twg cxiv: nothing special 2: electric boogaloo

Started by ThatHiddenCharacter, August 01, 2023, 05:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A# Minor

^ RIP BDS. :(

Ninja'd because I was pretty sure I posted this ten minutes ago.
Yeah, 36-1 came online about an hour after the game started so he could be aware that the game is on but just didn't have time to post anything. Kaiveran (?) wasn't on since the 30th.
... That information was probably unnecessary XD
hey! listen!! ⬆️

haha get drowned
[close]

I unintentionally set an avatar that matches my custom title (Termina Tango) and now I don't want to post

E. Gadd Industries

Aw no! I was looking forward to working with BDS (or against, depending) D:

Honestly though I can't say I'm surprised, going for a person with more experience. Kinda not liking the fact that World 36-1 has been seen around online but hasn't said anything here.

Actually, A# Minor, that info could be quite useful for early game. Hopefully they both show up and play their part, though, because inactivity just makes the game not fun for anyone. Just don't stalk Who's Online to try and ascertain who's doing what in terms of the game because that's generally frowned upon :P (example: seeing someone sending a PM during night phase could be seen as suspicious, but it also could be any number of things so why bring it up? It kills the spirit of the game)

THC, would it be wise to send a message in the Discord to indicate phase changes? Perhaps it would help people in being aware of the flow of the game.

Aaaand finally, I want to hear Xiao's thoughts on the state of things right now. They're new, and early game can be rather interesting to see what people think, especially with little info.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

ThatHiddenCharacter

I will attempt to reach out to 36-1 and Kaiveran, plus I do think pinging the alive players on Discord for phase changes is a good idea that I will implement going forward.

As for BDS' final words:

they played me like a damn fiddle
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on August 02, 2023, 09:27:51 AMI will attempt to reach out to 36-1 and Kaiveran, plus I do think pinging the alive players on Discord for phase changes is a good idea that I will implement going forward.

As for BDS' final words:

Grazie! And as for BDS's final words, eek. That's cryptic.
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

I would also like to hear Olimar's thoughts on BDS's final message/the current state of things. We need people talking.
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

TheZeldaPianist275

The way this game is structured it definitely favors the wolves, even with cardflips. In the absence of any special roles, the information between the humans and the wolves is as wide as it can be. And with the numbers, we are allowed a grand total of one mislynch before the game could end. It is imperative that people be talking about their suspicions as much as possible. More information means more potential for getting a read on someone, which is the only way to close that information gap.

There are slim pickings for things to respond to, but slim pickings is not nothing. BDS is the longest-running, most experienced player here iirc. Manti Rule-ing him off would suggest an experienced wolf--one who would have played with him enough to know that he's been around a while. For you newcomers, that's me, E. Gadd, and Olimar. Also, he was murked right after suggesting reaching out to the inactives on alternate platforms. The wolves have an incentive to keep thread activity during a manhunt game to a minimum, because that's how they get caught. So to my eye, the BDS wolfing looks like someone who's been around the block a few times but hasn't been engaged with the thread enough to say more than "experienced player getting people to talk? Get rid of him"

Olimar is the person who fits this mold the most right now, as someone who has been playing TWG here for a number of years but has only posted to say "I'm posting". Like E. Gadd, I'm interested in hearing what he thinks so far.

A# and Xiao, don't be shy, we need your input too!

Olimar12345

rip BDS, you poor soul. TWG finally returns and its just like before: instant BDS wolfing XD "it's day time, fools"

Sadly BDS night 1 wolfing is a pretty safe call for the wolves. His sheer abundance in this side of the forums would paint a pretty obvious target on his head. But I do agree that it would most likely have been due to at least one of the wolves having been around to know that.

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on August 02, 2023, 02:34:11 PMas someone who has been playing TWG here for a number of years but has only posted to say "I'm posting".

heh well it's only night 1 so what else is there to talk about?

Actually, an argument of "suspect the veterans" would be a pretty smart play from a wolf too, especially when we know at least one of them most likely is also a veteran player.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

World 36-1

Lmao I completely forgot to check the forums. Sorry for leaving you waiting, I'll be checking more frequently so I hopefully don't miss anything else! I'm mainly active on the Discord, so hello Forum Friends!

Regarding suspicions, E. Gadd reached out to me about the game earlier today (thanks btw). Going off of what TheZeldaPianist said, that indicates to me that E. Gadd would be safe.

Olimar12345

Hello, World 36-1! Thanks for confirming that reach-out. E. Gadd is probably a safe pass for the lynch.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

E. Gadd Industries

Ooooo lots of posting and thoughts! Thank you!!!

I'll give mine in a moment (chores wheeeee), but I wanted to say that this a very informative discussion so far :)
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

Okay time for thoughts

I agree with the general concensus that it would make sense for there to be at least one experienced wolf. That unfortunately leaves it wide-open for who the other could be, as inactive or inexperienced doesn't really make a difference as long as there is a vet to call the shots.

I didn't really tell World 36-1 anything with that PM he mentioned, it was simply to confirm activity and also hopefully to get some of his thoughts on the game (which he seems to have given some of them here). Otherwise he didn't respond to me directly.

Olimar, thank you for responding!
Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 02, 2023, 03:44:49 PMBut I do agree that it would most likely have been due to at least one of the wolves having been around to know that.
I agree with your sentiments here. The only other way it could be inexperienced from this alone would be how much he was talking N1, but even that's a shot in the dark bc there were three others also talking quite a bit (and if anything, iirc, I think BDS was on the quieter end for the four of us up until near phase end)

It still would've been nice had you spoken a bit more; even with N1 being... N1, it still is useful to see what sort of mindset everyone is in. Also useful to help the new players see what's important to look for, etc.

I still want to hear more thoughts from Xiao and World 36-1. To the latter, you didn't really give many thoughts aside from mentioning my PM and that you agree with TZP's sentiments. Do you have anything specific that you agree with especially? Any initial suspicions?

I have a few suspicions of my own, but at the risk of not wanting to cause a mislynch (given how few we have), I'm going to withhold them for now. I've PM'd the concerned parties and am awaiting a response. I will, however, reveal my suspicions regardless of whether or not they've responded before there are 12 hours remaining in the phase, and if I can, 18 hours before.
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Kaiveran

Ahh! Sorry for my absence everyone. Checking this forum slipped my mind as I've had a lot on my plate lately. Including perhaps a newly developing medical condition. Whoopee.

Thankfully it doesn't seem like this will be too long a read.
~ Kai Lugheidh | http://pronoun.is/ey ~

XiaoMigros

Hi! I was sleeping

FWIW: where I'm from we play an IRL version of this game, complete with many more interesting human-roles and other whacky mechanics. So I'm not completely clueless as to how things should work here:

I'm not sure if I agree with the idea that there's at least one experienced wolf. As Olimar already mentioned, BDS as a moderator and an active member could simply have been a random choice. That said, it's definitely not unlikely that there is at least one experienced wolf, given by the number of players alone.

Kaiveran

Got distracted, got hungry, had some dinner. Hope it doesn't go through me as fast as my last meal. Doesn't seem like there's multiquoting on this forum except for the most recent posts in the advanced editor, so that's gonna severely cramp my usual style. Specific post links work, though, so I guess I can do some seat of my pants commentary with those, even if it's harder to read.

A# Minor is one of the completely new people we've got here, right? If so, #6 and following seem really boilerplate newbie-feeling-out-the-game content. Zelda's #12 is helpful enough, but not really anything indicative of alignment in my eyes.

E. Gadd's #14, however, gives me a slight town lean in context. He(?) seems to sense things going in an unproductive direction, particularly for this specific game setup, and puts in an attempt to steer it back.
(Yes, I'm an enby who routinely forgets to check pronouns, and then forgets people's pronouns once I learn them. We exist, unfortunately. Hell, I'd forget half of y'all's names if they weren't LITCHRULLY in front of me all the time.)

#15, I guess this is true from a technical standpoint, but to me, true-blue Lemmy's-Last-Sheet T-Dubs isn't truly back until there's some chunky mystery games with wacky mechanics and at least 3 different factions being run again. Probably not gonna happen anytime soon, but hey, a foxcat can dream!

#17 by E.Gadd, you think some classic OC strats might come back even with PMs only? Like that one thing we always did when we thought we said too much to X and then contacted a third-party Y saying "if I die tonight, X might be a wolf?" I don't think we ever named that, mind you, but it happened in some form all the time. I wanna call it "deadhanding".

As for myself, I don't think I'll be doing too much badgering people over PMs. The real-time feedback/slip-ups/bouncing ideas/etc. of IM conversations was what made that element of our TWG tradition most powerful, IMO, and the PM system here is rather awkward for me. If only Trillian and all the services it linked still existed.

Okay, from the last page I know BDS must have died N1, but after the game, Mr. Electrum, I gotta know what you think of the term "Lemmy's Last Sheet" above.

Speaking of which:
Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on August 01, 2023, 10:10:27 PMA quick list of everyone who's posted so far:

1. BlackDragonSlayer: posted
2. World 36-1: NOT posted
3. E. Gadd: posted
4. A# Minor: posted
5. TheZeldaPianist: posted
6. Kaiveran: NOT posted
7. Xiao: posted
8. Olimar12345: posted
Do we know whether or not the wolf kill is mandatory this game (i.e randomized if a wolf doesn't send it)? Because if it's not, we can pretty much confirm that World 36 and I are not partners, which would make her lock clear from my perspective. Which, y'know, feels like playing dirty a little bit, but it sure would be a nice piece of info to have.

Quote from: A# Minor on August 02, 2023, 08:51:35 AMYeah, 36-1 came online about an hour after the game started so he could be aware that the game is on but just didn't have time to post anything. Kaiveran (?) wasn't on since the 30th.
... That information was probably unnecessary XD

Speak of the devil. While I will largely concur with E. Gadd on the issue of status stalking being against the spirit of the game (and not totally reliable anyways) the information is out there now. And it appears from this that I cannot, in fact, lock-clear W36. Still, I guess it was worth a shot.

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on August 02, 2023, 09:27:51 AMI will attempt to reach out to 36-1 and Kaiveran, plus I do think pinging the alive players on Discord for phase changes is a good idea that I will implement going forward.

As for BDS' final words:

I gotta concur with E.Gadd below this post; this is a rather cryptic yikes-post, and quite possibly speaks to some shenanigans going down in the Slayer's DMs Night 1. Has anyone talked to BDS behind the scenes before his death? Did he tell you anything specific about certain players?
(Sure, people can just outright lie and omit things about this, since he's no longer around to set the record straight, but any content in this vein might be useful for analysis down the road.)

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on August 02, 2023, 02:34:11 PMThe way this game is structured it definitely favors the wolves, even with cardflips. In the absence of any special roles, the information between the humans and the wolves is as wide as it can be. And with the numbers, we are allowed a grand total of one mislynch before the game could end. It is imperative that people be talking about their suspicions as much as possible. More information means more potential for getting a read on someone, which is the only way to close that information gap.

There are slim pickings for things to respond to, but slim pickings is not nothing. BDS is the longest-running, most experienced player here iirc. Manti Rule-ing him off would suggest an experienced wolf--one who would have played with him enough to know that he's been around a while. For you newcomers, that's me, E. Gadd, and Olimar. Also, he was murked right after suggesting reaching out to the inactives on alternate platforms. The wolves have an incentive to keep thread activity during a manhunt game to a minimum, because that's how they get caught. So to my eye, the BDS wolfing looks like someone who's been around the block a few times but hasn't been engaged with the thread enough to say more than "experienced player getting people to talk? Get rid of him"

Olimar is the person who fits this mold the most right now, as someone who has been playing TWG here for a number of years but has only posted to say "I'm posting". Like E. Gadd, I'm interested in hearing what he thinks so far.

A# and Xiao, don't be shy, we need your input too!

(Blue emphasis mine.)
Even considering the inherent whyfoam in assuming players here will default to old patterns, this is a well-reasoned out, solid case for this stage in the game.

I would definitely like to hear a bit more from all the parties you mentioned before I commit to a vote though.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 02, 2023, 03:44:49 PMheh well it's only night 1 so what else is there to talk about?

Actually, an argument of "suspect the veterans" would be a pretty smart play from a wolf too, especially when we know at least one of them most likely is also a veteran player.

Well, E. Gadd and BDS himself where trying to keep the activity up N1, and they both gave reasons for it. Is there a particular reason you didn't see fit to participate much in that discussion?

Quote from: World 36-1 on August 02, 2023, 03:46:05 PMLmao I completely forgot to check the forums. Sorry for leaving you waiting, I'll be checking more frequently so I hopefully don't miss anything else! I'm mainly active on the Discord, so hello Forum Friends!

Regarding suspicions, E. Gadd reached out to me about the game earlier today (thanks btw). Going off of what TheZeldaPianist said, that indicates to me that E. Gadd would be safe.

Welcome to the game, 36! (do you mind that nickname?)

And yeah, while it's nice that E. Gadd was proactive with PMing you, I wouldn't cement that in stone for all time as a town read. If we whiff today we are immediately at ELo the next Day and we have to then consider all options.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 02, 2023, 03:50:58 PMHello, World 36-1! Thanks for confirming that reach-out. E. Gadd is probably a safe pass for the lynch.

Ok, like, I think E. Gadd has been decently towny thus far, but this sudden convergence on "E. Gadd is off the table" makes me think that at least one of 36 and Olimar have TMI.

Kaiveran

Quote from: XiaoMigros on August 02, 2023, 11:41:34 PMHi! I was sleeping

FWIW: where I'm from we play an IRL version of this game, complete with many more interesting human-roles and other whacky mechanics. So I'm not completely clueless as to how things should work here:

I'm not sure if I agree with the idea that there's at least one experienced wolf. As Olimar already mentioned, BDS as a moderator and an active member could simply have been a random choice. That said, it's definitely not unlikely that there is at least one experienced wolf, given by the number of players alone.
At least you're going against the grain here...at least, as much of a "grain" as one other player's theory is, even if Olimar and 36 seem to concur with it.
Do you have any solid reads from this perspective yet?