Series: Kirby
Game: Kirby's Epic Yarn
Console: Wii
Title: Dream Land
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Rubikium

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rubikium

This is supposed to be a replacement sheet, but I can't select this music in the replacement submission form ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Libera

Quote from: Rubikium on February 22, 2023, 10:10:27 AMThis is supposed to be a replacement sheet, but I can't select this music in the replacement submission form ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry we're having a little issue with the search function at the moment.  In the meantime I've fixed this for you!

Kricketune54

- I know this is the Ripple Star Map theme from Kirby 64 rerranged for KEY, though I'm honestly not aware of the involvement of its composer(s) for this track. I know this is kind of in the weeds, but I don't think Tadashi Ikegami should be credited; I don't believe he was affiliated with this game's music at all but someone can certainly correct me if I'm wrong because I see onsite he's credited for a couple of the classic rearrangements for this game (Butterbuilding, Gourmet Race). I believe credit to Hirokazu Ando, Jun Ishikawa, and Tomoya Tomita might be the best credit choice.

- feel free to add slurs to the grace note where applicable (ex. m8, m12 LH)
- m5 system the 8va could go a little bit higher in my opinion, very close to the top F# accidental.
- m10 there's a slight ritard here, could add that on beat 2 but a small detail
- m17 LH play around with the tie tool a little, as the middle tie (for the A) is clipping through the C notehead
- m18 system could be widdened a little, the m21 dotted qaurter G in the LH almost looks like a staccato under the RH Bb here.
- On same thread I think you could raise the last system a bit so that the LH beat 3.5 A in m26 isn't so close to the stem of the D above it

Notes
- m11 LH beat 2.5 I hear an An next to the G (similar to m13 but natural)
- m12 LH beat 1 you could add an F in between the C and D, since it's technically above the D and there's a few places like m10 where this is already being done
- m15 LH beat 2.5 I hear an An next to the G (similar cluster to m16-17)
- m18 LH beat 3.0 I hear an An next to the Bb, also sounds like a roll could be added here
- m21 LH first note sounds like F on top not G
- m25 RH I hear the middle notes held for two beats, with no Ab 8th on beat 4.0. The Ab on beat 4.5 should tie into m26 to a dotted quarter note (no restrike of Ab on beat 1.5 for a quarter value)

I would suggest a crossbar 8th note like m14 for m26; the Bb in the RH on beat 2.5 technically is followed by the Dn in the LH an 8th beat later. Not inherently a problem but it might be good as far as showing how the actual descending rhythm in the original flows

Latios212

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 28, 2023, 01:50:11 PM- I know this is the Ripple Star Map theme from Kirby 64 rerranged for KEY, though I'm honestly not aware of the involvement of its composer(s) for this track. I know this is kind of in the weeds, but I don't think Tadashi Ikegami should be credited; I don't believe he was affiliated with this game's music at all but someone can certainly correct me if I'm wrong because I see onsite he's credited for a couple of the classic rearrangements for this game (Butterbuilding, Gourmet Race). I believe credit to Hirokazu Ando, Jun Ishikawa, and Tomoya Tomita might be the best credit choice.
I remember reading about this a while back...

From the Wikipedia page:
QuoteThe game's soundtrack was scored mostly by Tomoya Tomita, while franchise regulars Hirokazu Ando, Jun Ishikawa and Tadashi Ikegami handled the musical reprises towards the end of the game.

From the linked interview with Tomita:
QuoteBy the time the game changed into a Kirby title, music for six of the seven worlds was already complete. Ikegami-san asked if I wouldn't mind letting him participate in the soundtrack, and since the final world in the game was going to be Dream Land, the HAL team ended up writing the music for it—which worked out well for me since I had fallen behind creating sound effects (laughs).

So actually, yeah I think it's already correct crediting Ishikawa, Ando, and Ikegami.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Rubikium

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 28, 2023, 01:50:11 PM- m17 LH play around with the tie tool a little, as the middle tie (for the A) is clipping through the C notehead
I can't fix this myself as I'm using Finale Notepad. Someone would need to do so right before the sheet is accepted

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 28, 2023, 01:50:11 PM- m18 system could be widdened a little, the m21 dotted qaurter G in the LH almost looks like a staccato under the RH Bb here.
I solved the m21 collision by excluding the RH Bb inside the 8va and thus move the note up

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 28, 2023, 01:50:11 PMI would suggest a crossbar 8th note like m14 for m26; the Bb in the RH on beat 2.5 technically is followed by the Dn in the LH an 8th beat later. Not inherently a problem but it might be good as far as showing how the actual descending rhythm in the original flows
I don't like crossbar notes that have opposite direction in interval and stave location, so I choose to move the LH notes to upper stave instead

Kricketune54

Quote from: Latios212So actually, yeah I think it's already correct crediting Ishikawa, Ando, and Ikegami.
Got it, thank you for the clarification

Quote from: Rubikium on April 02, 2023, 12:51:45 AMI can't fix this myself as I'm using Finale Notepad. Someone would need to do so right before the sheet is accepted
penciling for later because this applies for m15 as well

QuoteI solved the m21 collision by excluding the RH Bb inside the 8va and thus move the note up
Just to be as clear as possible, maybe move the end part of the 8va a bit to the left. It's probably fine but my eye almost wants to put beat 4 under the 8va when looking at it.

Quote from: RubikiumI don't like crossbar notes that have opposite direction in interval and stave location, so I choose to move the LH notes to upper stave instead
This is fine, though you could add a dashed line that shows the movement between staffs, between the Bb on beat 2.5 and the D on beat 3.0

More Items
- m8 RH beat 1 I'm not hearing an A, but hearing a G and a C. Technically these are above the D in the LH (and above the staff), but could add them to the RH if you wanted:
Spoiler
[close]
- m8 LH beat 2.5-3 not hearing the G as a grace note, but I think it's played at same time as the A. Could add a roll on the notes as well.
- m10 beat 1 LH I hear a C next to the Bb here. There's also an A on beat 3 in the RH, but it's next to the Bb and honestly sounds not great like that on piano. I would either put down an octave from original, or add an A to your current beat 3 LH cluster
- m11 I hear piano notes C and F under the RH G
- m12 on relisten the LH An grace note is actually played at same time as the Bb dotted on beat 3.5, so remove grace note and add the An to that beat
- m15 beat 2.5 LH could add a roll here
- m16 RH not hearing the lower F on beat 1
- m17 I'm actually hearing an Eb below the current one in the RH - technically it's a piano part note but I think it would be awkward for LH beat 2.5 if it was in that staff
- m18 something got messed up with the cross stave stem here, not sure if you have the ability to drag that down?
- m21 on relisten, not hearing the F in between the D's on beat 1 RH. I am hearing a middle G that is technically lower than the bottom D, so you could put that between the RH D's or add a C above the LH notes in its place
- m24 beat 2 LH I hear the Eb only being held for 8th note value, you could move it up to the RH and maybe indicate it should be played by the left?

Rubikium

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 03, 2023, 01:24:52 PMThis is fine, though you could add a dashed line that shows the movement between staffs, between the Bb on beat 2.5 and the D on beat 3.0
I'm not entirely convinced whether the Bb note belongs to the upper or lower voice, so I keep the first half of measure as single voice

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 03, 2023, 01:24:52 PM- m8 RH beat 1 I'm not hearing an A, but hearing a G and a C. Technically these are above the D in the LH (and above the staff), but could add them to the RH if you wanted
- m16 RH not hearing the lower F on beat 1
The notes was a octave lower in original and added for a fuller sound. I can't hear the G and C note in m8 at all

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 03, 2023, 01:24:52 PM- m18 something got messed up with the cross stave stem here, not sure if you have the ability to drag that down?
Nope, Notepad can't do that. Other adjustment for the future:
  • Middle ties in m15-17
  • m19 beat 2.5 RH note positions (match beat 3?)

Kricketune54

Quote from: Rubikium on April 21, 2023, 06:43:22 PMI'm not entirely convinced whether the Bb note belongs to the upper or lower voice, so I keep the first half of measure as single voice
Sounds good!
QuoteThe notes was a octave lower in original and added for a fuller sound. I can't hear the G and C note in m8 at all
Relistened, I still hear the G, but I don't think's imperative to include given it's original octave. Not hearing the C anymore.

QuoteNope, Notepad can't do that. Other adjustment for the future:
  • Middle ties in m15-17
  • m19 beat 2.5 RH note positions (match beat 3?)

Took a stab with this file at implementing, ties were tough to maneuver but I've got nothing else, and will approve!

Zeila

Nice arrangement of a nice song :3

• you could add some arpeggio markings to m. 11 LH beat 2.5, m. 14 LH beat 1, m. 18 beats 1 and 3 (both hands), and m. 21 beat 1 (both hands), but they're not totally required
  • m. 14 - idk if this is possible for you, but I would personally raise the 2nd layer rests to the default position (i.e. up 6 steps)
  • m. 14 - there's a G playing here too, and if the omission was because adding it seemed a bit too heavy handed, then I think it sounds okay when added as a 5th below the RH
  • m. 21 - I think the last Bb is actually two octaves higher, but if you changed it so that the jump in the next measure isn't as large then that's okay too

Rubikium

Quote from: Zeila on July 10, 2023, 11:25:45 PM
  • you could add some arpeggio markings to m. 11 LH beat 2.5, m. 14 LH beat 1, m. 18 beats 1 and 3 (both hands), and m. 21 beat 1 (both hands), but they're not totally required
Added arpeggio markings at m. 11 LH beat 2.5 and m. 21 beat 1, but the horizontal spacing between markings and note need some adjustments that I can't do in Notepad

• m. 14 - idk if this is possible for you, but I would personally raise the 2nd layer rests to the default position (i.e. up 6 steps)
  • m. 14 - there's a G playing here too, and if the omission was because adding it seemed a bit too heavy handed, then I think it sounds okay when added as a 5th below the RH
Sounds great, changed

• m. 21 - I think the last Bb is actually two octaves higher, but if you changed it so that the jump in the next measure isn't as large then that's okay too
I didn't changed this since I don't hear the two Bb as a upward interval at all. Still, the decreased jump distance is a valid reason too if the interval is indeed going upwards

Bloop

This is a very great sheet! Just a couple small things (some of which you might need full-finale help with, lmk if you want me to make some edits!):

-m11: The roll in beat 2.5 in the L.H. is pretty hard to see, since it's very cramped here. Maybe you can move the whole of beat 2.5 to the right a bit?
-m15 and 17: The middle tie of beat 2.5 looks like it's clashing with the notes on beat 3.
-m19: The cross-staffed notes in beat 2.5 look a bit misplaced, compared to their standerd position in beat 3.
-m20: Maybe you can move the R.H. notes on beat 1.5-2.5 up an octave (with an 8va possibly)?
-m23: I hear the Ab on beat 1 in the L.H. an octave down, do you think that's still feasible to play as a roll? It might be a bit of a slower roll than in the original in that case.
-m26: I don't hear the D on beat 3 in the R.H., definitely not as clearly as the one on beat 3.5

Latios212

Just a few things to mention on a quick glance, to add onto Bloop's feedback before we wrap up!
- I don't think I hear the upper Eb octave in the left hand of m. 1-3 and 7, and it seems a bit out of place since the left hand part doesn't have an octave there in other places.
- Some of the LH notes go pretty far off the staff. I think it's fine in most places, but in particular I think it would be good to write the left hand of m. 18 in bass clef.
- The half rest in the LH of m. 24 should be hidden since the voice continues onto the upper staff. Also this is something that needs full Finale, but the cross-staff beam in m. 24 should bend upwards.
- I think it would be easier to just have the lower part in the last two beats of the last two measure to simply be written on the lower staff.

I'd be happy to help make some visual adjustments to this sheet before we accept it if you and Bloop want some assistance, as there are some minor spacing tweaks and such that could help alleviate the crampedness of this sheet.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Rubikium

Quote from: Bloop on September 02, 2023, 02:04:08 PM-m23: I hear the Ab on beat 1 in the L.H. an octave down, do you think that's still feasible to play as a roll? It might be a bit of a slower roll than in the original in that case.
I adjusted the voicing to keep the original low Ab and make it more feasible to play.

Quote from: Bloop on September 02, 2023, 02:04:08 PM-m15 and 17: The middle tie of beat 2.5 looks like it's clashing with the notes on beat 3.
-m19: The cross-staffed notes in beat 2.5 look a bit misplaced, compared to their standerd position in beat 3.
Quote from: Latios212 on September 03, 2023, 01:06:35 PMAlso this is something that needs full Finale, but the cross-staff beam in m. 24 should bend upwards.
I can't fix these myself, so please help me make the adjustments to do so.

Quote from: Latios212 on September 03, 2023, 01:06:35 PMI'd be happy to help make some visual adjustments to this sheet before we accept it if you and Bloop want some assistance, as there are some minor spacing tweaks and such that could help alleviate the crampedness of this sheet.
Please do!

Updated the files.

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on September 03, 2023, 01:06:35 PMI'd be happy to help make some visual adjustments to this sheet before we accept it if you and Bloop want some assistance, as there are some minor spacing tweaks and such that could help alleviate the crampedness of this sheet.
Quote from: Rubikium on September 17, 2023, 11:20:18 AMPlease do!

Check this out! https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/by1hzod2g1x03qbnr5hge/h?rlkey=gorcnlakdc7lhrs1w2xtce19e&dl=0

The first file has some minor tweaks in addition to some tie/beaming adjustments. But to be honest, I think trying to fit this on one page is not great and I've provided a second file that more naturally spreads it across one and a half pages that I'd highly recommend using instead.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle