News:

Up-to-date news?! Preposterous!

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on October 21, 2017, 03:31:19 PMYeah, but Heavy Lobster is a rather famous theme last I knew.

Nah, it's really just Galacta Knight
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Sorry I'm late

Here's quiz

I totally didn't just cut it off there at 11 melodies because I got tired
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

WaluigiTime64

oh right i'm next oops

WAH QUIZ 11

Just threw something together. It's not in order of difficulty obviously, but you should be able to guess the theme easily (as in, so easily that you could know none of the melodies but still get it). There's no points for guessing it lol.

In slight exchange for the easy theme, the phrases are restricted to only 4 measures per melody. Have fun.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Latios212

I think I may take a break from hosting. I wasn't able to spend enough on this one balancing and such, and I think I may have ended up accidentally using a couple melodies that have already been used before.

#1 (4/5)
Undertale - Battle Against a True Hero
Timestamp: 0:44
mastersuperfan, WaluigiTime64, ThatHiddenCharacter, and Dekkadeci got this correct.
[close]
#2 (4/5)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Melty Monster Galaxy
Timestamp: 0:09 (recurring)
mastersuperfan, WaluigiTime64, ThatHiddenCharacter, and Static got this correct.
[close]
#3 (1/5)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Molduga Battle
Timestamp: 0:45
Static got this correct.
[close]
#4 (3/5)
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Mini-boss
Timestamp: 0:18
Dekkadeci, WaluigiTime64, and Static got this correct.
[close]
#5 (1/5)
Pokémon X & Y - Route 15
Timestamp: 0:46
mastersuperfan got this correct.
[close]
#6 (0/5)
Kirby Mass Attack - Notebook Notes
Timestamp: 0:03
No one got this correct.
[close]
#7 (1/5)
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl - GTS
Timestamp: 0:16
[close]
#8 (2/5)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Kokiri Forest
Timestamp: 0:21
[close]
#9 (1/5)
Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon - Fire Island Volcano
Timestamp: 1:20
[close]
#10 (1/5)
Kirby Super Star - Staff Roll
Timestamp: 0:22
[close]
#11 (0/5)
Mother 3 - Open Sesame Tofu!
Timestamp: 0:00
No one got this correct.
[close]

Score breakdown
MSF won with 7/11!

1 - MSF, Dekka, Wah, THC
2 - MSF, Wah, Static, THC
3 - Static
4 - Dekka, Wah, Static
5 - MSF
6 -
7 - MSF
8 - MSF, THC
9 - MSF
10 - MSF, Dekka
11 -
[close]
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Trasdegi

#9 (1/5)
Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon - Fire Island Volcano
Timestamp: 1:20
[close]

But.... I found this!I know that doesn't change the fact than I didn't found anything else

And I really should've found #5 and #7...

WaluigiTime64

About 3 people have participated in my quiz lol. As expected, the only unguessed melodies are #5 and #8.
Also #7 is the most guessed melody.

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on October 24, 2017, 03:57:24 AMWAH QUIZ 11
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

WaluigiTime64

if anyone else wants to participate in my quiz you don't have too much time left

5 people have participated. #5 and #8 are unguessed.

WaluigiTime64

Ok so the quiz is done now. 5 people participated.

Desert Land - Super Mario Bros. 3:

A desert. 3 people got this.

I'll be honest I probably added an extra note and threw some people off maybe idk.
[close]

Route 111 - Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald Versions:

A desert. 2 people got this.
[close]

Gerudo Desert - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess:

A desert. 1 person got this.
[close]

Dried-up Sea - Kirby Planet Robobot:

[close]

Shamar (Arid Sands (Day)) - Sonic Unleashed:

A desert. Unsurprisingly no one got it. It's pretty much the obscure melody, sort-of tying with another one for that position.
[close]

Gobi's Valley - Banjo-Kazooie:

[close]

Dry Dry Ruins - Mario Kart Wii:

A desert. Everyone got this.
[close]

Rhythm Epilation - Rhythm Tengoku:
Hi-Hat (Rhythm Epilation) - Rhythm Heaven Fever:
Rhythm Tweezers - Rhythm Heaven Megamix:

Not really a desert. Unsurprisingly no one got this. It could also be considered the obscure melody due to its debut being in the Japan-only game. Its appearances elsewhere make that a bit iffy though.
[close]

Pharaoh Man Stage - Mega Man 4:

[close]

Dry Dry Desert Trek - Paper Mario:

A desert. 3 people got this.
[close]

the theme lol
uh... desert-like music. what else
[close]

And the winner is...
MASTERSUPERFAN

With a score of 5/10.
[close]

All Scores
mastersuperfan: 2, 3, 4, 7, 9 [T=5]
Latios212: 1, 2, 7 [T=3]
Sebastian: 6, 7, 10 [T=3]
ThatHiddenCharacter: 1, 7, 10 [T=3]
Static: 1, 7, 10 [T=3]
[close]

I should try balance things better lol. I've been more busy recently so I haven't had much time to make these. Maybe there will be a normal quiz later, maybe not idk.

mastersuperfan

O H B O Y Q U I Z T I M E

NOT-Melody Quiz (MSF 1)

It's pretty much as the title says... so have fun!

Series distribution:
  • 4 Mario tracks
  • 3 Kirby tracks
  • 3 Pokémon melodies
  • 10 other random franchises that aren't repeated (yes, this includes Zelda, because I couldn't find more than one good track to use)

May implement a hint system if necessary. We'll see.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mastersuperfan

Four people have participated.

Update #1:

#1: 3
#2: 3
#3: 1
#4: 0
#5: 2
#6: 2
#7: 0
#8: 0
#9: 0
#10: 1
#11: 1
#12: 1
#13: 0
#14: 0
#15: 2
#16: 0
#17: 0
#18: 0
#19: 1
#20: 0

Average Score: 4.25

Number of Melodies Left Unguessed: 10

There is currently a three-way tie for first.

mastersuperfan

Eight people have participated.

Update #2:

#1: 5
#2: 4
#3: 2
#4: 1
#5: 2
#6: 2
#7: 1
#9: 1
#11: 2
#12: 2
#15: 3
#16: 1
#19: 3

Average Score: 3.75

Number of Melodies Left Unguessed: 6

***I messed up earlier with this sentence; here's the truth:

In the remaining 6 melodies (8, 13, 14, 17, 18, 20), four of them are from either Mario, Kirby, or Pokémon. The sole Zelda melody remains unguessed, along with one other miscellaneous melody. In other words, 6 out of 10 melodies have been guessed from Mario/Kirby/Pokémon, and 8 out of 10 melodies from everything else miscellaneous have been guessed.

Dekkadeci

Darn, I thought #7 and #10 from Wah's quiz sounded familiar. Is that melody from #10 a recurring motif in Paper Mario? It sounded like the Goomba Village theme.

I was about to guess that the theme of that quiz was "pieces that aren't completely in major or minor keys", but I guess that says something about how people think desert music is supposed to sound like.

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Dekkadeci on October 28, 2017, 02:32:40 PMI was about to guess that the theme of that quiz was "pieces that aren't completely in major or minor keys", but I guess that says something about how people think desert music is supposed to sound like.
Actually that's sort-of what I leaned towards anyway, although it's really easy to tell which ones are major or minor. I was just going to use songs with interesting scales but after about 3 of them I just stopped at desert-like scales (double harmonic, etc.).

mastersuperfan

Tomorrow I'll be closing the round early during the afternoon and will be posting a version of the quiz that contains all the melodies alongside these basslines. These won't count for any points... but rather would be a more fun way for you to realize the basslines you missed that you should've gotten. ;)

Anyway, looks like we'll be capping out here at 11 participants...

Update #3:

#1: 6
#2: 4
#3: 2
#4: 1
#5: 3
#6: 4
#7: 1
#9: 1
#11: 2
#12: 2
#15: 4
#16: 2
#19: 3

Average Score: 3.27

Number of Melodies Left Unguessed: 6

Dekkadeci

This will be my last Guess-The-Song Quiz for a while, as I will be moving to Victoria, BC for a contract position.

Here's my 11th Guess-The-Song Quiz:
[PDF] | [MIDI] | [MUS] | [MSCZ]

The MUS is readable in Finale, including Finale Notepad. The MSCZ is readable in Musescore. All other files are based on the original MSCZ, not the MUS--this explains why the PDF doesn't look like the MUS.
The MUS may display and/or play back bugged. The MSCZ, MIDI, and PDF shouldn't.
With that being said, #6 contains scoops that don't play back.

This quiz shouldn't be too difficult, but don't feel too bad if you only get one or two! PM away!

You can PM answers to me until Saturday, Nov. 4 at 1:00 PM MDT (a.k.a. Saturday, Nov. 4 8:00 PM forum default time). I will not count any submissions made after that time, as I'll be too busy tallying results.
Results will be posted shortly afterwards.

Some guidelines for answering, how the melodies are transcribed, and what counts as a correct answer--oh yeah, and some hints right off the bat:
  • You may submit YouTube links/videos instead of game name-song name/best known use pairs.
  • All tempos are approximate.
  • Like last time, I will mark unambiguous songs with the right melody in the right key as correct. If your guess has the right melody in the wrong key, I will mark it as incorrect but PM back that you were close. You can freely guess again until the deadline.
  • I may not have gotten octave voicings correct in this quiz. If you think you've got the right song but it's off by an octave or two in parts, just guess that song anyway.
  • I may not have gotten articulations correct in this quiz.
  • As before, I PM hints! If you can't figure out the song at all, but you guess the series the melody is from and/or give a YouTube link to a similar-sounding piece, I'll PM back about whether you're on the right track.
  • The more obscure the song, the more generous the hints get.
  • Hey, neat! This time, all melodies are equally likely to be melodically and rhythmically accurate!
  • ...Well, except that #8's song may actually be playing in B-C quarter-tone minor instead of B minor.
  • ...And the trill in #2 has too few notes in it.
  • The only series with more than one song in this quiz are Kirby and Final Fantasy. None of the other songs share a series.
  • No two consecutive melodies are from the same series.
  • Heck, no two melodies are from the same game!
  • Yes, there is exactly one Zelda song in this quiz!
  • Sadly, the following series do not appear in this quiz: Mario, Pokemon, Undertale, Pikmin