Series: Other
Game: GoldenEye 007
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Aztec Complex
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Kricketune54

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kricketune54

XiaoMigros

Hi! Sorry about the wait on this, I've wanted to get to it for a while...
Some of these points are just 'things I would have done differently' so agree/disagree with them as you want!
  • I hear the marimba figure in m1 beats 1-2 repeated consistently throughout the whole section (m1-7), maybe you could add that in and change dynamics?
  • m2 and similar: There's a D at beat 4.5 that I think is worth including
  • m16+ and similar: The vibraphone part doesn't sound staccato to me, and some notes sound longer than you have written even with the staccatos removed.
    Also, the rests in m17 & 21 should be visible if you want to write this part with 2 layers (I would recommend using only 1)
  • m24+ and similar: Since the bass plays continuous 8ths here, maybe it's worth the LH playing only that instead of a mix?
    It would help get across the feel also provided by the.. other 8th playing instrument, whatever it is
  • For m32+ and similar I would use 2 layers, and maybe there's a way to voice the harmonies in m35 without restriking them at beat 2.5
  • m40-47: I think it might be better to leave out some of the lower layer LH notes to prioritise the higher one
    Alternatively, I wonder if there's a way to write the upper layer in it's original octave, and then omit more of the lower layer
  • m50 and similar: The higher LH note at beat 4 would be better of in the upper layer
  • System spacing: 4 measures per system works great, but if you do 3 in the very first system everything aligns better, with new sections starting on new systems

Kricketune54

• I hear the marimba figure in m1 beats 1-2 repeated consistently throughout the whole section (m1-7), maybe you could add that in and change dynamics?
    Honestly I heard this previously, not sure why I didn't include  :P. I did a lot of changes in spacing and additional dynamics for this section, hopefully not too overboard. Lmk if you think some of these dynamics should go in between staffs as opposed to under or over.

• m2 and similar: There's a D at beat 4.5 that I think is worth including
    that is quite faint, but I've added.

• m16+ and similar: The vibraphone part doesn't sound staccato to me, and some notes sound longer than you have written even with the staccatos removed.
    I've removed the staccatos on each marimba note. I think m18 and similar there's actually a restrike on beat 2.0 which might be what you're referring to.

QuoteAlso, the rests in m17 & 21 should be visible if you want to write this part with 2 layers (I would recommend using only 1)[/li][/list]
    Went with 1 layer

• m24+ and similar: Since the bass plays continuous 8ths here, maybe it's worth the LH playing only that instead of a mix?
      It would help get across the feel also provided by the.. other 8th playing instrument, whatever it is
    My initial goal here was to capture more of the percussion feel with the omissions, but I suppose it's better to have the LH bassline moving like the other guitar (?) is in the original

• For m32+ and similar I would use 2 layers, and maybe there's a way to voice the harmonies in m35 without restriking them at beat 2.5
    Redid with 2 layers, and did some different ties between whole notes except for m39. I also changed the slurs up.

• m40-47: I think it might be better to leave out some of the lower layer LH notes to prioritise the higher one
    Alternatively, I wonder if there's a way to write the upper layer in it's original octave, and then omit more of the lower layer[/li][/list]
    So I was trying to make this stand out a bit more, but I honestly like it better as it was in the original octave. Made it work.

• m50 and similar: The higher LH note at beat 4 would be better of in the upper layer
    I think by this you mean to put it in the 3rd layer? Already two layers present

• System spacing: 4 measures per system works great, but if you do 3 in the very first system everything aligns better, with new sections starting on new systems
    Oh this looks so much better...

Thanks for the extensive comments! Updated files addressing above.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 10, 2023, 06:18:32 PMHonestly I heard this previously, not sure why I didn't include  :P. I did a lot of changes in spacing and additional dynamics for this section, hopefully not too overboard. Lmk if you think some of these dynamics should go in between staffs as opposed to under or over.
    I'm just wondering what the right balance is, because the low G in m1 for example is much louder than the marimba (and what the currently written dynamic implies. Maybe something like separate layers + accents on non-marimba notes might work?

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 10, 2023, 06:18:32 PMI think m18 and similar there's actually a restrike on beat 2.0 which might be what you're referring to.
    Ahh I think you're right, that explains it

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 10, 2023, 06:18:32 PMMy initial goal here was to capture more of the percussion feel with the omissions, but I suppose it's better to have the LH bassline moving like the other guitar (?) is in the original
    I don't think it's fair to call this 'better' per se, I just feel like the sheet benefits here by having a varied LH for a bit. Speaking of which, I'm once again not entirely sure what the part you wrote here no is based off of? Is it a direct transcription of the bass or a mix of bass+perc?

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 10, 2023, 06:18:32 PMRedid with 2 layers, and did some different ties between whole notes except for m39. I also changed the slurs up.
    I like this part much more now! The only thing that still could be changed is removing the lower voice D in m35, it causes weird visual overlap and might also not be entirely clear to the performer if they should restrike the note there or not.
    You also have probably forgotten to copy these changes over to m56+

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 10, 2023, 06:18:32 PMSo I was trying to make this stand out a bit more, but I honestly like it better as it was in the original octave. Made it work.
    Looks great! I think it's best to move m47 up an octave though, or to work out a different solution for the percussion/bass, a major second followed by 3 times the same note isn't terrible but I think it can be improved upon

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 10, 2023, 06:18:32 PMI think by this you mean to put it in the 3rd layer? Already two layers present
    Yeah, I just meant not in the bass part. I don't hear this note as staccato though, and the F# at beat 1 would best be a dotted half (then you have the 3 layers completely filled out)

Kricketune54

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 16, 2023, 03:54:50 AMI'm just wondering what the right balance is, because the low G in m1 for example is much louder than the marimba (and what the currently written dynamic implies. Maybe something like separate layers + accents on non-marimba notes might work?
    Hmm. I found this took a bit of time to visually make it work, but I think I found something inline with your description here. I've also made sure to update 72-78 as well

QuoteI don't think it's fair to call this 'better' per se, I just feel like the sheet benefits here by having a varied LH for a bit. Speaking of which, I'm once again not entirely sure what the part you wrote here no is based off of? Is it a direct transcription of the bass or a mix of bass+perc?
    This part is bit of a mixture of bass+perc. All the notes are there in the original, but for example at m24 beats 4.0 and 4.5 are percussion whereas everything else is that bass instrument.

QuoteI like this part much more now! The only thing that still could be changed is removing the lower voice D in m35, it causes weird visual overlap and might also not be entirely clear to the performer if they should restrike the note there or not.
    Good point, and considering it's a restrike anyway doesn't make sense as I had it.

QuoteYou also have probably forgotten to copy these changes over to m56+
    Bleh, sorry about that you are correct. Updated

QuoteLooks great! I think it's best to move m47 up an octave though, or to work out a different solution for the percussion/bass, a major second followed by 3 times the same note isn't terrible but I think it can be improved upon
    Moved up an octave

QuoteYeah, I just meant not in the bass part. I don't hear this note as staccato though, and the F# at beat 1 would best be a dotted half (then you have the 3 layers completely filled out)
    Ah okay, I don't think I listened enough when making this change to realize which note I had even written in the first place lol

Thanks again! Updated

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 18, 2023, 01:06:36 PMHmm. I found this took a bit of time to visually make it work, but I think I found something inline with your description here. I've also made sure to update 72-78 as well
    This looks good, just 2 small things that caught my eye:
    • Since the high G at m1 beat 4 is doubled by both instruments, it should be written in both layers. Whether you add an accent to it or not is up to you (I lean towards adding it, personally)
    • In m2 and similar I would make the lower layer eighth rest visible, for legibility

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 18, 2023, 01:06:36 PMThis part is bit of a mixture of bass+perc. All the notes are there in the original, but for example at m24 beats 4.0 and 4.5 are percussion whereas everything else is that bass instrument.
    Ah, that works! Looks good

• In m47 you can write the D# as Eb if you want to, thinking of this chord as F#7 fully diminished (and also looking at the key signature, oops).
    • I think in m76 the strings are missing a dynamic

Kricketune54

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 19, 2023, 01:46:22 AMThis looks good, just 2 small things that caught my eye:
    • Since the high G at m1 beat 4 is doubled by both instruments, it should be written in both layers. Whether you add an accent to it or not is up to you (I lean towards adding it, personally)
    • In m2 and similar I would make the lower layer eighth rest visible, for legibility
    Added the G at m1 and m72 to both layers with an accent. Also added the 8th rests.

• In m47 you can write the D# as Eb if you want to, thinking of this chord as F#7 fully diminished (and also looking at the key signature, oops).
    • I think in m76 the strings are missing a dynamic

These should be fixed as well now! Chord idea makes sense.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 19, 2023, 12:16:19 PMAdded the G at m1 and m72 to both layers with an accent. Also added the 8th rests.
    I was referring to the G half a beat prior, meaning something like this:
    Spoiler
    You cannot view this attachment.
    [close]

• I think some of the 8th rest in the first two systems on page 3 could be moved down slightly, so they are at a more similar height to the 4th rests, and dont touch the notes like in m43. The ones in m47 might actually be better of slightly higher up
    • It might be worth adding an mp marking to the RH notes in m3 and m74, just to clarify they aren't affected by the decrescendos
    • The mp in m72 should match the height of the decrescendo

Kricketune54

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 19, 2023, 01:53:50 PMI was referring to the G half a beat prior, meaning something like this:
    Wow. Not sure in what universe that was "high G". Sorry about that, fixed.

• I think some of the 8th rest in the first two systems on page 3 could be moved down slightly, so they are at a more similar height to the 4th rests, and dont touch the notes like in m43. The ones in m47 might actually be better of slightly higher up
    played around with this some heights should be mostly consistent now except for m42 and m46.
    • It might be worth adding an mp marking to the RH notes in m3 and m74, just to clarify they aren't affected by the decrescendos
    • The mp in m72 should match the height of the decrescendo
    Added and fixed. Thanks!

XiaoMigros

Zeila

Thank you for your service with replacing this sheet :p

• m. 20/22 LH - beat 4 I think this sounds the same as the other measures before this with the lower Bb/A respectively
    • m. 24-31/64-71 LH - not sure if this would really add much or be worth it, but you could try adding accents to the timpani parts of the LH mix. You could also try something like this instead, but if it's too much then that's okay as well!
    • m. 50/54 RH - I think you should put the courtesy accidental on the C of beat 2.5 instead of beat 4

Kricketune54

Quote from: Zeila on July 10, 2023, 11:31:46 PMThank you for your service with replacing this sheet :p
    We need like a digital monument once all these Goldeneye sheets are replaced

• m. 20/22 LH - beat 4 I think this sounds the same as the other measures before this with the lower Bb/A respectively
    Yeah definitely right! Can you tell this is a repetitive piece that I probably just forgot to copy and paste the right part over my previous version
    • m. 24-31/64-71 LH - not sure if this would really add much or be worth it, but you could try adding accents to the timpani parts of the LH mix. You could also try something like this instead, but if it's too much then that's okay as well!You cannot view this attachment.
    The part in your screenshot is a little bit much to play from my testing, and I also would like to keep the current octave. I do think it's good to replicate the timpani somehow, so I added the accents.

• m. 50/54 RH - I think you should put the courtesy accidental on the C of beat 2.5 instead of beat 4
    Huh. Not sure what happened there because the accidental for a C# should be on beat 3 for both these measures. Playback played it correctly yet it was missing. Fixed

Made the updates, thanks for the look!

Kricketune54

Quote from: Zeila on July 10, 2023, 11:31:46 PM
    • m. 24-31/64-71 LH - not sure if this would really add much or be worth it, but you could try adding accents to the timpani parts of the LH mix. You could also try something like this instead, but if it's too much then that's okay as well!

Actually, tried playing this again and it seemed to roll off way more obviously than it did when I tried practicing it a month ago. Added in, thanks!

Bloop

-1-6: Every third iteration of the fade-out marimba part in the L.H. is only barely hearable in the original: do you think it's still worth including them in the sheet? They do still fill up some empty space, so that works.
    -m2, 4, 6: I don't particularly like the marimba and pizzicato bass part at the same time (smaller intervals in a low register). Maybe you can have just the pizzocato bass part and override the marimba? I hear the D in the L.H. on beat 4.5 an octave lower, in that case. You could choose to override the marimba in m1 as well then.
    -m18 and 42: I don't hear the melody anymore on beat 3.
    -m16, 18 and 20 (and 40, 42 and 44): If you want, you can add some chord tones on beat 2 and have the player roll the chord, to keep the flamenco-like guitar part.
    -m24 (and 48): Maybe you could add an Eb on beat 1 in the R.H.: the chord change is pretty noticeable in the original, but in the arrangement it only happens at beat 2.5
    -m25 and 29: I think the 32nd notes at beat 4.75 may work better as grace notes.
    -m27 and 31: Maybe you can change the low Eb on beat 2.5 to an F? It helps keeping the bar sound like Fm, instead of switching to another chord
    -m40-47: Similarly to m1-6, I don't really like how the two voices in the L.H. interact. I'd suggest something like this:
    The key here is to not have any dissonant or half-consonant (thirds/sixths) intervals in a too low range, and to try to imitate the bass rhythm rather than transcribing the exact parts.
    Also, in m47, the new voice in the L.H. stays on a D instead of going Eb-D.
    -m48-55: Maybe you can move the middle voice in the L.H. up an octave and put it in the R.H. instead? It empties out the L.H. a bit and makes the arrangement feel a bit lighter.
    -m50-51 and 54-55: Chord time! The chords in these measures are either F# major and D# minor, or Gb major and Eb minor. The enharmonic spelling is currently changing between both though. I'll make it an enharmonic spelling exercise to have you decide on what the correct spelling should be, but feel free to ping me on discord if you're not sure ^^
    -m55: There's a timpani hit on beat 4 in this bar, maybe you can add it in in some way?
    -Page 4 is just repeated material of before, make sure to fix the same things here as well ^^
    -m64-67: Because of the lower octave being added to the R.H., there are some places where the R.H and L.H. play the same note. Maybe you could add parentheses to the L.H. notes when this happens?
    -The D.S. at the end is a bit high up