News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[GCN] The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures - "Frozen Hyrule" by LeviR.star

Started by Zeta, September 03, 2022, 04:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Frozen Hyrule
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

[attachment deleted by admin]

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Maelstrom

Not much
-A nice courtesy bracket in m25 to make it instantly obvious the LH should pick up layer 2 would be cool
-Why is there both a D.S. and forward repeat sign?
-Final LH note of m36 should be an octave lower
-Having the syncopated rhythm drop out in m34 feels anticlimactic at the song's most emotional resolution. I'd say make it like the measures right before it. I do like the decision to simplify the rhythms quite a bit to fit the difficulty of the piece, however.
-Should there be a comma after dark world in the title to make it grammatically correct.

That's it, nice job

LeviR.star

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 10, 2022, 03:54:00 PM-A nice courtesy bracket in m25 to make it instantly obvious the LH should pick up layer 2 would be cool
-Why is there both a D.S. and forward repeat sign?
-Final LH note of m36 should be an octave lower
-Having the syncopated rhythm drop out in m34 feels anticlimactic at the song's most emotional resolution. I'd say make it like the measures right before it. I do like the decision to simplify the rhythms quite a bit to fit the difficulty of the piece, however.
-Should there be a comma after dark world in the title to make it grammatically correct.

- how's that? I drew it with the line tool, hope it turned out okay
- I have no idea why, fixed it
- got it
- okay, so two things, 1.) The decision to simplify the rhythms was made to match the bass rhythm, not to match the piece's difficulty, and 2.) it's my personal opinion that the climax comes at m. 33, and at 34 the energy is winding down to transition back into the repeat. That said, I'll re-write that measure to match the pattern before it, unless there's any objection
- is that a question, or a statement? Ironically, I think your grammar's got a typo in it. I'll add another comma, how's that?

Files are updated.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Maelstrom

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 15, 2022, 03:37:44 PM- how's that? I drew it with the line tool, hope it turned out okay

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

otherwise it's great

LeviR.star

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 15, 2022, 05:47:07 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

otherwise it's great

I swear, it didn't look like that on the module.

I'll figure out how to fix it when the next batch of feedback arrives.

Maelstrom

you need to zoom in as much as physically possible when aligning stuff you manually input
or have a high res screen like me and eyes that notice crap like this\

edit: both doesnt hurt either

Bloop

Great work on this! Mostly some details left with stem directions and note suggestions:

-While I don't think there's a clearly defined rule when it's allowed to use double dotted notes, I feel like you might be overusing them a bit here. For me especially the dotted quarter notes with single 16ths left out feel a bit weird, especially with the visual part of how they fall after the single 8th note in the L.H. If you prefer keeping them, that's okay too, but just wanted to mention it.
-m4 and 36: The stems of the L.H. notes here should be flipped.
-m6: The strings keep playing the same Cm chord in this bar (with the F in the bass making it an F9 chord), so the F in the R.H. could be an Eb. The same thing happens in m12, though there's also the strings countermelody which does play an F, so you could consider adding in an Eb or just leaving it as a three note chord.
-m9-10: You could consider removing the bottom C's in the R.H. chords here. It's not necessarily unplayable, but just a bit more comfortable to play as well as keeping the chords a bit more legato. Same in m15.
-m14 and 16: The stem of the L.H. note on beat 4.5 should be flipped.
-m23: There's an additional C# below this chord in the R.H.
-m24: Also an additional C(n) below this chord in the R.H.
-m25-26: Slightly similar to m9-10, you could consider removing the G's from the strings in the R.H., so the bass can ring on a bit more. It depends on if you prefer hearing the G restruck or held during these measures.
-m32: Maybe you could add a crescendo from beat 3-4 here until a forte in m33? I feel like it's getting slightly louder, especially in the low pizzicato strings.
-m34: The F# and An from the chord in m33 aren't being held over into this measure in the original. You could either change them to Fn and G, or just leave out the chord entirely, since it cuts away at around beat 2.5-3 anyway.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Bloop on September 17, 2022, 09:07:47 AM-While I don't think there's a clearly defined rule when it's allowed to use double dotted notes, I feel like you might be overusing them a bit here. For me especially the dotted quarter notes with single 16ths left out feel a bit weird, especially with the visual part of how they fall after the single 8th note in the L.H. If you prefer keeping them, that's okay too, but just wanted to mention it.
-m4 and 36: The stems of the L.H. notes here should be flipped.
-m6: The strings keep playing the same Cm chord in this bar (with the F in the bass making it an F9 chord), so the F in the R.H. could be an Eb. The same thing happens in m12, though there's also the strings countermelody which does play an F, so you could consider adding in an Eb or just leaving it as a three note chord.
-m9-10: You could consider removing the bottom C's in the R.H. chords here. It's not necessarily unplayable, but just a bit more comfortable to play as well as keeping the chords a bit more legato. Same in m15.
-m14 and 16: The stem of the L.H. note on beat 4.5 should be flipped.
-m23: There's an additional C# below this chord in the R.H.
-m24: Also an additional C(n) below this chord in the R.H.
-m25-26: Slightly similar to m9-10, you could consider removing the G's from the strings in the R.H., so the bass can ring on a bit more. It depends on if you prefer hearing the G restruck or held during these measures.
-m32: Maybe you could add a crescendo from beat 3-4 here until a forte in m33? I feel like it's getting slightly louder, especially in the low pizzicato strings.
-m34: The F# and An from the chord in m33 aren't being held over into this measure in the original. You could either change them to Fn and G, or just leave out the chord entirely, since it cuts away at around beat 2.5-3 anyway.

- yeah, I wasn't too sure how that would look. I've removed them, do the ties look okay? Something about them seems off
- got it
- in the second comment, the natural was clashing with the newly added note, so I had to move it off to the left
- sure thing
- also got this
- thanks for catching that
- and that
- works for me
- yeah, I could be down for that. It's definitely ramping up to something
- see, for this I think it would be best to bring back what I had before, so I can get your input. What's your opinion on this new version of m. 34?

Files updated, but not ready yet.

EDIT: ^^ This means I've addressed all the points, but the one I have questions about needs attention

Bloop

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 21, 2022, 05:45:10 AM- yeah, I wasn't too sure how that would look. I've removed them, do the ties look okay? Something about them seems off
Technically they're correct, but maybe dividing them like this looks a bit more intuitive?
You cannot view this attachment.
You could consider doing this in other places too: showing the start of beat 2 and 4 and having beat 2-3 as a half note (like m7 and m18).

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 21, 2022, 05:45:10 AM- got it
Oh huh, don't know if these were like this before, but the stems of the first L.H. note in m4 and 36 should be (re)flipped upwards.

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 21, 2022, 05:45:10 AM- see, for this I think it would be best to bring back what I had before, so I can get your input. What's your opinion on this new version of m. 34?
Ah yeah, this works well too, since the bass doesn't play that syncopated rhythm anymore too. There's another G in the bass on beat 4.5 though.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Bloop on September 24, 2022, 01:47:08 AMTechnically they're correct, but maybe dividing them like this looks a bit more intuitive?
You cannot view this attachment.
You could consider doing this in other places too: showing the start of beat 2 and 4 and having beat 2-3 as a half note (like m7 and m18).
Oh huh, don't know if these were like this before, but the stems of the first L.H. note in m4 and 36 should be (re)flipped upwards.
Ah yeah, this works well too, since the bass doesn't play that syncopated rhythm anymore too. There's another G in the bass on beat 4.5 though.

Adjusted the ties so they don't clash with the dots, flipped a few more stems, added the G to beat 4.5 of the last bar, and added a lot more ties. I feel like they'll overwhelm the pages if I add any more, to be honest. Files are updated.

Bloop

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 24, 2022, 01:48:09 PMand added a lot more ties. I feel like they'll overwhelm the pages if I add any more, to be honest.
Oh but I was fine with the double dotted notes in the L.H. haha, those were actually the ones I was most okay with because of how often they appear. If you wanna keep them un-double-dotted like now, I can accept too of course, but if you preferred them having the double dots, that's okay too!

LeviR.star

Quote from: Bloop on September 25, 2022, 04:17:52 AMOh but I was fine with the double dotted notes in the L.H. haha, those were actually the ones I was most okay with because of how often they appear. If you wanna keep them un-double-dotted like now, I can accept too of course, but if you preferred them having the double dots, that's okay too!

Oh oops

Am I understanding that it would be fine if I added the double-dotted notes back to the left hand part?

Bloop

Yup! I only gave an alternate suggestion for the R.H., but the L.H. can definitely have the double dotted notes again

LeviR.star

Quote from: Bloop on September 25, 2022, 01:56:52 PMYup! I only gave an alternate suggestion for the R.H., but the L.H. can definitely have the double dotted notes again

Okay, then I've added them back in. How do the tie & rest positions look throughout the sheet? Everything fine?