[MUL] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - "Servant of the Sacred Spring" by Th3Gavst3r

Started by Zeta, October 09, 2019, 06:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Servant of the Sacred Spring
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Th3Gavst3r

[attachment deleted by admin]

Th3Gavst3r

Let me know what you think of the title, because literally every source I found uses something different.
The official title is 聖なる泉の使い -> Google translate -> Holy Spring Messenger
VGMBD calls it "Servant of the Sacred Spring"
But I'd google search for "Dragon."
So here we are. The author of that YouTube video seems to have the same conclusion :P

Libera

Generally looks pretty good.  It sounds like you're missing some notes in the melody in bars 5 and 11 though (just restrikes).  In bar 5 it sounds like there should be another restrike on beat 5 and in bar 11 on beat 4.5.  You could also try to put in the low bells(?) on beat 1 in bar 9, it's quite striking in the original.

Also, regarding the name, I don't know if there was a source that we used previously for all of the BotW names, but VGMDB is usually pretty good.  I'd personally just stick with 'Servant of the Sacred Spring' here, for that reason.

Th3Gavst3r

Added the restrikes and changed the name.
Also spent a looong time trying to get a good approximation of the bell's really rich harmonics. Let me know what you think

Libera

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on October 21, 2019, 06:20:55 PMAlso spent a looong time trying to get a good approximation of the bell's really rich harmonics. Let me know what you think

Hmm, I think it might be better an octave higher as it sounds a bit too muddy at that register in my opinion.  Also that chord is quite hard to play with your left hand, unless you're planning on rolling it?  You could try substituting the top for a Bb perhaps.  I think that ends up sounding pretty good.

Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

Th3Gavst3r

I definitely think the middle note should be an Ab instead of a Bb. Bb forms a Bb major triad in the top, which sounds much too triumphant and perfect to me.
From what I hear, the most accurate representation of the dominant overtones would look like this:

The F can't be played so it can move down an octave, and while the top D/Eb can be played with some angling of the thumb, that minor second is only there because that particular overtone is imperfectly pitched and clashes with the root, which is more easily accomplished using just the D. So I went with this chord:

I think you're right about the octave though. The main reason I left the Ab overtone out before was because it sounded even muddier :P

Latios212

I'll start this off by saying that hearing these kinds of things is really not my area of expertise, so feel free to disagree. I can't really give you a definitive answer on what notes are "there", and I'm not sure how much help a technical analysis would be here either. But speaking purely from a performance standpoint, that chord you wrote with the A flat really just sounds overly muddy to me on piano whereas substituting it with the B flat makes the chord sound pretty rich and sonorous. The B flat serves to reinforce the E flat bass while the A flat clashes with the D natural above by forming a tritone. I don't particularly strongly hear any dissonant pitches in the original so my suggestion would just be to create the kind of rich texture I mentioned above. I think this may be one of those times it's better to just try playing it on the piano to see what sounds good. Of course, you may disagree for that same reason of preferring the sound of your chord, so I'll leave that up to you.

Anyway, I approve of this sheet!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Th3Gavst3r

I think I may have found a slightly better chord after all. What I thought was a detuned Eb overtone on top of the chord might be mostly the D from the erhu in the prior measure clashing with what's closer to an Eb from the bell. Changing the D to an Eb removes a lot of the dissonance and comes closer to the hollow and open timbre of the bell, without conforming too closely to a standard melodic chord.
Spoiler
[close]
At least I think it does. I'm gonna sleep on it. :P I'm satisfied with this iteration if you guys are

Libera

I think that certainly works better than what you had before and removes the dissonant tritone.  I think these sorts of things always take a bit of iteration and there are clearly lots of options you could go with.  Thanks for giving some extra time to think about it!  I think I'll sign off on this now.

Zeta