News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[GEN] Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - "Hydrocity Zone Act 2" (Replacement) by Cashwarrior1

Started by Zeta, October 01, 2022, 12:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Sonic
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Console: Sega Genesis
Title: Hydrocity Zone Act 2
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Cashwarrior1

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

cashwarrior1

And now for the second act! I did make some decisions to change the bass/accompaniment for the last section because the middle voices would be too difficult to play and just having the bass would be boring, so I opted for a suggestion of rhythmic complexity and chords.

Bloop

-Throughout m1-21, any single-note C's in the L.H. like the first 3 notes in m1 should have their stems flipped.
-m1 and 5: I hear something like a Bb in the L.H. on beat 4, though it has a different sound than the sound of the actual bass.
-m1, 3, 5 and 7: I don't specifically hear the C in the R.H. on beat 2, though I'm guessing you put it in to imitate something in the total sound?
-m9 and 17: I hear Eb's instead of C's on beat 2 and 4, though weirdly enough only in these 2 measures
-m11 and 19: You can write the Gb in the R.H. on beat 3 as F# too, since it's going towards the G.
-m12 and 20: I hear this in the R.H.:
You cannot view this attachment.
-m23: The F-Gb-F in beat 3 should be an 8th triplet
-m24: I hear something else here:
-m25-40: You left out quite a lot of grace notes here, was that intentional? All grace notes here (and in the next section) should be a semitone below the note it's going to (so C# to D, F# to G, etc)
-m25 and 33: The Bn's in the L.H. should be Bb's
-m38: Maybe you could add a courtesy accidental on the Ab in the L.H. on beat 4.5, since the chord here is F major (or F7) and the player might expect this to be an An too.
-m41-53: Was there a specific reason you decided to put a few bass notes here in its original octave? It's not unplayable, but it might be easier and sound a bit more coherent to have these up an octave too (including m47-48)
-m54: The R.H. F on beat 1.5 should be on beat 2 instead.
-m55: Maybe you could add a G in the R.H. chords too? It's just a very nit-picky detail, but currently it could sound like the Eb is resolving up to the G instead of down to the D: adding the G in m55 creates a separate stationary voice while the Eb could disappear to the D.

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Bloop on November 20, 2022, 02:45:52 AM-m1, 3, 5 and 7: I don't specifically hear the C in the R.H. on beat 2, though I'm guessing you put it in to imitate something in the total sound?
I put that there because I had listened to isolated channels of the track and the bass plays a C an octave up (like how I show in m9). I didn't put cross beaming because I felt it would look cluttered..

Quote from: Bloop on November 20, 2022, 02:45:52 AM-m9 and 17: I hear Eb's instead of C's on beat 2 and 4, though weirdly enough only in these 2 measures
I'm not hearing that :/

Quote from: Bloop on November 20, 2022, 02:45:52 AM-m25-40: You left out quite a lot of grace notes here, was that intentional? All grace notes here (and in the next section) should be a semitone below the note it's going to (so C# to D, F# to G, etc)
Yeah that was intentional, I felt like at this tempo it might be too much 😅

Quote from: Bloop on November 20, 2022, 02:45:52 AM-m41-53: Was there a specific reason you decided to put a few bass notes here in its original octave? It's not unplayable, but it might be easier and sound a bit more coherent to have these up an octave too (including m47-48)
My thought is that it would feel more "climactic" but yeah moving it up would be better.

Updated!

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bloop on November 20, 2022, 02:45:52 AM-m9 and 17: I hear Eb's instead of C's on beat 2 and 4, though weirdly enough only in these 2 measures
Quote from: cashwarrior1 on November 20, 2022, 04:53:00 PMI'm not hearing that :/
thanks for reminding me how much i hate transcribing genesis stuff

Here's an isolation of the bass channel. It plays a 4-bar loop up until m22. It seems Eb is played on beats 2 and 4 every 2 measures, they just happen to be louder in the measures Bloop mentioned. Additionally, A is played on beat 2 in the alternating measures.

cashwarrior1

omg i thought they were talking about the right hand LOL

okay so I changed all the beat 4s of each first measure in the loop to Eb, but I left beat 2 on the C an octave up because I think it gets across the "slap" bass sound better and going to the Eb feels like a big leap.

Updated.

Bloop

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on November 20, 2022, 04:53:00 PMI put that there because I had listened to isolated channels of the track and the bass plays a C an octave up (like how I show in m9). I didn't put cross beaming because I felt it would look cluttered..
Ah I see, that explains it ^^ The hands crossing isn't that hard or uncommon though, so if you prefer, you could've also just kept that C in the L.H. exactly as in m9. However, listening to the isolated track Xiao posted, I agree with this:
Quote from: XiaoMigros on November 21, 2022, 07:44:11 AMIt seems Eb is played on beats 2 and 4 every 2 measures, they just happen to be louder in the measures Bloop mentioned. Additionally, A is played on beat 2 in the alternating measures.
Which means this:
The Eb's and An's on beat 2 are so quick and percussive that there's almost no time to actually hear the note, but I can still kinda hear this bassline. Make sure the C's on beat 3 have their stems flipped too

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on November 20, 2022, 04:53:00 PMYeah that was intentional, I felt like at this tempo it might be too much 😅
That makes sense yeah. All the grace notes you do have though should be a half step up (so C's to C#'s, Eb's to En's and F's to F#'s)

Everything else is good!

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bloop on November 26, 2022, 05:20:33 AMWhich means this:

This is what I hear as well (and spectrograph data implies this as well), but..

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on November 21, 2022, 01:06:56 PM[...] but I left beat 2 on the C an octave up because I think it gets across the "slap" bass sound better

.. I kinda agree with this from an arrangement pov

Bloop

Oh yeah, I forgot about that when replying! In that case, there's just the possible hand crossing thing I mentioned, and flipping the stems of the C's on beat 3 (and 2.5 if you decide to keep the C in the R.H.)

cashwarrior1

Bloop

Just noticed that in m23, the R.H. beam between beat 1.5 and 2.5 should be broken like in the rest of the sheet, but I'll approve nonetheless!

cashwarrior1

Libera

-It sounds to me like the bass plays an Eb on beat 4.5 in bar 22.
-Could we have the 8va in bar 25 start a little more over to the left, like the positioning for bars 12/20.  The 8va in 37 could also come a little away from the slur.
-I hear the bass play two Gs on beat 4 of bar 40, i.e. on beat 4.5 as well.
-The bass in bar 54 sounds like it plays two Fs on beats 1.5 and 2, so I think it'd be better for the left hand hand to have an F at the bottom rather than an Eb.
-I think the sixteenth notes are on the 'very hard' side to play of things so I think personally I'd prefer if they were more explicitly optional.

Otherwise this looks pretty solid to me. 

cashwarrior1

Libera

We had a little chat about the note on discord (decided on making the sixteenth notes small), but now that's done I shall accept!