Libera's Compositions

Started by Libera, July 21, 2018, 12:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libera

I used to do a fair bit of composing many years ago.  Getting back into music-y stuff in general convinced me that I should probably do some again.  I mostly do art-songs, but have been known to do to other stuff.  I have a few that I wrote some years ago that I've never properly notated, so I might do that at some point and stick them up here.

Instead of that, here's one that I wrote literally this afternoon/evening.  A. E. Housman is my favourite poet, and he's an absolute charm to set.  If you want a little bit of context, Housman was an English poet in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century and this poem in particular was published in 1922.

Lancer- [Musx] [Pdf] [Mid] [Mus]

If you notice any problems with the sheets or have any criticism in general, let me know.  (In particular I'm not very good at getting Finale to play it like I want it to, so any help regarding that sort of stuff would be appreciated).

MaestroUGC

This is a fun ditty. A few comments:

Dynamic markings for voice parts always go above their staff, this is to avoid collisions with the text. The vocal line is also missing some slur markings, mostly around those held notes.

Based on the range I'm assuming this is best suited for a tenor? If such is the case use a suboctave treble clef for the vocal line. It could also be done with a baritone, but given most of the action is around middle C I'd err on a tenor singing it in this key and range.

Other than that it's a fun song, and if I still sang I might've given it a go. The galloping nature makes it a fun patter song, though I can tell it'll take a lot of work to make sure the text isn't muddy at this tempo.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Libera

This is very late response but still I remembered this thread so I came back.  Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback and also just for listening to it in general!
Quote from: MaestroUGC on July 26, 2018, 12:58:59 PMDynamic markings for voice parts always go above their staff, this is to avoid collisions with the text. The vocal line is also missing some slur markings, mostly around those held notes.
This is really useful in particular I'll keep this in mind in future.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on July 26, 2018, 12:58:59 PMBased on the range I'm assuming this is best suited for a tenor? If such is the case use a suboctave treble clef for the vocal line. It could also be done with a baritone, but given most of the action is around middle C I'd err on a tenor singing it in this key and range.
Range is a funny one since this is actually entirely in bass, baritone and tenor range with no problems.  I've seen Fs asked for in bass parts before frequently.  What I mean to say here is that it's really intended for male voice and it's written such that any male singer should be able to get it.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on July 26, 2018, 12:58:59 PMOther than that it's a fun song, and if I still sang I might've given it a go.
Aww singing is great, don't give it up!
Quote from: MaestroUGC on July 26, 2018, 12:58:59 PMThe galloping nature makes it a fun patter song, though I can tell it'll take a lot of work to make sure the text isn't muddy at this tempo.
Yep, that's the challenge with this song.  I put a tempo marking in but really if you're performing it you should sing it as fast as you possibly can while keeping the words understandable.  (Which may end up being slower than the tempo marking, I'd be very impressed by anyone who managed to get it much faster than that.)

I might give this piece a face-lift at some point but I'm so busy at the moment so it'll have to wait for now.

Brassman388

Lib, I didn't know you composed you waskly wabbit.

I like it. Even if I don't have anything to talk about compositionally yet.

Libera

Quote from: Brassman388 on October 12, 2018, 09:42:42 PMLib, I didn't know you composed you waskly wabbit.

I like it. Even if I don't have anything to talk about compositionally yet.

That I do, occasionally.  And I'm glad you like it!