz. While the trickiness was intentional to balance out the easiness of the Mario melodies in the last quiz, perhaps this one was a tad too difficult...)

Quote from: WaluigiTime64Also #7's rhythms throw me off so much.
WAIT
WAIT IS #7
Dire Dire Docks - Super Mario 64
I ALMOST FAILED THAT
I CAN'T BELIEVE MYSELF
I LOVE PLAYING THAT ON THE PIANO TOO FRICK
HOW DID I ALMOST MISS THAT

QuoteYug Guy: Am I supposed to glean anything meaningful from those notes at all?
mastersuperfan: in #7?
Yug Guy: yee
mastersuperfan: #7 is... kind of troll
Yug Guy: You don't say

Quotemastersuperfan: all right... #7
mastersuperfan: it is the Mario one
mastersuperfan: should I just tell you straight up?
ThatHiddenCharacter: Yes.
mastersuperfan: Dire, Dire Docks
ThatHiddenCharacter: .
ThatHiddenCharacter: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
ThatHiddenCharacter: THE ONE PART I ALMOST NEVER LISTEN TO!!!!
mastersuperfan: and the one part which, for that reason, I of course just had to include

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • Static
  • WaluigiTime64
[close]

#8 (4/10)
"Abandoned Ship" - [GBA] Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire Versions (Pokémon #2)

Timestamp: 0:29 - 0:39

Also in: Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

For some reason this was one of the themes I listened to the most when I was a kid. I think I got the impression that this theme was somehow super famous, but looking back I don't really think that's the case. Either way, it appears that it's still quite recognizable to any good Pokémon fan.

Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 24, 2017, 08:54:08 PM8 is a pokemon thing i think i just did some searching and it's the abandoned shit from R/S/E
Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 24, 2017, 08:54:08 PMabandoned shit

Quote from: Yug_GuyOkay, you put Abandoned Ship in this quiz, which immediately makes me happy
That was like my favorite part from R/S/E

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • InsigTurtle
  • Latios212
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

Easy Section (8): Scores
Dudeman {8} - PERFECT!
Yug_Guy (6)
Latios212, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64 (5)
InsigTurtle, LeviR.star, Static (3)
Dekkadeci (2)
Maelstrom (1)

Average Score: 4.1 (51.25%)
[close]

MEDIUM

I tried to make this section easier after the last quiz, but I think it ended up much harder instead. Oops. Hopefully it'll be more accessible next time...

#9 (1/10)
"Adventure's End" - [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (Mario #2)

Timestamp: 1:14 - 1:35

Hint: From one of the four main series. Plays during the final boss battle. (Apparently not nearly as recognizable as I thought.) (requested by InsigTurtle)

Turns out that In the Final from Inside Story is so hugely famous that it completely overshadows any fame that this theme might have gotten. Which is really a shame, because I like this one a lot more.

But seriously, how did In the Final get seven correct guesses while this one didn't even get a single one until the hint?

Quotemastersuperfan: still want the hint for #9?
InsigTurtle: yeah
mastersuperfan: aight
mastersuperfan: post will be made shortly
InsigTurtle: but anything i say here may be quoted right?
InsigTurtle: in that case
InsigTurtle: please donate to poor insig!
mastersuperfan: lmao
mastersuperfan: I'm going to quote that
mastersuperfan: ...including the "anything i say here may be quoted" part
InsigTurtle: uh oh

Guessed by: ThatHiddenCharacter
[close]

#10 (1/10)
"Revali's Theme" - [SW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Zelda #3)

Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:17

C'mon, Latios, really? You can get this but you can't get Corneria?

Wait. Waaaait a moment. That's not Falco... Thiiiis isn't Star Fox...

QuoteLatios212: are there any that only I got
mastersuperfan: Revali's Theme
Latios212: o-o

Guessed by: Latios212
[close]

#11 (2/10)
"Future City" - [Wii] Kirby's Epic Yarn (Kirby #2)

Timestamp: 0:57 - 1:10

THE FUTURE IS NOW, THANKS TO FUTURE CITY!

Only Dudeman and Levi live in in the future. Everyone else was left behind in the past. I thought Wah lived there too, but he didn't get it.

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • LeviR.star
[close]

#12 (4/10)
"Boss Fight 1" - [3DS] Kid Icarus: Uprising (Miscellaneous #3)

Timestamp: 0:51 - 1:02

Also in: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

The most badass generic boss theme in existence. NO, SERIOUSLY. IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD THIS ONE, GO LISTEN TO IT. RIGHT NOW. IN ITS ENTIRETY.

I can't believe this is the only Medium melody to get more than two guesses. It is awesome, though.

Guessed by:
  • Dekkadeci
  • Dudeman
  • Maelstrom
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#13 (1/10)
"Cheep Cheep Lagoon" / "Cheep Cheep Cape " - [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Mario #3)

Timestamp: 0:44 - 0:51

Plenty of people got Piranha Plant Slide, one of the better known themes in the game, during my second quiz. So how many people would get a slightly lesser known track from this game?

...The answer is only one, my friends. There are no surprises as to who it is.

(Wah, at least I picked a song from MK7 that I can actually stand to listen to. I still can't believe you used that monstrosity.)

Guessed by: WaluigiTime64
[close]

#14 (1/10)
"Rainy Area" - [Wii] Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Kirby #3)

Timestamp: 0:27 - 0:40

HOW DO SO MANY OF YOU NOT REMEMBER THIS ONE THIS THEME IS SO HAPPY

I thought it'd give off a huge Kirby vibe, at the very least, especially considering that it sounds rather similar to Floral Fields (also referred to as Fine Field) from Triple Deluxe. If you go look at the comments section, that's literally what half the comments are saying.

QuoteLeviR.star: 14. [3DS] Kirby: Triple Deluxe "Fine Field?"
mastersuperfan: nope
LeviR.star: it sounds a little too... swingy to be that
Quote from: LeviR.star14 is NOT Kirby...
but I swear I've heard it before
Quote from: LeviR.starAHA
I FOUND IT
14. [Wii] Kirby's Return to Dreamland - "Rainy Area"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guessed by: LeviR.star
[close]

#15 (0/10)
"Humilau City" - [NDS] Pokémon Black & White Versions 2 (Pokémon #3)

Timestamp: 0:50 - 1:06

I didn't find this song particularly great when I first heard it, but it's definitely grown on me, I must say. I intentionally picked this one because I thought it gave off a huge Pokémon vibe, especially in that last measure, but it doesn't look like it helped anyone.

B2W2 is really just so unpopular, it seems. I swear I could use the goddamn Champion battle theme and nobody would get it. I'll admit I probably shouldn't have expected this one to get guessed...

Quote from: MaelstromI swear #15 is mother 3

Guessed by: ---
[close]

#16 (2/10)
"Blue Birds" - [NDS] Rhythm Heaven (Miscellaneous #4)

Timestamp: 0:07 - 0:21

Also in: Rhythm Heaven Fever, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

PECK YOUR BEAK! WAH WAH WAH

Rhythm Heaven melodies would typically go into the Hard section, I imagine, but this one got shifted to the Medium section due to its appearance in Smash 4. Which didn't actually help anyone get it.

QuoteYug Guy: Y'know, the 3rd measure of #16 onwards kinda sounds like the Brady Bunch theme
mastersuperfan: I have no idea what that is
Yug Guy: ...
Yug Guy: ...you've never heard of the Brady Bunch?
mastersuperfan: ...I have not
Yug Guy: ...the cheesy sitcom from the 70's that everyone remembers?
mastersuperfan: bro I live in the 21st century
mastersuperfan: you live in the 21st century
mastersuperfan: do you think I was alive during the 70's?
Yug Guy: That's irrelevant
QuoteYug Guy: Also Dudeman says he's heard of the Brady Bunch
Yug Guy: Just sayin'
mastersuperfan: well yeah I figured as much, he's Dudeman
mastersuperfan: he's also old
Yug Guy: And?
Yug Guy: I bet I'm not much older than you are
mastersuperfan: he was probably around in the 70's or something
Yug Guy: Yeah, suuuuuure
mastersuperfan: don't you know, Grand Dad Dood Man is omnipresent
Yug Guy: He only does high-quality surveillance

Guessed by:
  • Latios212
  • WaluigiTime64
[close]

Medium Section (8): Scores
Dudeman, Latios212, LeviR.star, WaluigiTime64 (2)
Dekkadeci, Maelstrom, ThatHiddenCharacter, Yug_Guy (1)
InsigTurtle, Static (0)

Average Score: 1.2 (15%)
[close]

HARD

After most of these were left unguessed last time, I tried to make it a little easier this time. Overall, it seems to have worked. (Surprisingly, because not much else in this quiz seemed to work as I intended...)

#17 (2/10)
"Snow Halation" - [iOS] Love Live! School idol Festival (Miscellaneous #5)

Timestamp: 2:48 - 2:58

A N I M E   W A S   N O T   A   M I S T A K E

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 03, 2017, 08:20:33 PM...You know what would be really funny?

If I put T O D O K E T E into my melody quiz a second time.

Just a passing thought. Think nothing of it.

Quote from: InsigTurtle on June 07, 2017, 11:04:41 PMAs you can tell, the "Hard" refers to more than one thing.

AND FOR THE FIFTH ANNUAL NSM SUPERLATIVES, THE TWO WINNERS OF THE AWARD FOR "MOST LIKELY TO BE A CLOSET ANIME FAN" AAAAARE...!

Quote from: Dudeman on July 24, 2017, 10:09:29 PMyou absolute goddamn madman why do i even freaking bother with these quizzes
Quotemastersuperfan: actually only you and one other person have it
mastersuperfan: and it took the other person over a day to figure it out
Dudeman: wooowwwww
mastersuperfan: I'll admit I'm surprised as well
mastersuperfan: not everyone's as much of an anime fan as you are Dudeman
Dudeman: SH-SHUT UP
Dudeman: THAT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS
Dudeman: B-B-BAKA

Quote from: WaluigiTime64Oh boy #17 is familiar.
#17 is really familiar but I can't get it right now.
Quote from: WaluigiTime64it's killing me
it's legit tearing into me
agh
Quote from: WaluigiTime64It's going to be something I won't expect I swear.
Quote from: WaluigiTime64#17.
You suck.
No wonder Dudeman got it so easily.
#17: Snow Halation - Love Live: School Idol Festival
I'm legit more mad about this than Dire Dire Docks.
You suck.
I'll be honest I've just been laughing this whole time lol.

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • WaluigiTime64
[close]

#18 (1/10)
"Cyan's Theme" - [SNES] Final Fantasy VI (Miscellaneous #6)

Timestamp: 0:40 - 1:05

T H O U

This theme is cool and this guy is honorable and badass. The only problem is that he's totally useless in battle, but... it's only a minor setback, you know?

Guessed by: Static
[close]

#19 (1/10)
"Secret Maze On The Sea Of No Return" - [GBC] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Zelda #4)

Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:10

Also in: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

Can't go wrong with a nice and simple 5/4 track. Here, Dudeman. Have a free point. Because you totally needed it.

Upon receiving Dudeman's submission I discovered that this track also plays in Oracle of Seasons. Strangely, though, there are almost no videos of it under the Seasons name; the one I just tacked on in the link above was the only one I could even find...

Guessed by: Dudeman
[close]

#20 (0/10)
"Secret Path" - [3DS] Kirby's Blowout Blast (Kirby #4)

Timestamp: 0:28 - 0:39

The Blowout Blast soundtrack mostly consists of remixes from Kirby's Dream Land tunes. In fact, this one's no exception; it's actually a remix of the KDL Ending theme. It's pretty hard to figure that out with only the part I transcribed, though.

I expected two people to recognize this one, actually. In the end, nobody got it. Looks like this path is just too much of a seekrit.

Quote from: Dekkadeci on July 01, 2017, 11:30:15 AMKirby's Blowout Blast is getting released on July 4, 2017 in Japan and July 6, 2017 elsewhere! Time to raid the plot and music then...

You didn't raid it quite enough, I see...

QuoteLeviR.star: why don't you ever pick anything from the spinoffs?
mastersuperfan: why do you say that I didn't?

[close]

#21 (1/10)
"Blue Bird Lamentation" - [3DS] Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Miscellaneous #7)

Timestamp: 0:53 - 1:12

Also in: Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma

i still cri evr tim ;-;

Here, Mael. Have your free point. Because you actually need it. Quite badly, I might add.

To the rest of you: play this series.

Quote from: Dudeman on July 24, 2017, 10:09:29 PMI really, really feel like I should know this one.

Guessed by: Maelstrom
[close]

#22 (2/10)
"PR Video Studio" - [3DS] Pokémon X & Y (Pokémon #4)

Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:08

Shoutout to the Eeveelution 3DS Home Menu theme!

I totally forgot this place existed, actually. I never went here.

...How does this get two guesses while Humilau City gets none?

Quote from: Yug_GuyI heard it and just went,
"This is definitely from Pokémon"
From there it was just a matter of figuring out which game it was from
and then looking up its OST

Guessed by:
  • Latios212
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#23 (2/10)
"Galaxy Arena" / "Galaxy Colosseum" / "Boss" - [Wii] Mario Kart Wii (Mario #4)

Timestamp: 0:06 - 0:18

This is a really weird-sounding track to be in a Mario Kart game.

But hey, I like it!

Quote from: WaluigiTime64#23: Galaxy Arena  - Mario Kart Wii
Nice try.
It was going to happen eventually.

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • WaluigiTime64
[close]

#24 (0/10)
"Leap the Precipice" - [XBOX360] Eternal Sonata (Miscellaneous #8)

Timestamp: 1:33 - 1:45

Hint: Not from one of the four main series. Not playable on a Nintendo system, either. Battle theme. Played by a violin section. (requested by Dekkadeci)

Shoutout to Mario Kart YouTuber TWD98 for using this awesome track in his videos!

Has anyone else heard of this game? I doubt it. Buuuut I was hoping one person might get it...

Quote from: Dekkadeci on June 17, 2017, 01:52:14 PMBelieve it or not, this is composed by Motoi Sakuraba. Y'know, Motoi Sakuraba, progressive rock composer, composer of the Dark Souls and Golden Sun soundtracks, arranger of that heavy metal version of "Gourmet Race" in Super Smash Bros. Brawl? That Motoi Sakuraba.

Yeah, you know? That Motoi Sakuraba.

Quote from: Dekkadeci on July 25, 2017, 02:04:28 PMYeah, #24 just isn't coming to me for some reason, even after listening to some GaMetal (I first suspected it to share a piece with a GaMetal remix).

I keep hearing #24 in B flat minor in something like an electric guitar for some reason...

[close]

#25 (0/10)
"Beyond the Blue" - [3DS] Azure Striker Gunvolt (Miscellaneous #9)

Timestamp: 0:11 - 0:28

> Anime is
   Real

HA HA HA!!! I KNEW IT!!! GIGANTIC SWORDS!!! MAGICAL PRINCESSES! HERE I COME!!!

...Wait a moment. If nobody knows it exists, is it still real?

Guessed by: Undyne
[close]

Hard Section (9): Scores
Dudeman (3)
WaluigiTime64 (2)
Latios212, Maelstrom, Static, Yug_Guy (1)
Dekkadeci, InsigTurtle, LeviR.star, ThatHiddenCharacter (0)

Average Score: 0.9 (10%)
[close]

SCORES BY SERIES:

Mario (4)
WaluigiTime64 (3)
Dudeman (2)
Static, ThatHiddenCharacter (1)
Dekkadeci, InsigTurtle, Latios212, LeviR.star, Maelstrom, Yug_Guy (0)

Average Score: 0.7 (17.5%)

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on July 25, 2017, 11:58:42 AMHow did I not recognize any Mario ones?! YOU BETTER NOT HAVE JAM PACKED THIS WITH MARIO PARTY OR SO HELP ME!!!

He did get #9 after the hint, though.

Quote from: LeviR.stardang, I missed all of the Mario ones?
[close]

Kirby (4)
LeviR.star (3)
Dudeman (2)
Dekkadeci, Latios212, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64 (1)
InsigTurtle, Maelstrom, Static, Yug_Guy (0)

Average Score: 0.9 (22.5%)

QuoteLeviR.star: alright, I give up
LeviR.star: you can post the answers now
LeviR.star: the one I'm missing is probably from mass attack or rainbow curse...
mastersuperfan: it is from neither
LeviR.star: dang
QuoteLeviR.star: probably dream course
mastersuperfan: nope
mastersuperfan: you'll see
[close]

Pokémon (4)
Latios212, Yug_Guy (3)
Dudeman (2)
Dekkadeci, InsigTurtle, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64 (1)
Maelstrom, Static (0)

Average Score: 1.2 (30%)

QuoteLatios212: I'm missing a Pokémon one right
mastersuperfan: yeah
Latios212: graah

Still sorry for using B2W2 again not really
[close]

Zelda (4)
Dudeman (3)
Latios212, Yug_Guy (2)
InsigTurtle, Maelstrom, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter (1)
Dekkadeci, WaluigiTime64 (0)

Average Score: 1.1 (27.5%)
[close]

Miscellaneous (9)
Dudeman, WaluigiTime64 (4)
Yug_Guy (3)
Latios212, LeviR.star, Maelstrom, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter (2)
Dekkadeci, InsigTurtle (1)

Average Score: 2.3 (25.56%)
[close]

OVERALL SCORES AND STATISTICS

AND THE WINNER IS...
DUDEMAN!   (WHAT A SHOCKER!)

With a magnificent score of 13/25!

NOBLE DUDEMAN, WE ADORE HIM. NOBLE DUDEMAN, WE ADORE HIM.

And congratulations to our runner-up, WaluigiTime64 (again), with a score of 9/25 (again)!

"I strive for second place and I will fight for the position."
[close]

Score List
1st: Dudeman (13)
2nd: WaluigiTime64 (9)
3rd: Latios212, Yug_Guy {8}
5th: ThatHiddenCharacter (6)
6th: LeviR.star (5)
7th: Static (4)
8th: Dekkadeci, InsigTurtle, Maelstrom (3)

Average Score: 6.2 (24.8%)

Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 24, 2017, 08:54:08 PMtime to try my best, as always!
Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 24, 2017, 08:54:08 PMHAHAHAHA i did even worse this time!

Quotemastersuperfan: by the way, this quiz turned out harder than I expected
mastersuperfan: so if you think you have a low score don't worry, so does everyone else
mastersuperfan: except for... you know who
LeviR.star: don't speak the dark lord's name!
mastersuperfan: GRAND DAD
LeviR.star:

[close]

Melodies per Participant
Dekkadeci (3): 3, 6, 12
Dudeman (13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 17, 19, 23
InsigTurtle (3): 1, 5, 8
Latios212 {8}: 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 16, 22
LeviR.star (5): 1, 2, 6, 11, 14
Maelstrom (3): 5, 12, 22
Static (4): 1, 4, 7, 18
ThatHiddenCharacter (6): 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 9
WaluigiTime64 (9): 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 13, 16, 17, 23
Yug_Guy {8}: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 12, 22
[close]

Participants per Melody
#1: Dudeman, InsigTurtle, Latios212, LeviR.star, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy {8}
#2: Dudeman, LeviR.star, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (5)
#3: Dekkadeci, Dudeman, Latios212, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (6)
#4: Dudeman, Latios212, Static, Yug_Guy (4)
#5: Dudeman, InsigTurtle, Maelstrom, ThatHiddenCharacter, Yug_Guy (5)
#6: Dekkadeci, Dudeman, Latios212, LeviR.star, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64 (6)
#7: Dudeman, Static, WaluigiTime64 (3)
#8: Dudeman, InsigTurtle, Latios212, Yug_Guy (4)
#9: ThatHiddenCharacter (1)
#10: Latios212 (1)
#11: Dudeman, LeviR.star (2)
#12: Dekkadeci, Dudeman, Maelstrom, Yug_Guy (4)
#13: WaluigiTime64 (1)
#14: LeviR.star (1)
#15: (0)
#16: Latios212, WaluigiTime64 (2)
#17: Dudeman, WauigiTime64 (2)
#18: Static (1)
#19: Dudeman (1)
#20: (0)
#21: Maelstrom (1)
#22: Latios212, Yug_Guy (2)
#23: Dudeman, WaluigiTime64 (2)
#24: (0)
#25: Undyne (0)
[close]

List of Scoreboards

Scoreboard (Update #1) - InsigTurtle, Latios212, Dekkadeci, Dudeman, WaluigiTime64 (5)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25
[close]

Scoreboard (Update #2) - ThatHiddenCharacter, Static (7)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

[close]

Scoreboard (Update #3) - Yug_Guy, Maelstrom (9)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

[close]

Scoreboard (Final) - LeviR.star (10)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

[close]
[close]

Hints Remaining
Dekkadeci: 1
Dudeman: 3
InsigTurtle: 2
Latios212: 3
LeviR.star: 2
Maelstrom: 3
Static: 3
ThatHiddenCharacter: 1
WaluigiTime64: 2
Yug_Guy: 3
[close]

Cumulative Scores (Rounds A and B) (50)
1st: Dudeman (24)
2nd: WaluigiTime64 (18)
3rd: Latios212, Yug_Guy (15)
5th: LeviR.star, Static (12)
7th: ThatHiddenCharacter (11)
8th: Dekkadeci (10)
9th: InsigTurtle (9)
10th: Maelstrom {8}
[close]

SCORE SPREADSHEET (click the Round B tab)

Maelstrom

In my defence, 60 hour work weeks are draining af

Dekkadeci

Dagnabbit, no wonder I thought #14 and #24 of mastersuperfan's quiz sounded so familiar--I had listened to both of them before! (And #24 does contain a B flat minor version of that melody, too...dang me searching Final Fantasy soundtracks for #24...and I was starting to suspect #14 was from Mario or Kirby...)

Dudeman

HIGH-QUALITY SURVEILLANCE

Also, I challenge your "most badass generic boss theme in existence" with this gem from the probably least-played Mega Man game in existence. For the GameCube. Yeah, that happened once.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

LeviR.star

Blowout Blast doesn't have much original music to it, but I have attempted Secret Path. Still need to beat it, though; it's way harder than I expected it to be.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Dudeman on July 30, 2017, 10:31:01 AMAlso, I challenge your "most badass generic boss theme in existence" with this gem from the probably least-played Mega Man game in existence. For the GameCube. Yeah, that happened once.
Wait, isn't that the platformer spinoff of the RPG spinoff of the platformers?

Dudeman

Why, yes! It's also incredibly ugly and painful to look at! The soundtrack is godly though.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dekkadeci

Here's my fifth Guess-The-Song Quiz:
[PDF] | [MIDI] | [MUS] | [MSCZ]

The MUS is readable in Finale, including Finale Notepad. The MSCZ is readable in Musescore. All other files are based on the original MSCZ, not the MUS--this explains why the PDF doesn't look like the MUS.
The MUS may display and/or play back bugged. The MSCZ, MIDI, and PDF shouldn't.

The bonus section is back (quite possibly for the last time for me)! This round, each melody in the bonus section is from a song that was either written for a video game series but not for any of its games (and they never appear in a game), or they weren't written for any video game series but they appear in one and are prominently associated with that one. All such melodies are labelled #1b through #4b. I will reveal separate tallies for the main section, the bonus section, and both sections combined when I post the results.

This quiz is likely easier than each of my previous two quizzes, though don't feel too bad if you only get one or two! PM away!

You can PM answers to me until Wednesday, August 2 at 5:00 PM MDT (a.k.a. Thursday, August 3 12:00 AM forum default time). I will not count any submissions made after that time, as I'll be too busy tallying results.
Results will be posted shortly afterwards.

Some guidelines for answering, how the melodies are transcribed, and what counts as a correct answer--oh yeah, and some hints right off the bat:
  • You may submit YouTube links/videos instead of game name-song name/best known use pairs.
  • All tempos are approximate.
  • Like last time, I will mark unambiguous songs with the right melody in the right key as correct. If your guess has the right melody in the wrong key, I will mark it as incorrect but PM back that you were close. You can freely guess again until the deadline.
  • I may not have gotten octave voicings correct in this quiz. If you think you've got the right song but it's off by an octave or two in parts, just guess that song anyway.
  • As before, I PM hints! If you can't figure out the song at all, but you guess the series the melody is from and/or give a YouTube link to a similar-sounding piece, I'll PM back about whether you're on the right track.
  • This time, you are only expected to submit series name-song name/best known use pairs or YouTube links/videos for the bonus section. I'm being lenient here because at least one melody in the bonus section doesn't appear in any video games at all.
  • #5 and #3b are less likely to be completely melodically and/or rhythmically accurate than the rest of the melodies.
  • In addition, repeated notes in #5 were sometimes hard to make out, #9 seemed to flange every note when I transcribed it, and #1b's song plays back sharp (so it got hard to transcribe at times).
  • The last bar of #3 is incompletely transcribed.
  • The only series with more than one song in this quiz are Mario, Kirby, and Undertale, all with 2 songs apiece. None of the other songs share a series.

mastersuperfan

The MUS file seems to link to your fourth quiz instead.