[GCN] Super Mario Sunshine - "Sludge Plant Battle" (Replacement) by Fantastic Ike

Started by Zeta, April 12, 2024, 01:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario Sunshine
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Sludge Plant Battle
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Fantastic Ike

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

Fantastic Ike

In my replacement era  8)

Nice funky bassline but oof that original sheet had some...interesting grouping and beaming choices. I tried doing some research and I believe the track should be called "Paint Battle" but it's up for interpretation.

TheZeldaPianist275

Yeah, the on-site sheet is rough--thanks for doing this one, Sunshine music rules. Per the 35th anniversary release of the soundtrack, I believe this one is called "Proto Piranha".

Fantastic Ike

QuotePer the 35th anniversary release of the soundtrack, I believe this one is called "Proto Piranha".

Hmm, okay. Finding the official names of any Mario track is a bit sketchy so I wasn't sure. We'll see what the updaters have to say :)

XiaoMigros

• Thoughts on including that high-up pitched perc instrument? The one that alternates between two notes
  • m7 beat 3.5 RH should be an octave higher
  • m13 RH sounds like only a half note
  • m12 beat 4.75 RH should be written with flats rather than sharps, to lead into m13
  • Listening to said perc instrument, this sheet has currently only written half the original. It kinda loops but not entirely (the perc and the RH in m14 are different) once before actually looping back to m2.

Fantastic Ike

QuoteThoughts on including that high-up pitched perc instrument? The one that alternates between two notes

Kinda sounds too goofy on piano...even for a Mario track lol. I'll include if I must, but I don't like the sound when translated

QuoteListening to said perc instrument, this sheet has currently only written half the original. It kinda loops but not entirely (the perc and the RH in m14 are different) once before actually looping back to m2.

I feel like doubling this sheet would be a futile exercise. My bad for not catching the loop proper. Do you think a second ending would work better than just writing everything down again?

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on April 24, 2024, 06:58:08 AMKinda sounds too goofy on piano...even for a Mario track lol. I'll include if I must, but I don't like the sound when translated
Hmm, I guess without works too

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on April 24, 2024, 06:58:08 AMDo you think a second ending would work better than just writing everything down again?
Yeah, I think a second ending (and a D.S.) should work. As long as it follows the original it should be good :)

Fantastic Ike

Updated with all the changes. Also went back, listened to some note lengths and changed that too.

Latios212

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on April 15, 2024, 02:15:51 PMYeah, the on-site sheet is rough--thanks for doing this one, Sunshine music rules. Per the 35th anniversary release of the soundtrack, I believe this one is called "Proto Piranha".
Quote from: Fantastic Ike on April 16, 2024, 06:57:40 AMHmm, okay. Finding the official names of any Mario track is a bit sketchy so I wasn't sure. We'll see what the updaters have to say :)
I booted up Super Mario 3D All-Stars (RIP Mario) and "Proto Piranha" is indeed correct. Unless there are any other earlier official sources that conflict, we should use that title.

But... the music player does an interesting thing. The track before this in the player is "Mid-Boss" (with a hyphen) which sounds the same aside from the intro. When I play the track listed as "Proto Piranha" in the music player, it plays the version you arranged, but fades out after 15 seconds or so, presumably because the rest is the same as the previous track.

So, thoughts about combining both into one sheet - just writing out and labeling both intros at the beginning and calling the sheet something like "Mid-Boss & Proto Piranha" or "Mid-Boss / Proto Piranha"?

FWIW, the track after, "Phantamanta", is largely the same structurally but does have some differences in instrumentation, so it plays the entire track.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

The Deku Trombonist

According to this post at VGMdb, the name in the Super Mario 3D All-Stars sound test is "Proto Piranha". I wasn't able to find a screenshot or video to confirm, so maybe someone who has the game could check. ninja'd

The most common title you see floating around the internet is "Vs. Polluted Piranha Plant" which was from the most complete rip of the game, done over 10 years ago. That's what you see in many YT uploads etc.

Aside from a couple of tracks on some compilation albums, Super Mario Sunshine didn't get an 'official' soundtrack release until the Super Mario 3D All-Stars sound test.

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on May 08, 2024, 06:05:06 PMsomething like [...] "Mid-Boss / Proto Piranha"?
This seems like a good idea, it's apparently what the Japanese tracklist does as seen here on the Mario Wiki.

TheZeldaPianist275

Not that my opinion matters hugely, but couldn't you do two completely separate sheets with the full piece arranged and just the first couple measures being different? If not that, I think a single sheet with two intros labeled probably makes the most sense.

Fantastic Ike

Hey, just got back. How would I go about doing this on one sheet? At least in terms of spelling out different intros for different songs? I suppose I don't mind doing it on one, but no clue how. Maybe Discord DMs would help.

Latios212

Sorry for the wait - writing a help guide for how to do custom section splitting like in fanfare collection sheets has been on the backburner for a while now.

The main tool I'm aware of to help with things like this is this one:

You cannot view this attachment.

Ignoring any symbols it offers you to create, it'll create a break in the system like this:

You cannot view this attachment.

From there, you can use the Page Layout Tool to change the width of the first/section sections of the system, and add performance markings accordingly to label the intros. You'll also need to adjust the measure numbering. You can also set up custom (hidden) repeat markings to make playback play only the first intro before jumping to the loop, and then jump to the second intro after the loop finishes.

For this sheet, I imagine you can fit both intros on the first system so this should be sufficient to achieve that. Feel free to ask for help or further clarification on how to make any of this work!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Fantastic Ike

Okay, think I got it to a good place with repeats and intros and such. Updated, let me know how this is.