News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[SNES] Mega Man 7 - "Dr. Wily Stage 4" by LeviR.star

Started by Zeta, April 30, 2022, 03:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Mega Man
Game: Mega Man 7
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Dr. Wily Stage 4
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

[attachment deleted by admin]

LeviR.star

First Mega Man 7 submission, also a re-write of an older sheet. Some things to point out here:

- accompanying chords have been dropped down an octave, so harmony's a little muddy right now. Shifting the left hand part up would require the same of the right hand, and I'm not so sure I want to do that
- from m. 9 to 16, I've used the arpeggios for the left hand part, swapping out several downbeats for the root of the chord
     - and on this note, I had to change the direction of the fast sixteenths in m. 12 to keep them from overlapping with the right hand part
- two layers of notes means two layers of rests! And for this reason, they're quite messy right now. Gonna need some help organizing them
- many YouTube uploads of this (such as the one here) will try to give these songs titles, but I'm still using the Rockman Sound Box titles from VGMDB as reference
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Static

Notes and stuff all look great, so I'm just gonna address those points you mentioned:
  • m1/5 LH: The rests here should look like m3/7.
  • If you want the LH to be less muddy, maybe just change the upper layer notes. Not much harmonic information will be lost since the melody outlines the chords anyway:
    Spoiler
    [close]
  • Going off the above, the countermelody in m17 would probably work better in the RH in its original octave. The few notes that are out of range (like end of m18 going into m19) could be played by the LH using the pedal or rolling the notes slightly. (or played as-is if you have large hands, since the largest interval here would be a 10th).
  • Maybe move the top voice at the end of m24 to the RH, or swap the inner two voices so the range is more evenly distributed across the hands:

Either way, I'd just recommend not having all 3 voices so low/in one hand.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Static on May 02, 2022, 06:22:56 PMNotes and stuff all look great, so I'm just gonna address those points you mentioned:
  • m1/5 LH: The rests here should look like m3/7.
  • If you want the LH to be less muddy, maybe just change the upper layer notes. Not much harmonic information will be lost since the melody outlines the chords anyway:
    Spoiler
    [close]
  • Going off the above, the countermelody in m17 would probably work better in the RH in its original octave. The few notes that are out of range (like end of m18 going into m19) could be played by the LH using the pedal or rolling the notes slightly. (or played as-is if you have large hands, since the largest interval here would be a 10th).
  • Maybe move the top voice at the end of m24 to the RH, or swap the inner two voices so the range is more evenly distributed across the hands:

Either way, I'd just recommend not having all 3 voices so low/in one hand.

- here, I fixed 'em. Do those look better?
- hmmm, I don't like fourths replacing thirds, but I have to admit, they work better here, so it shall be done
- I did some of my own voice leading to accommodate the larger intervals and voice crossing, how's that?
- I went and revised the whole last measure, taking your suggestion into account

New files are up!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Static

Latios212

Just two things from me :)

- Where is the F# is coming from in the lower layer in m. 18 beat 4? The original pitch is an A, bridging the gap between the B on beat 1 and G in the next measure.
- The three eighth note dyads at the end of the last measure are quite awkward to play. Your choice, but I would suggest getting rid of the upper ones to focus on the bassline.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2022, 07:21:02 PM- Where is the F# is coming from in the lower layer in m. 18 beat 4? The original pitch is an A, bridging the gap between the B on beat 1 and G in the next measure.
- The three eighth note dyads at the end of the last measure are quite awkward to play. Your choice, but I would suggest getting rid of the upper ones to focus on the bassline.

- I thought F-sharp would make a good leading tone into the G, as I didn't want to make the lower voice cross over the melody before it continued, but if it feels unnecessary, I'll change it to an A instead
- I'll remove both the octaves and the dyads

Files are updated.

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 08, 2022, 12:40:38 PM- I thought F-sharp would make a good leading tone into the G, as I didn't want to make the lower voice cross over the melody before it continued, but if it feels unnecessary, I'll change it to an A instead
Cool, yeah sounds good. It makes sense musically but stuck out as the only place that really deviated from the original - the A is better for the continuity of the lower voice.

I'll accept :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot