Game: Pokémon Colosseum
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Title Screen
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Kricketune54

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kricketune54

I think this is my favorite arrangement to date that I've done, very warm feelings about the game and this particular track.

Few things I'd like to note about the arrangement for this submission:

-m11-12 shorted held horns, also note that RH pulls up the C an octave
-m13 As pulled down horn voice an octave into LH
-m14 LH octave down on french horn part
-m15-16 Shortened second LH voice by one beat on beat 2
-m33 and 35 shortened held notes for LH
-m41 LH C an octave down

-m41-42 LH pitches are different from original octaves so they are reasonable distances for the LH; this is also present m36-37 with the C moved down an octave in the left hand as to nestle between the F's.

-I'm not sure how to take the tie off of the tremolos in the intro; seems like yet another notepad limitation

-The tremolos are also the reason for the somewhat weird formatting of first six bars; it looked bad in MuseScore (tremolos were stuck popping out of measures when I had 4 bar systems there) so I made an attempt at making it look better.  Apologies if that's not the right set up

-The LH pattern at 7-10 and 25-28 is my attempt at applying some of what came out of the workshop on accompaniment.  Wanted to give a driving feel while also allowing LH some more horizontal motion.

-I'm not sure if the shown rit. at the very end (meant to represent the slowed last two notes) is necessary, because it doesn't seem to work in the midi.  I think it's working in notepad?  I clocked those notes at bpm = 54.  I don't have experience with writing out multiple slowdowns and this was my attempt to convey the following (screenshot of musescore)

mastersuperfan

Kricketune and I discussed and edited this one over Discord, including notes and how to put the parts together. Some of the parts from the original have been modified/extrapolated a bit to work better on piano. I've finally gotten around to formatting the files (measure distribution, system spacing, rest positioning, etc.), and I've updated the post with the new ones. Some additional small changes I made since then (let me know if you're happy with these extra changes):
- Edited initial tempo marking from 84 to 85 (checked this with a metronome tool).
- I removed the accent and the "RH" from m5 LH beat 4. It's playable with the LH (even during the tremolo), so the performer can choose whether to use their LH or RH, and I removed the accent because it seemed very out of place in a forte section where none of the other notes had accents written on them. What do you think?
- I removed the mf in m16 because m7 is already mf.
- I changed the rit. in m25 to molto rit. because it's a really heavy slowdown.
- I checked the tempo in m26 and it's 120 bpm. A 4 bpm slowdown is hard to gauge accurately, though, so I also included a note saying "Poco meno mosso" (slow down slightly).
- The rhythms in m26-27 are actually 8ths-16th rest-16ths too... oops. Changed those back.

Let me know if the new files look good to you! If so, I'm happy to approve.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Kricketune54

Looks great to me!  Thanks so much for all those changes and the additional ones.  For whoever looks over this next I'd be happy to discuss anything you have questions about as far as new rhythms we came up with

Latios212

Nice work! This is a cool cinematic piece and I like the accompaniment patterns and textures you guys came up with. Some final feedback from me:

- I'm hearing m. 2 beat 4 as an A instead of G (it strikes the same pitch as m. 3 beat 2). Same for the lower layer in m. 6.
- Sounds like the first chord in m. 4 should have an Ab on top for continuity of the ascending top voice
- m. 10 beat 4 might be better without a staccato? It seems a bit abrupt here.
- I feel like the different sections of the main loop could use some differentiation in the way of performance direction. Measures 7-10 and 15-16 are bold and triumphant, while 11-14 and 17-22 are more flowing and majestic. Thoughts on adding some kind of flavor text? The only thing visibly setting these parts aside is the presence/absence of accent markings in the accompaniment.
- The end section is very subdued - may I suggest a p instead of mp?

Edit: just had a lengthy conversation with MSF about the bell voice in m. 2-3 and 5-6. The places I mentioned above sound pretty clearly like A's to me. HOWEVER, the horn in m. 3 beat 2 actually plays a G, unlike the bell, which makes more harmonic sense given the C major chord. So maybe the bell's just a little detuned. MSF said that writing in those G's was a conscious decision to fit the C harmony, which I suppose makes sense given the above.

Whichever you choose, just be sure to keep m2b4, m3b2, and m6b1 consistent.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote- Sounds like the first chord in m. 4 should have an Ab on top for continuity of the ascending top voice
- m. 10 beat 4 might be better without a staccato? It seems a bit abrupt here.
- The end section is very subdued - may I suggest a p instead of mp?

removed and fixed the A and made it Piano

Quote- I feel like the different sections of the main loop could use some differentiation in the way of performance direction. Measures 7-10 and 15-16 are bold and triumphant, while 11-14 and 17-22 are more flowing and majestic. Thoughts on adding some kind of flavor text? The only thing visibly setting these parts aside is the presence/absence of accent markings in the accompaniment.

Did my best on this that I could.  I personally am not super familiar with the different expressive texts so I went by what seemed to fit on wikipedia.  Most iffy about the Maestoso I put in since it's so similar to the expression at the beginning of the piece.

QuoteEdit: just had a lengthy conversation with MSF about the bell voice in m. 2-3 and 5-6. The places I mentioned above sound pretty clearly like A's to me. HOWEVER, the horn in m. 3 beat 2 actually plays a G, unlike the bell, which makes more harmonic sense given the C major chord. So maybe the bell's just a little detuned. MSF said that writing in those G's was a conscious decision to fit the C harmony, which I suppose makes sense given the above.

Whichever you choose, just be sure to keep m2b4, m3b2, and m6b1 consistent.

My ears will forever bug me cause I know it's supposed to be an A for those pitches on m2 and m5-6, but I understand the rationale MSF has for that.  If you think that it's better for those to be A's let me know but I'm willing to go with MSF still if there's no huge issue with going against the "transcription"

Resubmitted with changes

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 25, 2021, 08:00:01 AMMy ears will forever bug me cause I know it's supposed to be an A for those pitches on m2 and m5-6, but I understand the rationale MSF has for that.  If you think that it's better for those to be A's let me know but I'm willing to go with MSF still if there's no huge issue with going against the "transcription"

I think you can decide this one up to your own preference.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Kricketune54

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 25, 2021, 10:27:29 AMI think you can decide this one up to your own preference.

In that case the G's are now A's

Latios212

Cool, a last few things:
- I didn't mean to remove the lower Ab in m. 4, just add one up top
- Would suggest removing the lower tied G in m. 5-6 to make space for the A (and not clobber the E in m. 5 beat 3 with ties)
- m. 11 expression text should probably match the rest - changed it to cold, capitalized, and full word

I think that's it... I edited the files with that stuff plus the v26 articulation reset. If it all looks good to you, will accept :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote from: Latios212 on May 25, 2021, 03:58:20 PMCool, a last few things:
- I didn't mean to remove the lower Ab in m. 4, just add one up top
- Would suggest removing the lower tied G in m. 5-6 to make space for the A (and not clobber the E in m. 5 beat 3 with ties)
- m. 11 expression text should probably match the rest - changed it to cold, capitalized, and full word

I think that's it... I edited the files with that stuff plus the v26 articulation reset. If it all looks good to you, will accept :)

Okay great!  Thank you it looks great now  ;D

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot