News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[NES] Ninja Gaiden (NES) - "The Amazing Ryu (4-2)" by LeviR.star

Started by Zeta, January 18, 2019, 10:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Ninja Gaiden (NES)
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: The Amazing Ryu (4-2)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

[attachment deleted by admin]

LeviR.star

Thought this notable-enough franchise needed at least one song to be represented by on the site.

Ninja Gaiden (NES), not to be confused with its Double Dragon-esque arcade predecessor.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Libera

This looks great!   Just got some small comments:

-Especially since I know you've been considering playability recently, I'd consider changing those sets of consecutive semiquavers in bars 3 and 5 to two quavers instead.  It'll sound pretty similar and would be way easier to play.
-In bar 7, why not also have foot stomps on the last two quavers of the bar to match the original?
-I think you didn't like it when I recommended it last time, but consider making the D.S. more explicit that it's the second time rather than the first (especially with all of these repeats going on it would just make it much clearer written in).

Also where you getting the name from?  I've found this which lists the track as 'The Amazing Ryu'. 

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on January 27, 2019, 08:56:31 AM-Especially since I know you've been considering playability recently, I'd consider changing those sets of consecutive semiquavers in bars 3 and 5 to two quavers instead.  It'll sound pretty similar and would be way easier to play.

I appreciate you considering my recent adjustment, but I actually purposely left those as 16ths. Since the use of that rhythm throughout this track is limited, and their placing makes it possible for any dominant finger to take over (unless, of course, an unlucky performer is playing on an old, sticky piano,) I found those notes manageable at this tempo, and that simplifying them to 8ths reduced the motivating drive of the song. But once again, thank you for bringing this up.

Quote from: Libera on January 27, 2019, 08:56:31 AM-In bar 7, why not also have foot stomps on the last two quavers of the bar to match the original?

I'm not exactly sure what was going through my head. It may have been that I was also listening to this remix at the time out of curiosity, and heard no percussion playing while that part of the melody introduced itself. My mistake.

Quote from: Libera on January 27, 2019, 08:56:31 AM-I think you didn't like it when I recommended it last time, but consider making the D.S. more explicit that it's the second time rather than the first (especially with all of these repeats going on it would just make it much clearer written in).

Here's a better explanation of why I didn't do it that time (or this time, for that matter): if I already have a forward-facing repeat at m. 13, why would the backwards-facing one in the last measure order a jump back to the segno at m. 2? It just seems to me that if that's the way the performer would interpret those repeats, they're thinking about them too hard.

Quote from: Libera on January 27, 2019, 08:56:31 AMAlso where you getting the name from?  I've found this which lists the track as 'The Amazing Ryu'. 

Honestly, while it's hard for me to argue with a source as official as that, I've seen too many names for this stage theme. "Ryu's Determination", "Ryu Hayabusa Theme", and "Basilisk Mine" were among some of the titles that I found, but the only reason I used the name I have is because it was the most common. That said, one thing I noticed is that nearly all of them had "(4-2)" at the end as a stage clarification. If that source you have truly is official, how about "The Amazing Ryu (4-2)" as a title? It would be a lot better than "Stage 4-2".

Updating the files once the above is addressed.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Libera

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 29, 2019, 07:09:54 PMI appreciate you considering my recent adjustment, but I actually purposely left those as 16ths. Since the use of that rhythm throughout this track is limited, and their placing makes it possible for any dominant finger to take over (unless, of course, an unlucky performer is playing on an old, sticky piano,) I found those notes manageable at this tempo, and that simplifying them to 8ths reduced the motivating drive of the song. But once again, thank you for bringing this up.

That seems fair, no worries.

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 29, 2019, 07:09:54 PMHere's a better explanation of why I didn't do it that time (or this time, for that matter): if I already have a forward-facing repeat at m. 13, why would the backwards-facing one in the last measure order a jump back to the segno at m. 2? It just seems to me that if that's the way the performer would interpret those repeats, they're thinking about them too hard.

I guess I'm coming at from the point of view of minimising mistakes on the sight-reader's part, but if you'd prefer it that way I'm then I'm not going to force it or anything.

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 29, 2019, 07:09:54 PMHonestly, while it's hard for me to argue with a source as official as that, I've seen too many names for this stage theme. "Ryu's Determination", "Ryu Hayabusa Theme", and "Basilisk Mine" were among some of the titles that I found, but the only reason I used the name I have is because it was the most common. That said, one thing I noticed is that nearly all of them had "(4-2)" at the end as a stage clarification. If that source you have truly is official, how about "The Amazing Ryu (4-2)" as a title? It would be a lot better than "Stage 4-2".

That seems fine by me, but it's probably worth checking with someone else (hey Latios).

Finally, something I've realised on my recent Ninja Gaiden experience is that this piece also functions as the credits' music but with a short ending incorporated.  If this was my arrangement, what I would do is include that ending in the sheet (sort of like an optional ending) and then include a performance note saying that if one wants to play the credits' music, they can add in the ending after x amount of loops (I haven't counted them yet or anything.)  Something to think about at least.

mikey

given traditional NES soundtrack names "Ryu Hayabusa Theme" strikes me as the most likely to be the official name out of the ones you mentioned, if not "Stage 4-2".

also this game is lowkey frustrating casually it's on the nes classic
unmotivated

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on January 30, 2019, 12:05:52 PMThat seems fine by me, but it's probably worth checking with someone else (hey Latios).
hey

As usual if you're more familiar with a soundtrack than I am (I don't know this game or soundtrack at all) I'm generally going to defer to you for the most reasonable track names. Take a look what what Libera and mikey said and decide what you think is best.

That said, if you want to parenthesize the (4-2) I'd recommend using (Stage 4-2) instead to clarify what the numbers refer to.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

I updated the files. Personally, I feel that "4-2" is implied to be a stage, but if you want to change it, you can.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot