Series: Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons
Game: Harvest Moon
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Town Theme
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Code_Name_Geek

[attachment deleted by admin]

Code_Name_Geek

There are some really dissonant/out-of tune notes at the end of the loop so I used a combination of guesswork and cross-referencing with the Gameboy arrangement of the same track to get those pitches.

Static

• Missing dynamics
  • In the first system, some of those staccatos are touching the flags of the preceding 8th notes. You could respace specific notes, but I'd actually recommend spacing the entire sheet with 3 measures per system. There's exactly 24 measures so it works out nicely, and it helps fill out the 2nd page while also giving the notes more room to breathe.
  • m2/15 LH: There's a random tie here that I don't think you intended.
  • m4 RH: There's also a random tie here.
  • When Layer 2 goes from An to A#, you can use Gx since it goes chromatically upwards. But, it's probably easier to read as written, so I'd be fine leaving it.
  • m9 RH beat 2 goes up to A# like in the previous bars.
  • m21 RH: The grace notes are chromatic like in m22. First pair should be An-A#, second is A#-An.
  • m22 RH beat 3: The second pair of grace notes hear is actually B#-Bn. It goes down before going up to C#.
  • m22 RH: All the A#s should be A naturals.
  • Those detuned notes in m23 RH sound weird but I think what you have in the sheet works.
  • Maybe make the whole note in m24 RH a half note since it's restruck later anyway.

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Static on September 26, 2021, 01:07:38 PM
  • In the first system, some of those staccatos are touching the flags of the preceding 8th notes. You could respace specific notes, but I'd actually recommend spacing the entire sheet with 3 measures per system. There's exactly 24 measures so it works out nicely, and it helps fill out the 2nd page while also giving the notes more room to breathe.
Ah yeah, that looks better.

• When Layer 2 goes from An to A#, you can use Gx since it goes chromatically upwards. But, it's probably easier to read as written, so I'd be fine leaving it.
I prefer to leave this one because I hear this as a bluesy minor 3rd to major 3rd thing and I think this communicates that better (along with being easier to read).

• m21 RH: The grace notes are chromatic like in m22. First pair should be An-A#, second is A#-An.
  • m22 RH beat 3: The second pair of grace notes hear is actually B#-Bn. It goes down before going up to C#.
Thanks in particular for this! I had trouble with those.

• Those detuned notes in m23 RH sound weird but I think what you have in the sheet works.
Yeahhhh, this is a really strange part. It's hard to tell whether it's a compositional choice or a programming mistake, but since this is for piano there was no way to adapt that exactly anyways.

• Maybe make the whole note in m24 RH a half note since it's restruck later anyway.
My only objection here is that I think it looks cleaner without a layer 1 half rest on beat 3. Is this a spot where that rest could be hidden without too much confusion? If so, I'm down to change it.

All the other little mistakes were also fixed. Thanks for the feedback!

Static

Looks good, but now your A#s are colliding with the upper layer in the first system - you can use the note position tool to adjust those.
Also, the staccato in m22 beat 2 should be moved up (between the first 2 lines of the top staff); it's touching the beam currently.

For m24, yes you could hide the half rest there. You can leave it as a whole note too though, it's fine either way.

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Static on October 07, 2021, 02:31:21 PMLooks good, but now your A#s are colliding with the upper layer in the first system - you can use the note position tool to adjust those.
Also, the staccato in m22 beat 2 should be moved up (between the first 2 lines of the top staff); it's touching the beam currently.
Oops, fixed.

Quote from: Static on October 07, 2021, 02:31:21 PMFor m24, yes you could hide the half rest there. You can leave it as a whole note too though, it's fine either way.
After some thought, decided to keep this the way it is. Worth considering though, thanks!

Static

Looks good, I approve

Just make sure you remove those parentheses around the A natural in m22 since it's already not part of the keysig (and move that staccato before it up a bit).

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Static on October 11, 2021, 06:01:16 PMJust make sure you remove those parentheses around the A natural in m22 since it's already not part of the keysig (and move that staccato before it up a bit).
Done and done.

Libera

Looks great to me in general, in spite of painfully out of tune notes at the end... 

The only thing I noticed is that the second layer in bar 19 doesn't quite do what it did before, it sounds like it goes to F# on beat 3.5 and then another F# on beat 4.5, rather than the thing it does in bar 15.  Also I think the tempo direction + swing direction could be a bit closer to the staff, although that's pretty minor.

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Libera on November 14, 2021, 12:57:17 PMThe only thing I noticed is that the second layer in bar 19 doesn't quite do what it did before, it sounds like it goes to F# on beat 3.5 and then another F# on beat 4.5, rather than the thing it does in bar 15.  Also I think the tempo direction + swing direction could be a bit closer to the staff, although that's pretty minor.
You're absolutely right about the second layer, I had that written in the transcription I did but I must have missed it in the arrangement. Fixed, as well as the tempo direction. Thanks!

Libera

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on December 05, 2021, 07:41:59 PMYou're absolutely right about the second layer, I had that written in the transcription I did but I must have missed it in the arrangement. Fixed, as well as the tempo direction. Thanks!

Did you accidentally leave the A there on beat 3.5?  You wrote in the F# which is what I think is playing there now.

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Libera on December 09, 2021, 01:48:36 PMDid you accidentally leave the A there on beat 3.5?  You wrote in the F# which is what I think is playing there now.
Ah yeah that was a mistake, my bad. Fixed now.

Libera

Urgh I can't seem to reset these accidentals in a way that doesn't screw up how the staccatos interact with the layers on the musx.  I guess since the pdf is fine I'll just accept it.  It's not like we can make these things 100% compatible anyway...

Nice work anyway, accepted!

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot