News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

[MUL] Final Fantasy XIII - "Lightning's Theme" by Libera

Started by Zeta, July 11, 2019, 05:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Final Fantasy
Game: Final Fantasy XIII
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Lightning's Theme
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Libera

[attachment deleted by admin]

Libera

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on July 11, 2019, 05:42:54 PMZaaaaaaappppppp!
is_this_a_pikachu.jpg

- I think reducing the required distance between tied notes a bit would help the layout here. Places like m. 10 have disproportionately large amounts of space dedicated to ties, making other things cramped. (This might result in some manual adjustment of the ties between chords in page 2 if we change the setting though.) Alternatively you could try spilling over onto 3 pages but overall I think the horizontal cramping in places doesn't look great.
- Could we include the D in the right hand of beat 3 in measure 1 for fuller harmony?
- Click something in measure 3 to respace it; currently the E is too close to the barline
- I'm not too sure about the way the right hand chord is presented in m. 2; the string run from the previous measure resolves on the F# and the piano plays a B, so I find the A on top a bit odd. Maybe I just need to listen to it some more
- Any reason why m. 5 and 6 have a different chord in the right hand? It sounds like nothing's changing in the original.
- Any reason why the harmony is on beat 3 instead of 1 in m. 12 unlike everywhere else?
- Crescendo in m. 16?
- Hearing the last few 16th notes in m 18 as E-C-B-A
- First chord in m. 26 sounds a bit empty. I think the A should be included
- Second half m. 28 - are these deliberately not octaves like the piano plays in the original?
- High A in m. 30 also sounds like an octave. Potentially the melody notes in the couple measures following as well, but up to you.

Good work, not an easy piece.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on July 20, 2019, 02:15:10 PM- I think reducing the required distance between tied notes a bit would help the layout here. Places like m. 10 have disproportionately large amounts of space dedicated to ties, making other things cramped. (This might result in some manual adjustment of the ties between chords in page 2 if we change the setting though.) Alternatively you could try spilling over onto 3 pages but overall I think the horizontal cramping in places doesn't look great.

I had a mess around with this and hopefully it's better now.  If you think it could be better let me know.

Quote from: Latios212 on July 20, 2019, 02:15:10 PM- Could we include the D in the right hand of beat 3 in measure 1 for fuller harmony?
- Click something in measure 3 to respace it; currently the E is too close to the barline
- Crescendo in m. 16?

All done.

Quote from: Latios212 on July 20, 2019, 02:15:10 PM- I'm not too sure about the way the right hand chord is presented in m. 2; the string run from the previous measure resolves on the F# and the piano plays a B, so I find the A on top a bit odd. Maybe I just need to listen to it some more

Oops yeah that A was meant to be a B.

Quote from: Latios212 on July 20, 2019, 02:15:10 PM- Any reason why m. 5 and 6 have a different chord in the right hand? It sounds like nothing's changing in the original.

There's a change in one of the string parts that I wanted to reflect.  But yeah let's make sure the chords are the same.  (I've put in the B below in bar 5 and the A below on bar 6.)

Quote from: Latios212 on July 20, 2019, 02:15:10 PM- Any reason why the harmony is on beat 3 instead of 1 in m. 12 unlike everywhere else?

It's more awkward to play there alongside the melody and also it'd mean the chords would get voiced in a higher register than the surrounding chords.

Quote from: Latios212 on July 20, 2019, 02:15:10 PM- Hearing the last few 16th notes in m 18 as E-C-B-A

Bar 19 but yes, nice catch.

Quote from: Latios212 on July 20, 2019, 02:15:10 PM- First chord in m. 26 sounds a bit empty. I think the A should be included

After much deliberation I substituted the E for the A.  I don't want to suddenly have one of these chords be four notes rather than three (for ease of playing and also uniformity).

Quote from: Latios212 on July 20, 2019, 02:15:10 PM- Second half m. 28 - are these deliberately not octaves like the piano plays in the original?

I think I was worried about it not being easy to play without pedal, but I've decided to throw in pedal for that half bar and add in those octaves.

Quote from: Latios212 on July 20, 2019, 02:15:10 PM- High A in m. 30 also sounds like an octave. Potentially the melody notes in the couple measures following as well, but up to you.

100% sold on the octave on the high A, not sure why I didn't have that in the first place, but I'm not hearing the subsequent ones as octaves so I left that as is.  Even if they are, we're kind of winding down there at that point so octaves would be a little counter to that.

Quote from: Latios212 on July 20, 2019, 02:15:10 PMGood work, not an easy piece.

Thanks, and no it definitely isn't.  It's also not an easy piece to check with all the harmony, so thanks for doing that!

Latios212

No problem ^^ changes look good, just a last few tiny comments on some small visual things.
- I'd suggest bending the top tie in m. 2-3 down a bit so it doesn't interfere with the top staff line (making the upper layer a bit more awkward to read)
- Spacing overall looks better but there are still some places where it could be improved, maybe it'd be worth just shifting things around manually here. Specifically I'd suggest moving the beat 3 notes in m. 10 left a bit to make more space before beat 4, and mess around with the latter two beats of m. 36 so the Fn is a bit less squished at the end. I think everything else is passable, although the proximity of the last notes in m. 9-12 to the barline does make me a bit uncomfortable.
- For the tie between beats 3-4 in m. 28 I'd suggest flipping the lower tie down to bend it away from the notes in the middle.
- This is really minor and I don't recall if I've ever run into it before but in m. 35 and 37 the dotted half notes aren't aligned properly with the whole note beneath it because they're different widths and it looks like they're currently aligned with the whole notes on the right. Maybe nudge them left a couple of notches.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

All should be fixed now, though you better not complain when I ask you to edit ties in future. :P

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Despite all the negative things i've heard said about FFXIII, I have never heard anyone complain about the OST because it's pretty great. As is this sheet

accepted

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Maelstrom.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot