News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

'Tis Marching Season

Started by Gooch, July 27, 2008, 08:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davey

Season's over.  :(

We finished with 11th place in the state by 0.0075 of a point. Our score was 72.5025. The top 10 got into states. I'm going to ask for a video of our show to anyone that cares. Our show this year was based on 'Chase - The Music of Bill Chase', a trumpet heavy show that is one of the most musically and physically demanding of our state. We had one other competitor that played the same show as us, Hazel Park, and we 5 pointed them both MCBA competitions we played with them. If you would like the Marching Band's arrangements of the song as an .mp3 file or the original performance of Bill Chase's, "Open Up Wide," as an .mp3 then just ask.

Gooch

Season has come to an end. We got 6th in State, sort of truly depressing, all the bands that beat us out of Finals sucked. We got 15th out of 35 bands at the Indy BoA. I say that's good since 8 of those bands are national champions and another one won state this year.

iDOWN

Our season has sadly ended as well.

Must I say, because of Hurricane Gustav, we got rid of our first show, and started a new show on September 16. Still, we placed 4th in state out of 36, and we decided not to go to BoA. Sadly, it was my senior year, but I think I had the most fun this year than I ever had. I'm so proud of the drum line that I could just ramble about them forever. ^_^

EDIT: This was our show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UP5GKioIRE

I'll post a better quality one when the DVD comes out. This one skips...

EDIT 2: I'm the smallest Bass drum. You can see me at the very begining. :3

Davey

Wow iDOWN, what class is your band? Like AAA? Jesus!

Gooch

This is our Regionals show. I hope the Indy show will be posted up soon, it sounded the best. This, truly, was NOT our greatest show, but it is our most recent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGDwZGfVaNQ

Davey

I wish I had sound to hear your guys' shows. But visually it looks good... you know... from crappy youtube quality... O_O

iDOWN

Jimbabwe

i hate all the videos of my band floating around, you just can't get the sound of a 300 member band on a youtube video

Gooch

Epic Bump, but 'Tis Marching Season once again :) We've been in Band Camp for a week now, and the progress we've made is astounding. First of all, our Band Director (Randy Webb, if any of you care) quit the job and didn't tell us until the end of school (literally finished playing for Graduation and said he wouldn't be coming back...and didn't), so we have a new band director who was our old Assistant Band Director. So, Steve (the new band director) has been absolutely amazing and great progress has been made. We had our Drill ready for us by the first day of band camp, and in one week, we have our entire opener on the field, with most of the opener memorized! :) Our Drill comes from some guy way down in Texas (surprising he would write for a Kentucky band) who also does DCI drill for someone...can't remember the name, and he did a great job...even though the drill is a tad confusing for the name. Our show is entitled "O: Overtures in Motion" which is just as it states, a bunch of Overtures thrown into a Marching Show. We are playing heavilly on "Overture Candide", and our preshow is "Nossa Dorma". Scattered here and there is "1812 Overture" "The Barber of Seville" and "The Magic Flute" among a few other themes. So, bearing that in mind, most all of our drill is focused around angles, diamonds, and triangles...with very few circles, strangely. Im just hoping the judges don't hurt us for that. Well, happy Marching, and i hope you all start talking again in this thread! I do so enjoy hearing everyone's progress! :)

Nana1Popo2

^ nice :D

that sounds like us last year, we had most of the opener memorized in band camp (one week), too :D

but this year should be interesting. we have 34 freshman coming up!!!! thats exactly half the size of the band!! XD woo, should be interesting....

when we came up as freshman (last year) we were great learners :D but i wonder how they will be..... >.>
Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity; ASU Alumnus '16; DCP '16

Davey

FUCK YEAR MARCHING BAND THREAD

Day one of marching band is over. The pain is only going to get worse.

Gooch

Well...our Band Director has done...something to his back. Slipped discs, pinched nerves. He basically crawled into the car as his wife drove him home Friday...he probably wont be back until next week... :P Probably my biggest hate about this year is that I've been forcebly switched onto the Bari Sax instead of the Alto Sax, so, its like having 20 extra pounds (not really) pulling your forward as i have to jazz run everywhere...plus we're only going 120 bpm versus the actual tempo of 152 :P

Davey

Quote from: Gooch on August 04, 2009, 07:44:38 PM*sob story*

Sucks man. My band camp is been great. I've got two or three trumpet solos too. Fun stuff man.

Petpetfood

Today is band camp day 2 for me, it's fun so far :D.

Nana1Popo2

band camp day 4 comin up for me, and we start in about 2 hours and 45 minutes :P
its been great so far, too! :D
Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity; ASU Alumnus '16; DCP '16