News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Help downloading all the MIDI files at once

Started by lucasnfe, March 17, 2021, 06:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucasnfe

Hi,

I'm a PhD student at the University of California, Santa Cruz and I'm building a dataset of piano arrangements of video game music in MIDI format for my research. I work with deep learning models for music generation. Is there a way I can download all the MIDI files in the website at once (all consoles, series, etc)? It would lovely if I could get the metadata of each file as well.

Thank you very much!
Lucas

Latios212

Hello and welcome! That sounds like a super exciting project :)

Unfortunately, we don't expose "download all" functionality publicly for a few reasons:
- Bandwidth concerns from the server side
- Our website is a live collection - we occasionally make updates and replace old files
- Discouraging users who would claim the entire collection as their own...

That said, you have a legitimate use case and it's not like you can't get all the MIDI files by spending a few hours clicking all the links on the site (although I don't know what metadata you're looking for)... let me get back to you privately in a little bit :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Hiroari_Till_When

As someone who's working on their PhD as well, trust me, going around clicking and downloading tracks on the site for a couple hours will be faster than your average research session  ;D