News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[PSVita] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - "Spiritual Boy" by Samusthedude

Started by Zeta, December 19, 2020, 09:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Console: PlayStation Vita
Title: Spiritual Boy
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Samusthedude

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

Nice piece!

First thing - I would highly recommend against using an 8va over the entire sheet. Most of the piece is perfectly within normal writing range and the way it's written now has many of the notes on the top staff written below the staff, which is awkward to read because it looks like it's close to or interfering with the left hand part when it isn't. You really only need an 8va at the beginning and m. 13-21.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Samusthedude

Latios212

Cool! This looks pretty good, but I'm hearing some notes off as well as seeing a couple of places we can make it look a bit nicer:

- I could recommend reworking the measure distribution a bit to make the spacing more even - the first system in particular is quite squished. You could try something like this, adjusting 8va lines and the like as you go:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
- m. 4 (and everywhere like it) beat 3.5 should be Bb instead of A.
- The ascent at the end of m. 21 should go G-A-Bb-C
- Melody in m. 11 beat 2.25 should be D instead of C
- m. 22 beat 1 RH should have A instead of Bb under the D. Under the E in the same measure should be G and C. Same comments for m. 24, although I don't hear the C underneath the E this time.
- Harmony underneath the melody in m. 25 should be A's instead of D's
- For m. 26-30 I think the C octaves would be better with G's included as well
- 26 RH should have C (instead of E) underneath the melody notes, as should 28. The E in m. 29 as well.
- Make sure your dynamics in m. 30-end - some are higher/lower, more to the left/right, etc.
- Last note of m. 36 should be B instead of C. So should the C in the chord
- For the chord in m. 38, I'm hearing an F above the Bb in the left hand in addition to the Bb, and for the right hand I'm only hearing the top D and an A below it.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Samusthedude

Thanks for the feedback, and for picking up the things I couldn't quite hear lol. Made the changes.

Latios212

You're welcome! If you haven't tried it yet, I'd recommend using AudioStretch to be sure you have all the notes right.

Anyway, one last thing - remove the courtesy natural on the C in m. 22 (since there's no C# in the previous measure now). That's it from me :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

This looks very nice, just a few things from me.

-Have you considered incorporating the synth at all, especially in 14-21 where it does some cool harmonies?  Might be an idea.
-For the key signature in bars 1-3 and 30-40, I don't think it's right.  I think it'd make far more sense written in A minor (no sharps/flats): the raised sixth (F#) is like dorian and also don't always appear, also the C#s feel like they're being borrowed from the parallel major or something like that, rather than part of the normal tonality.  Furthermore, nothing about this suggests Bm or D to me at all since both of these sections start on an Am chord.  The flat 2 chord (Bb) is also a very common addition to Am.
-The piano sounds like it plays an A on beat 2 of bar 12 after the top F.

Samusthedude

Good call for the synth. I'm still not super confident not just doing straight transcriptions lol but I have it a shot. Tried to fill in the spaces with some of the synth pads. Made the other changes too

Libera

Sorry for the wait on this...

This is what I meant in bar 12:
Spoiler
[close]

This is perhaps more accurate for 14+ (similarly for the later bars):
Spoiler
[close]

Other than that, some of your dynamics/articulations are placed a bit dangerously and should be adjusted.  Like the roll marking in bar 1 (too close to the barline), in bar 3 (first too far from the notes, second too close) and the dynamics in bars 30-35 aren't quite aligned vertically, but more importantly are too close to the barlines in many cases.  Some of these articulations look like they're off because of v26 but the ones I mentioned still look like this in the pdf.

Libera

Samusthedude

Sorry for the long wait. Life gets like that sometimes lol.
Finally committed the changes

Libera

Quote from: Samusthedude on May 18, 2021, 11:59:50 AMSorry for the long wait. Life gets like that sometimes lol.
Finally committed the changes

No worries at all.

A few tiny things that are still left (hopefully these are the last...):

-This is nitpicky, but bar 13 should look like this
Spoiler
[close]
or you can get rid of tie on the melody An in the previous bar.  At the moment the tie trails with no end.
-Time to impersonate msf: in general I think the 8vas should start a little more to the left for clarity, particularly the one in bar 39.
-The accent on beat 3 of bar 19 is inside the 8va.  You should either move the 8va up (this will require redistributing the systems on that page) or if that's too much of a pain you could maybe flip that one note back down (although that's probably not the most notationally correct).
-The roll marking in bar 36 is inside the treble clef, so move it to the right.
-The composer/arranger info is actually slightly misaligned from the margin.

The rest I think are v26 issues, so I should be able to fix that afterwards.  Looking forward to getting this finished!

Static

One nitpicky thing from me: we try to go by the original console a game was released on, and this game was actually released only on PSVita a year before being ported to PS4. Other examples on site include Resident Evil 4 being listed as GC only and Sonic Adventure 1-2 being listed as DC only, despite being ported to other consoles in following years.