News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Halloween 2k19 Update

Started by Latios212, October 01, 2019, 04:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on October 05, 2019, 09:41:40 AMDo you have an original for reference for SM3DL Castle with the intro?

Yes, it's right here: Super Mario 3D Land - Castle.mp3

Quote from: Latios212 on October 05, 2019, 09:41:40 AMLevi - Deltarune - The Circus
- Move the LH eighth rests back onto the staff
- Is there a reason for the upper Ab in the chord in m. 13? It's inconsistent with everywhere else and I don't hear anything special there
- Cb in m. 22
- I would suggest continuing to separate the LH parts visually in m. 13+ to indicate that there are two independent voices that are responsible for the odd intervals. If you want to do that, instead of using two layers where the rhythm is the same, you can use the double/split stem tool:
You cannot view this attachment.

- will do that, thank you
- not sure why that's there. Must've placed an extra note by accident somehow
- got it, changed
- I agree, it would look better that way. I had a little trouble making it work at first, but now all we need to worry about is making sure those intervals are correct

Quote from: LeviR.star on October 04, 2019, 09:23:32 PMFile within my folder has been updated.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Static - Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II - Death Match
- I think the gliss at the end of m. 12 starts on Bn, not Bb?
- I hear the 2nd/3rd notes of each sextuplet in m. 17-18 as swapped, so each has the contour of two descending triplets.
- Otherwise looks and sounds great!

Static - Saya no Uta - SABBATH
- what the heck this is so pretty
- I think it might be nice to try and include the new voice that comes in for m. 21-28, but it's okay if you don't want to.
- m. 32 beats 1-2 sound to me like they should be parallel sixths (G and A below the melody).
- I think the C in the last measure might be nicer in the right hand. Up to you though.

Static - Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - Vim Factory
- Looks good

Static - Kirby Mass Attack - Vast Darkness
- https
- In m. 12 I would suggest flipping the layer 3 half note down to make more room between it and the rests above (there's sufficient space below it)
- I think it would be cool to try and capture that weird descending line in the last measure. If it doesn't work well though that's fine.

Levi - Deltarune - The Circus
- Cool, looks good to me now. Approved
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Static on October 04, 2019, 05:56:37 PM- m27: Move the 27 box to the right just a bit.
- m34: Maybe some accents here on all the notes from beats 1-3? Helps to lead back into the first section.
- m68 section: Also some accents on beats 1-3 of m75 like above.
- m84: The 84 box is touching the natural.
- Change http to https.
Fixed.

Quote from: Static on October 04, 2019, 05:56:37 PM- m68 section: You can include some of the 16th note drum stuff here if you want.
Eh, I think I'll leave them out of the arrangement. I hope you don't mind.

Quote from: Static on October 04, 2019, 05:56:37 PM- You could argue that the piece is actually in E major but using some minor notes as blues notes or something... but I'm not going to argue that. I think it's fine as is.
Pretty much all the riffs in DOOM are written using the affectionately named Metallica Scale, which is pretty much just the minor scale plus the b2 & b5. As for the chords, I'd say that's part of the rock/metal mentality of "every chord is either a power chord or a major chord." I can see where you're coming from, but I'm certain E minor is the correct key.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on October 02, 2019, 12:42:45 PMDoom [PC]
"Intermission from DOOM [E2M3]"MUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal

Th3Gavst3r

I have a few sheet ready now, with a couple more Cave Story ones still in progress.

[MUL] Cave Story

Cemetery

[GBC] Pokémon Gold Version and Pokémon Silver Version

Ruins of Alph
Union Cave

Latios212

Levi - Super Mario 3D Land - Castle
- m. 2: playback seems to be working fine but I think visually we want a natural sign on the trill to indicate the E is alternating with Fn not F#
- I think you could be more clear with the timing here. It's not clear how much of a rest you want between m. 2 and 3 as written. You could make a longer bar and show some rests
- Beat 5 of m. 7 sounds more like it should be a C-Fn dyad with a sharp mordent on it rather than a grace note with two dyads.
- Similar for m. 11 but instead of a mordent it sounds like the melody goes A-C-A real quick... I can suggest how to write this out if you like
- m. 20: Use Fn instead of E#
- The rest looks good!

Levi - Castlevania Legends - Prologue
- m. 4 - don't think that tie should be there
- I'd suggest shortening the last system or distributing things a bit differently so it isn't so spaced out at the end (something along the lines of making the first and last system have 4 measures, perhaps)

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on October 05, 2019, 07:54:19 PM[GBC] Pokémon Gold Version and Pokémon Silver Version

Ruins of Alph
Union Cave
These look good!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

In addition to Latios' feedback:
-Is there any reason to not to include the A on beat 3 in bars 20 and 28?  I'd suggest doing so, since there's nothing else happening there on the sheet at the moment.
-Perhaps you could make better use of the second page?  Either by going for a 4/5 distribution rather than 5/4, or by just spreading out the four systems on page 2 a bit more evenly.
-Steam calls this 'The Song of Saya' and I thought we only used romanicised titles if there was no official English name?
-Could we have the left margin a bit bigger, please? :P

Latios212 - Octopath Traveler - Requiem for the Fallen
-Looks great, just I thought you'd want a courtesy natural on the A in bar 4?

Levi - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Game Over
Looks great, approved!

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on October 06, 2019, 12:40:43 PMLatios212 - Octopath Traveler - Requiem for the Fallen
-Looks great, just I thought you'd want a courtesy natural on the A in bar 4?
Sure, sounds good. I've updated the file

Quote from: Libera on October 06, 2019, 12:40:43 PMLevi - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Game Over
Looks great, approved!
Aaand we have our first sheet accepted

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: LeviR.star on October 04, 2019, 09:23:32 PM- noted, will do that
- makes sense to me; not sure why I didn't mark it that way before, but I've fixed that little inconsistency
- oh, for Pete's sake! I feel like this kind of thing happened during last year's Winter update. Sorry, I assumed the second loop was identical minus the percussion; added the second ending. Might need you or someone else to verify for me if the last few bars' rhythms are right, because I can't always tell what is a percussive beat vs. what is a re-strike

File within my folder has been updated.
Awesome, looks great. I approve.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on October 05, 2019, 07:25:36 PMEh, I think I'll leave them out of the arrangement. I hope you don't mind.
Sounds good to me.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on October 05, 2019, 07:25:36 PMPretty much all the riffs in DOOM are written using the affectionately named Metallica Scale, which is pretty much just the minor scale plus the b2 & b5. As for the chords, I'd say that's part of the rock/metal mentality of "every chord is either a power chord or a major chord." I can see where you're coming from, but I'm certain E minor is the correct key.
Quote from: Static on October 04, 2019, 05:56:37 PMI think it's fine as is.
Approved.

Quote from: Latios212 on October 05, 2019, 06:53:29 PMStatic - Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II - Death Match
- I think the gliss at the end of m. 12 starts on Bn, not Bb?
- I hear the 2nd/3rd notes of each sextuplet in m. 17-18 as swapped, so each has the contour of two descending triplets.
- Otherwise looks and sounds great!
Fixed m12 (and also the first set of grace notes in m16; it starts on En not Eb). I don't hear m17-18 like that, but I'm fine writing it either way. I'm just gonna leave it as is for now. I also added a crescendo for m17-18.

Quote from: Latios212 on October 05, 2019, 06:53:29 PMStatic - Saya no Uta - SABBATH
- what the heck this is so pretty
- I think it might be nice to try and include the new voice that comes in for m. 21-28, but it's okay if you don't want to.
- m. 32 beats 1-2 sound to me like they should be parallel sixths (G and A below the melody).
- I think the C in the last measure might be nicer in the right hand. Up to you though.
When I first arranged this, I couldn't find a way to include the new voice in a way that didn't sound off to me, so I just decided to leave it. m32 and 37 have been fixed. I also adjusted m19-20 a bit: I removed the restrike on the chord and added in the needlessly missing marimba notes. There was no need to have these certain notes replayed or missing, it was just laziness on my part.

Quote from: Libera on October 06, 2019, 12:40:43 PMStatic - Saya no Uta - SABBATH
In addition to Latios' feedback:
-Is there any reason to not to include the A on beat 3 in bars 20 and 28?  I'd suggest doing so, since there's nothing else happening there on the sheet at the moment.
-Perhaps you could make better use of the second page?  Either by going for a 4/5 distribution rather than 5/4, or by just spreading out the four systems on page 2 a bit more evenly.
-Steam calls this 'The Song of Saya' and I thought we only used romanicised titles if there was no official English name?
-Could we have the left margin a bit bigger, please? :P
Didn't see your post because I was typing this one, oops. The m19, 20, 27, 28 thing has been fixed like I said above. Everything else has been taken care of.

Quote from: Latios212 on October 05, 2019, 06:53:29 PMStatic - Kirby Mass Attack - Vast Darkness
- https
- In m. 12 I would suggest flipping the layer 3 half note down to make more room between it and the rests above (there's sufficient space below it)
- I think it would be cool to try and capture that weird descending line in the last measure. If it doesn't work well though that's fine.
First 2 things have been fixed (also adjusted some of the rest placements). I was thinking about that weird line, but no matter how I wrote it, it didn't sound very good to me. I think I'd just like to keep things simple with this one.

All of these things above have been replaced in the DB folder.

Libera

Approved!
Latios212 - Octopath Traveler - Requiem for the Fallen
Approved!

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on October 05, 2019, 08:01:07 PMLevi - Super Mario 3D Land - Castle
- m. 2: playback seems to be working fine but I think visually we want a natural sign on the trill to indicate the E is alternating with Fn not F#
- I think you could be more clear with the timing here. It's not clear how much of a rest you want between m. 2 and 3 as written. You could make a longer bar and show some rests
- Beat 5 of m. 7 sounds more like it should be a C-Fn dyad with a sharp mordent on it rather than a grace note with two dyads.
- Similar for m. 11 but instead of a mordent it sounds like the melody goes A-C-A real quick... I can suggest how to write this out if you like

- m. 4 - don't think that tie should be there
- I'd suggest shortening the last system or distributing things a bit differently so it isn't so spaced out at the end (something along the lines of making the first and last system have 4 measures, perhaps)

- I did some wizardry, how does that look?
- I can just un-hide the quarter rests and add fermatas to them. Would that work?
- more wizardry; does that look proper? Or is the sharp on the wrong side?
- gave it a shot, hope that's what you wanted
- gotcha, will do that

- point made, tied note gone
- I like how the systems are distributed, but I agree that the last one is a bit stretched out. I moved it back about a third of the way, is that better?

Quote from: LeviR.star on October 04, 2019, 09:23:32 PMFile within my folder has been updated.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Quote from: Static on October 06, 2019, 01:36:02 PM
Quote from: Latios212 on October 05, 2019, 06:53:29 PMStatic - Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II - Death Match
I don't hear m17-18 like that, but I'm fine writing it either way. I'm just gonna leave it as is for now.
The rest looks good. Approved, but would like another take on this by whoever checks it next

Static - Kirby Mass Attack - Vast Darkness
have an approve

Quote from: Libera on October 06, 2019, 01:44:56 PMStatic - Saya no Uta - SABBATH
Approved!
have the accept too

Quote from: Latios212 on October 05, 2019, 08:01:07 PMLevi - Super Mario 3D Land - Castle
Quote from: LeviR.star on October 06, 2019, 01:53:48 PM- I did some wizardry, how does that look?
- I can just un-hide the quarter rests and add fermatas to them. Would that work?
- more wizardry; does that look proper? Or is the sharp on the wrong side?
- gave it a shot, hope that's what you wanted
- gotcha, will do that
Regarding m. 2: looks good but you have 4 beats in a 3/4 measure now. Either adjust the note durations or time signature to match.
Regarding m. 7: move the mordent above the dyad instead.
Regarding m. 11: I'd suggest 32nds (plus a dotted eighth) instead, as the figure is a bit faster than 16ths.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on October 06, 2019, 02:10:37 PMRegarding m. 2: looks good but you have 4 beats in a 3/4 measure now. Either adjust the note durations or time signature to match.
Regarding m. 7: move the mordent above the dyad instead.
Regarding m. 11: I'd suggest 32nds (plus a dotted eighth) instead, as the figure is a bit faster than 16ths.

Done, done, and done. Updated, too.

Latios212

Levi - Super Mario 3D Land - Castle
Quote from: LeviR.star on October 06, 2019, 02:18:48 PMDone, done, and done. Updated, too.
Awesome, approved!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle