Jake_Luigi's Halloween Sheet

Started by Jake_Luigi, October 05, 2021, 02:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake_Luigi

it's a better sheet this time, i swear
it is very spoopy

[NES] - Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
MUS

Please let me know if some of the chromatic runs need to be fixed accidental-wise

Zeila

This is another cool Castlevania piece :>
  • I typically see tempo text before the metronome marking
  • m4 I think it would look better if the 8va encompassed all of beat 4 instead of just the last 3 notes, but if you disagree you can leave it like that
  • m6/14 RH the sixteenth note groups weren't beamed together, but it automatically does that in newer finale versions when clicking on the inner rests
  • m11-12 RH I think you could spice things up by adding accents here where applicable
  • m12 RH beat 4.5 I think the Ab sounds like an A
  • m12 LH beat 2 it feels like the second C either isn't as pronounced or isn't there at all; also it sounds like beats 4.25 and 4.5 should be swapped (so it goes G > En > C instead of En > G > C)
  • m14 RH is there a reason why the C#/F# dyad was written as an eighth note when sixteenth notes were used everywhere else for that kind of figure? It sounds like the note lengths are the same to me
  • m15 beat 3 you can make the tied sixteenth/eighth notes a dotted eighth note if you'd like. Also, I think Db would be better than C# on beat 1 since these look like sus2 chords. Maybe Cb/Db/Gb could be used instead of B/C#/F# on beat 2.5 too, but idk about that one
  • m17 it sounds like the gliss starts on beat 4.25 instead of 4.5
  • m18 I think it might be easier for the RH to take the Eb's instead of the LH
  • m18/19 RH it sounds like there are extra G's playing at the same time as the low G's in the LH, as well as one on beat 4.75 of m18
  • m19 since the triplets are going up chromatically, I think it would be better to write the flats as sharps (with the exception of the Eb) so that they're all written as thirds

Jake_Luigi

Sorry this took so long, I'm still unable to fix some of the small things (will note below).
QuoteI typically see tempo text before the metronome marking
... i think i've been submitting this incorrectly every time... oops

Quotem4 I think it would look better if the 8va encompassed all of beat 4 instead of just the last 3 notes, but if you disagree you can leave it like that
I agree that it would look nicer, but i can't get it to look nice without it affecting beat 4

Quotem6/14 RH the sixteenth note groups weren't beamed together, but it automatically does that in newer finale versions when clicking on the inner rests
throws chair heckin' finale i swear

Quotem11-12 RH I think you could spice things up by adding accents here where applicable
Wasn't entirely sure what to do here, added some mercatos (i think) to accent the notes that are louder

Quotem12 RH beat 4.5 I think the Ab sounds like an A
m12 LH beat 2 it feels like the second C either isn't as pronounced or isn't there at all; also it sounds like beats 4.25 and 4.5 should be swapped (so it goes G > En > C instead of En > G > C)
Good catches!

Quotem14 RH is there a reason why the C#/F# dyad was written as an eighth note when sixteenth notes were used everywhere else for that kind of figure? It sounds like the note lengths are the same to me
They are, i think i did that without thinking lol

Quotem15 beat 3 you can make the tied sixteenth/eighth notes a dotted eighth note if you'd like. Also, I think Db would be better than C# on beat 1 since these look like sus2 chords. Maybe Cb/Db/Gb could be used instead of B/C#/F# on beat 2.5 too, but idk about that one
Ah, gotcha. Fixed.

Quotem17 it sounds like the gliss starts on beat 4.25 instead of 4.5
oops, fixed

Quotem18 I think it might be easier for the RH to take the Eb's instead of the LH
m18/19 RH it sounds like there are extra G's playing at the same time as the low G's in the LH, as well as one on beat 4.75 of m18
m19 since the triplets are going up chromatically, I think it would be better to write the flats as sharps (with the exception of the Eb) so that they're all written as thirds
Fixed

Thanks again Zeila!

As for things I know need fixing:
Ties: Page 2 ties are flipped, MuseScore ties do this weird thing upon conversion and stay weird in the .mus. Trying to fix this in Notepad results in other things going awry (such as beaming).
Beaming: While beamed correctly in MuseScore, some measures are beamed but the second line is missing in the 16th note groupings. Not sure why this occurs. Fixing in Notepad has same results as above.
Echo Notes: The top and bottom notes in the chord are different sizes. Fixing in Notepad has same effects as mentioned.
Title Section: CVIII has a lot of composers. Take a guess at what trying to fix the spacing does... Also, expression note is overlapping.
Glissando: Appears as a straight line.

Hopefully the above issues will be resolved shortly, but until then, I'll upload what I have so far. Please let me know if there's anything else to keep an eye out for while I'm fixing these issues. Thanks again everyone!

Latios212

Made formatting fixes to the file!

Quote from: Jake_Luigi on October 12, 2021, 05:44:17 PMGlissando: Appears as a straight line.
I've changed this to a wavy line but think about how you want this to actually be played on a piano. A dyad-to-dyad glissando is not friendly, especially when it involves both black and white notes.

Other stuff (these changes are small so I can just edit them in real quick if you like) -
- Would recommend a staccato quarter note instead of 16th + 16th rest in m. 12 beat 2.5, so that beat 3 isn't somewhat obscured between two 16th rests
- You could use a dotted half note in m. 13 instead of quarter tied to half. Same for 16
Quote from: Zeila on October 05, 2021, 11:06:16 PMm18/19 RH it sounds like there are extra G's playing at the same time as the low G's in the LH, as well as one on beat 4.75 of m18
I think you have the voices a bit confused here. The left hand shouldn't be playing octaves - you have 4 notes at a time when this is a NES track with up to 3 voices. The lower octaves shouldn't be present when the left hand is playing the upper G's while the RH is playing dyads. Also, the last G 16th note in m. 18 is supposed to be one octave higher, in the right hand.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeila

Quote from: Latios212 on October 19, 2021, 05:43:14 PM
Quote from: Zeila on October 05, 2021, 11:06:16 PMm18/19 RH it sounds like there are extra G's playing at the same time as the low G's in the LH, as well as one on beat 4.75 of m18
I think you have the voices a bit confused here. The left hand shouldn't be playing octaves - you have 4 notes at a time when this is a NES track with up to 3 voices. The lower octaves shouldn't be present when the left hand is playing the upper G's while the RH is playing dyads. Also, the last G 16th note in m. 18 is supposed to be one octave higher, in the right hand.
Sorry I should've been more clear, I meant that the upper G's that the RH were playing also seemed to play without the middle voice at the same time as the low G's of the LH (so every other sixteenth group of two). And yes I was referring to the right hand with the last G too. This is what I hear (with the first half of m19 the same):
You cannot view this attachment.
Of course I could still be wrong though, but hopefully this makes more sense

Latios212

Yep, I think what you have there is right Zeila!

I just had a quick chat with Jake to get that and the other minor things I mentioned above updated in the Finale file. I'll approve now, this looks good! :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Very nice, looks very good already! Notes are all correct!

-m4: Maybe you could cross-staff the first G in the R.H. (beat 2.25) to the L.H., for better playability: the R.H. has a lot of big jumps, which is quite tricky to play at this speed and may sound disconnected because the hand has to move positions a lot. By moving the G to the L.H., the R.H. just has to move once.
-m7: I think the 3rd and 4th sixteenth notes in the R.H. should be small notes too right? The first two are louder than the other six.
-m11: Maybe you could already change the last Bn (beat 4.75) to a Cb? Within the bar the Bn is fine too, but I personally find it a bit weird to see the Bn and Cb (at the start of m12) right next to each other as if they're different notes. Compare this:
to this:
-m12: I hear just a staccato 8th note C on beat 2 of the L.H. (instead of two 16ths)
-m17: Maybe it makes sense to change the ending note of the glissando to Eb in m18 instead of the G: if you glissando to the G, you don't have time to move your hand back to the position to play the Eb, but you do if you gliss to the Eb (or rather, the D before the Eb).

Jake_Luigi

QuoteVery nice, looks very good already! Notes are all correct!
Thank goodness...

Quote-m4: Maybe you could cross-staff the first G in the R.H. (beat 2.25) to the L.H., for better playability: the R.H. has a lot of big jumps, which is quite tricky to play at this speed and may sound disconnected because the hand has to move positions a lot. By moving the G to the L.H., the R.H. just has to move once.
This was the one thing I couldn't do, will upload a fixed version if i get someone to help me before you beat me to it

Quote-m7: I think the 3rd and 4th sixteenth notes in the R.H. should be small notes too right? The first two are louder than the other six.
-m11: Maybe you could already change the last Bn (beat 4.75) to a Cb?
-m12: I hear just a staccato 8th note C on beat 2 of the L.H. (instead of two 16ths)
-m17: Maybe it makes sense to change the ending note of the glissando to Eb in m18 instead of the G: if you glissando to the G, you don't have time to move your hand back to the position to play the Eb, but you do if you gliss to the Eb (or rather, the D before the Eb).
All fixed otherwise, new .mus file is in original post, not Dropbox

Thanks Bloop!

This post would have more personality like usual, but oh man i am not having the best day health-wise

Bloop

Great! I did the cross-staff thing for you and edited the files in the dropbox, which will now be moved to the accept folder! You cannot view this attachment.