News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

[Wii] Super Mario Galaxy - "Super Mario 2007 (Toy Time Galaxy)" by XiaoMigros

Started by Zeta, January 12, 2021, 03:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario Galaxy
Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: Super Mario 2007 (Toy Time Galaxy)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: XiaoMigros

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

XiaoMigros

I've got loads more sheets I plan on editing & transferring from my MuseScore account, even if I can only do two a month.
Here's the source video I used to make this:

Static

Before Mael checks this one, I just want to point out (in case anyone forgets) that the official name for this track, according to the Platinum Soundtrack (originally for Club Nintendo members, now available in 3D All-Stars) is "Super Mario 2007".

XiaoMigros

Really? I didn't know that. I'll leave it as is for now until the updaters settle on something because it's probably known as Toy Time Galaxy to most people.

LeviR.star

Quote from: XiaoMigros on January 15, 2021, 07:07:09 PMReally? I didn't know that. I'll leave it as is for now until the updaters settle on something because it's probably known as Toy Time Galaxy to most people.

It's hard, deciding between official names and tracks people would definitely know them by.

That's the only major struggle with Super Mario Galaxy sheets, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

XiaoMigros

I usually go with the names GiIvaSunner has in their playlists as that's how the tracks will most commonly be known.

Static

Quote from: XiaoMigros on January 16, 2021, 02:04:46 AMI usually go with the names GiIvaSunner has in their playlists as that's how the tracks will most commonly be known.
We usually try to stick with official source information if it exists; SilvaGunner doesn't always follow official titles.

If a track is also known by a different but common alternate title, that would be good to put in parentheses (i.e. Melty Molten Galaxy (Hell Prominence)). However, this track is known by Super Mario 2007 on both the JP and NA/EU album. Personally, I don't think it would be that hard to find as just that, but if you must include tbe galaxy name I'd recommend titling it as msf suggested, with Toy Time Galaxy in parentheses.

XiaoMigros

That's true, SiIva has made some mistakes in the past. I'll take msf's advice and add the galaxy name in parentheses.
You cannot view this attachment.

Maelstrom

This is what I hear for m1-2

LH:
-m9 and similar - I hear the E on b2.5 as a quarter (e.g. tied to a 2nd 8th).
-m10 and similar - I hear a Db as the last note. 
-m25 and similar - I hear b2 and 2.5 as a Eb and Bb respectively. Also, b4.5 is a quarter (tied to 8th in the next measure)
m36 and similar - I hear a G on b4

-m40 should look like m36
-m41 - b1 (the f#) is a quarter, and b2 is the A. No C here. b3.5 is also an A
-m42 - b3.5 is a F# and b4.5 is a D#. Spell those how you want.
No staccatons on b1 of m35/37/39

RH:
m35-end - I hear a harmony pretty strongly for this here, it's mostly a 3rd below what you have written. 
Final 2 measures look like the first 2.

I made the changes, take a look at this file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vgwkm8ecqa4n7g/Toy%20Time%20Galaxy.mus?dl=1

XiaoMigros

I agree with everything you pointed out (b3-4 in m42 sounds odd but I'm pretty sure you got it right).
Some other things came to my attention that I changed:

-grace note in m2

-grace note in m42

- I changed the note lengths of b1 in m35/37/39 to match the pattern laid out in m3
- made b1 and b2.5 in m25 and m33 legato
- changed b4 in m22/m30 from a G2 quarter note to two C3 eigths

I'm not 100% sure about the grace note in m42 but the way it was before it felt like it was lacking something

XiaoMigros

I've also updated it to include the second half of the track, which I missed.

mastersuperfan

This is really good! Sounds great on playback, although I might double-check the notes later tonight just to be sure.

Here are updated files with proper formatted. I also changed the measure distribution to to be 4 per system instead of 5 per system because it shows the phrasing better that way. (plus slight changes to dynamic and 8va positioning). Let me know if those files look good on your end! (The articulations might look weird in your Finale because I use v26, which has some bugs when importing into older versions. Someone else can fix this at the end.)

Other changes that you might consider:
- Consider not beaming eighth notes in groups of three (e.g. m20 and similar) but rather only beaming the last two together in these cases. It's not conventional, and also some people don't like it because they can be confused for triplets. If you want to make this change, let me know and I can do it automatically for you with full Finale.
- For m51-58, you might consider omitting the RH harmonies. Not only does the melody in the original not actually have thirds under it (so it wouldn't sound out-of-place if you removed them), but it would distinguish m51-58 from m59-66 to give the sheet more variety and progression.

There was something else I wanted to say but I forgot. I'll edit this post if I remember it.

Let me know if you have questions! I'll take a closer look at the notes later tonight.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

XiaoMigros

Thanks for having a look at it!
I normally have 4 measures per line but in this instance I thought it looked a little spaced out, but I'll go with your advice here.
As for beaming into groups of 3, that was MuseScore's default (though I agree it's odd) grouping and you can go ahead and fix that.
Concerning m51-58 I see your point, originally I had planned to somehow merge the two voices that play but scrapped that idea after, well, it not working. I'm pretty sure it plays the same stuff as when we heard that pattern earlier but for progression's sake (which, I agree, is lacking) leaving out the harmonies sounds ok to me too.

I did have one question, and that's whether extending the beams over rests would make sense in some places. Not any place in particular but I thought it might make the sheet appear a bit smoother.
If there's anything else I'll get back to you tomorrow, it's getting pretty late in my timezone.

mastersuperfan

HERE are files with the further following updates after checking the notes more carefully:
- Fixed the beaming. (no beaming in threes, no beaming over rests)
- The chords in m1 RH don't have C's in them, as far as I can tell. However, they do have F's. Also changed the A to an F on beat 3.5.
- m2 RH Eb should be written as a D# instead.
- m41 and m73 are actually different from m1, surprisingly... They are as you have them written, except I also hear an E on beat 3.5 which I added.
- m42 and m74 RH beat 1 chords have D# instead of E (unlike m2, which does have an E).
- Changed m12 RH harmonies from sixths to thirds (and for equivalent measures). The harmonies are, in fact, different from the original SMB1 ground theme :P
- Changed m13 RH harmonies.
- Changed m20/m24/28/m32 RH harmonies (they should all be thirds).
- m25/m33 RH sound like thirds to me. m26/m34 RH is a fourth.
- Added grace notes to m42 and m74 RH beat 1. Also added slurs to the grace notes.
- Lowered m22 and m30 LH beat 4.5 down an octave to mimic the octave jump in the original track.
- Changed m34 LH beat 2.5 from F to E and beat 3 from E to C.
- Changed the eighth note run at the end of m42 LH to match the original.
- Changed m51/m55/m59/m63 LH beat 2 from a C to an E.
- Lowered m57/m65 LH beats 4-4.5 down an octave.

Take a look at the files and the changes I made and let me know what you think. If everything sounds good, or after you make some more edits if you want, reupload those files to the OP through the NSM Panel, and I'll be happy to approve.

By the way, for future reference, AudioStretch is super useful for slowing down audio and transposing pitches up/down to pick out specific notes. If you haven't already been using it, take a look here: https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/forum/index.php?topic=11175.msg417379#msg417379.