[3DS] Tomodachi Life - "Ballad" by Nine Lives

Started by Zeta, May 12, 2019, 01:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libera

Hopefully these are the edits that you're looking for.  I put in the pedal markings as you showed in your pdf and I fixed up the margins for you.  I also brought it into a different template that should have better spacings I think.  I also changed your dotted crotchet rests into crotchet followed by quaver rests (which is the standard practice outside of compound time.)

The other change that I made is that I made bar 1 be in 3/4 rather than 5/8.  Personally it sounds the same length as the subsequent 3/4 bar and since there isn't any 5/8 movement to distinguish it I felt that having it in 5/8 only complicated things.  Another thing to say about the first bar (which I did not edit in) is that it's a G/A chord, so there should really be an A in the bass and a D also in the right hand.

NineLives

Thanks for the edits, Libera!
Quote from: Libera on June 23, 2019, 11:25:18 AMAnother thing to say about the first bar (which I did not edit in) is that it's a G/A chord, so there should really be an A in the bass and a D also in the right hand.
As for the change you requested above, I did just that. Along with it, I put in an F chord for the second measure as well.

Libera

Quote from: Libera on June 15, 2019, 03:06:25 PMUntil I'm sure on what piece I'm actually supposed to be looking at, I'll leave out the notes.

And now I am sure, so here I am with the notes.

Quote from: NineLives on June 23, 2019, 12:57:13 PMAlong with it, I put in an F chord for the second measure as well.

It's actually just a D major chord there, so change the C# to a D in that chord and it'll be good.

Other things:

-I think the RH F# in bar 5 and 7 is actually a D.
-Not sure a grace note in bar 9 is the best way to write that.  I think it'd be better as a rolled chord, but also I think the G should be an E.
-The chord in bar 8 is G/A (like the first bar) so I think you should change the E to a D.
-The bass note in bar 3 sounds like an F# rather than a G.
-I think there should be an A in the RH chord in bar 15.
-Careful of your beaming when you're in irregular time signatures.  Bar 9 and 11 are done correctly whereas bars 6 and 15 are not.  In bar 9 and 11 you have beamed both the right and left hand as 2+2+3 which is fine but in bar 6 you have beamed the right hand as 2+2+3 and the left hand as 3+2+2 which means they don't match up.  I'd try and make all the 7/8 bars consistent throughout the piece and having them all as 2+2+3 would probably be fine.  Bar 15 has the right hand as 2+2+1 (which is pretty strange I think) whereas the left hand is in a much more standard 3+2 so I'd change the right hand to reflect that (i.e. rewrite the RH as a dotted crotchet tied to a crotchet).

Quote from: NineLives on June 14, 2019, 11:14:14 AMI don't think I'd like to add in any of the vocal parts as they're different the second time around. I hope that makes sense.

If that's your decision then fair enough, we'd certainly need to write out an extra page if we wanted to include the vocal part.  Still it's a bit of a shame to leave it out.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that sometimes you split the arpeggio-like accompaniment across two voices (like in bar 14 and 17) and I think it'd be a good idea to try and not do that so that it's clear what's the melody and which are the accompaniment lines.  It also sort of happens in bar 8 but the voicings I think are less clear so it's not really a big deal.  (The solution to this, by the way, is by cross staffing, voice leading lines or something similar.)

NineLives

All righty. I think I fixed most of what you requested.
Quote from: Libera on June 30, 2019, 11:30:36 AMAnother thing I'd like to point out is that sometimes you split the arpeggio-like accompaniment across two voices (like in bar 14 and 17) and I think it'd be a good idea to try and not do that so that it's clear what's the melody and which are the accompaniment lines.  It also sort of happens in bar 8 but the voicings I think are less clear so it's not really a big deal.  (The solution to this, by the way, is by cross staffing, voice leading lines or something similar.)
For this, however, Notepad doesn't seem to allow me to cross staff. If I could get some assistance on that as well, that'd be most appreciated. I'm also having a bit of trouble with some of the tied notes. I think they might be only decorative on Notepad.

Libera

Here's a file with hopefully everything you need on it?

File

NineLives

Quote from: Libera on June 30, 2019, 04:21:14 PMHere's a file with hopefully everything you need on it?
Yup, that should just about do it. Thanks, Libera!

Latios212

Hey, this is looking great! Just a last couple of minor things from me.
- The first measure should have the left hand A lowered an octave. It'd better convey the bass-y sound and transition into the low D in the next measure.
- The pedal markings are a bit close to the left hand notes in places.
- I think measure 15 would make more sense as 2+3 instead of 3+2. All the left hand arpeggios in other measures start with 2+2, and the beat of the song is written in quarter notes so it makes sense to try and keep the quarter note pulse where possible at the beginning of these measures. You could think of these /8 measures as /4 measures that end either an eighth note early or late and tacking on the last note to the last pair of eighths would make sense similar to how the 7/8 bars are written.

I've made the above minor edits for you. With that, big approval!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot