News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

twg cxiv: nothing special 2: electric boogaloo postgame

Started by ThatHiddenCharacter, August 07, 2023, 05:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThatHiddenCharacter

twg cxiv: nothing special 2: electric boogaloo - postgame

congrats wolves you guys win

2 wolves, 6 humans. the wolves kill one player per night via pms and everybody voted lynches during the day. this game had cardflips.

players/roles

1. Kaiveran
2. TheZeldaPianist

3. BlackDragonSlayer
4. World 36-1
5. E. Gadd
6. A# Minor
7. Xiao
8. Olimar12345

phase by phase actions:

night 1: BlackDragonSlayer is wolfed.

day 1: Olimar12345 is lynched.

night 2: World 36-1 is wolfed.

day 2: A# Minor is insta'd.

I would just like to link to this post just to show how much this game perfectly paralleled the original. Even the exact same amount of pages on the forum. And yes, I copied the formatting of the host posts almost verbatim.

Accolades and statistics coming soon question mark?
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

ThatHiddenCharacter

Ok, time for some rewards!

The "Most Growth" award goes to A# Minor! You started off the game about the same as any newbie, but you quickly got into the swing of things. Even if your gut wasn't 100% right, you did a great job defending yourself and your suspicions. I look forward to seeing you grow even more in these.

The "I'm Too Young to Die!" award goes to BlackDragonSlayer for dying almost immediately. The veteran curse. It sucks.

The "Wildcard" award goes to Kaiveran for being all over the place. Honestly, it was really hard keeping up with how much your "views" flipflopped, and it certainly paid off.

The "Congrats, You Can Use a Forum" award goes to World 36-1 for this game and the sign-ups being his only posts on the forum. Not exactly related to the game, but it sucks that you got killed simply because everyone else was in the main accusation stand-off.

The "Welcome Back! Have a Loss!" award goes to E. Gadd! If I'm being honest, I want at least one award for everyone. You did really well this game, but some jokes and tactics by other players really tripped you up. BDS' last words didn't actually mean anything, and 36 was just trying to trip up the wolves with confusion. Still, you played really well this game, the wolves were just both very experienced.

The "Wait, There's a Night 1?" award goes to Xiao and Olimar12345. Irl werewolf is a very different beast from forum werewolf. Any discussion, even with little to no info available, is extremely valuable. Never forget there's a Night 1. Never Forget...TM

The "Managed to Get Voted at Night" award goes to TheZeldaPianist. sO sUs tHaT hE wAs VoTeD aT nIgHt. I'm grasping at straws...

And that's it! Everyone received an award! It was quite an adventure, glad to have made it possible. Now someone else host a game, I haven't gotten to actually play in so long.

A# Minor

Quote from: XiaoMigros on August 07, 2023, 05:13:48 AMwelp, i tried

Edit: yay, I got insta'd for no apparent reason XD
hey! listen!! ⬆️

haha get drowned
[close]

I unintentionally set an avatar that matches my custom title (Termina Tango) and now I don't want to post

XiaoMigros

Thanks for hosting THC! It was nice of you to take the time to manage and run this game, and I think you did so quite well ;D

As soon as day 2 came around I could tell things were gonna end pretty soon, but it's nice to know my initial suspicions pretty much turned out to be true... even if I turned on A# later on because they just seemed to be acting weird lol

Special thanks to Kaiveran who made such long and confusing posts to read that I just kinda went along with whatever they said. In hindsight I should've accused them of something, instead of being afraid of lambastation.
Then again, there wouldnt have been much to accuse them of, besides them also having weird vibes like tzp (funny how that happens huh)

Thanks also to BDS, your analysis posts were super insightful and your comments really helped my decision making in the game. It was nice playing alongside you

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: XiaoMigros on August 07, 2023, 06:41:59 AMThanks for hosting THC! It was nice of you to take the time to manage and run this game, and I think you did so quite well ;D
Thanks!

E. Gadd Industries

Well, I called TZP being a wolf from near the very start > : ) if only I'd stuck with it

EDIT: Also I'm gonna go ahead and tell people I've got a BotW-themed game cooking if people are interested :0
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

A# Minor

Quote from: mikey on September 02, 2017, 11:03:11 AMtfw when you metaread heavily suspect BDS Kaiveran like a champ but you screw up and still want to go for E Gadd Xiao

Go ahead and count me in for your BotW game, I'll be that character who is actually somewhat useful XD

But anyway, that was a ton of fun and definitely worth the sleepless nights. Definitely planning on playing again sometime!
hey! listen!! ⬆️

haha get drowned
[close]

I unintentionally set an avatar that matches my custom title (Termina Tango) and now I don't want to post

BlackDragonSlayer

I'll post host sign-ups after I get on my computer!!!
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

A# Minor

OK, well you know who will be stalking the forums for the rest of the week XDD
hey! listen!! ⬆️

haha get drowned
[close]

TheZeldaPianist275

Totally agree with Xiao. Thanks THC--you did great, especially for someone singlehandedly reviving TWG. I really enjoyed myself, and I'm very grateful to have had another opportunity to play with you all!

-Waking up at 6:30 to a PM from Kaiveran saying "IF YOU'RE AWAKE DROP THE HAMMER ON A# AND WE WIN" might be the goofiest way I have ever won a TWG hahaha. That was way more than I expected to happen while I was asleep--4 pages of posts!

-For E. Gadd's benefit, A# and myself giving near-identical thoughts on BDS truly was total happenstance! Because Kaiveran hadn't been around, I was feeling pretty unsure about functioning as a solo wolf team, and your misread here was the first really lucky break I got, because it enabled me to start seeding some pushback against you publicly, and also to A# privately.

-Speaking of A# Minor--excellent job! I think you did a great job; certainly better than my first few games, which were rife with catastrophic mistakes. I hope you stick around and that I get a chance to play with you again!

-E. Gadd absolutely deserves the human MVP. Honestly, for all that people seemed to dislike my early D1 vote for Olimar, E. Gadd was far more aggressive than I was, just in the sense that he was jockeying for anyone to slip up on the side. I realized a little late that I was going to have to be a lot more careful about what I said. I stand by what I said that your BDS-wolfing logic was a little circular, but you were absolutely right to pick up on the fact that my comments to you in PMs and in the main thread didn't quite match. That partially was because I could make an argument for both cases as a human, but also because I wasn't thinking rigorously enough to make sure that the progression of my thought was reasonable for a human. So kudos to you for forcing everyone to think a bit harder!

-Once Kaiveran showed up, I had a genuinely excellent wolf partner. Having double-digit numbers of forum posts but something like 20(!) years of experience is sneaky, and I think it made a lot of people underestimate you, at least at first. For everyone else's benefit, the deadhanding PM with E. Gadd and myself was all Kai's idea, and that stunt was responsible for drawing up the final battle lines.

-Xiao, sorry you felt like people were prickish toward you this game! For the record I think your gut was good from the start (I think you were the first one to float Kai and me as a wolf possibility?), and that if you had fought a little harder to articulate why you felt we were suspicious that the humans would have stood a very good chance of pulling out the win. I hope you come back for another game!

-Happy late birthday, E. Gadd!

-BDS--very sorry to axe you night 1. I know you were really looking forward to playing. Looking forward to next time bro.

-As far as the balance of this game goes, I really think that it was pretty wolf-skewed. Having only one mislynch is pretty ruthless and I'm not surprised it ended up the way it did. If we run another 8 player game with the same numbers, I think it would be wise to limit the info the wolf team gets in some way.

All in all, I would say this was an incredible way to bring back a great tradition, and I hope it keeps momentum! I know TWC doesn't really exist anymore, but I say full steam ahead, once there's a rough head count, and if everyone is down to play again in a few days. Like E. Gadd, I would be very interested in hosting! Also, my best friend loves playing games like this irl and I've told him that forum TWG is experiencing a minor revival right now. He would play, I think, and I'd expect him to not be an inactivity risk.

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on August 07, 2023, 10:51:55 AM-For E. Gadd's benefit, A# and myself giving near-identical thoughts on BDS truly was total happenstance! Because Kaiveran hadn't been around, I was feeling pretty unsure about functioning as a solo wolf team, and your misread here was the first really lucky break I got, because it enabled me to start seeding some pushback against you publicly, and also to A# privately.
I figured it was happenstance, yeah, but still an amusing thing to have happened early on in the game. :)

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on August 07, 2023, 10:51:55 AM-E. Gadd absolutely deserves the human MVP. Honestly, for all that people seemed to dislike my early D1 vote for Olimar, E. Gadd was far more aggressive than I was, just in the sense that he was jockeying for anyone to slip up on the side. I realized a little late that I was going to have to be a lot more careful about what I said. I stand by what I said that your BDS-wolfing logic was a little circular, but you were absolutely right to pick up on the fact that my comments to you in PMs and in the main thread didn't quite match. That partially was because I could make an argument for both cases as a human, but also because I wasn't thinking rigorously enough to make sure that the progression of my thought was reasonable for a human. So kudos to you for forcing everyone to think a bit harder!
Truth be told I enjoy taking to PMs in these games because it's interesting to hear what people have to say that they perhaps aren't willing to say to the whole group, and it also is great for testing people as I did.

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on August 07, 2023, 10:51:55 AM-Once Kaiveran showed up, I had a genuinely excellent wolf partner. Having double-digit numbers of forum posts but something like 20(!) years of experience is sneaky, and I think it made a lot of people underestimate you, at least at first. For everyone else's benefit, the deadhanding PM with E. Gadd and myself was all Kai's idea, and that stunt was responsible for drawing up the final battle lines.
Seeing that you were both wolves, that was indeed a brilliant play :)

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on August 07, 2023, 10:51:55 AM-Xiao, sorry you felt like people were prickish toward you this game! For the record I think your gut was good from the start (I think you were the first one to float Kai and me as a wolf possibility?), and that if you had fought a little harder to articulate why you felt we were suspicious that the humans would have stood a very good chance of pulling out the win. I hope you come back for another game!
I still feel really bad about that... I'll definitely be more tight in screening my posts not only for strategy but for interpretation before posting moving forward. Hopefully I didn't discourage you from playing again :(

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on August 07, 2023, 10:51:55 AM-Happy late birthday, E. Gadd!
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on August 07, 2023, 10:51:55 AMThanks THC--you did great, especially for someone singlehandedly reviving TWG.
Aw, shucks. It's such a fun game to play and I mostly did it in the hopes other people would start hosting so I could play again and I definitely have a lot more experience both playing and hosting than I used to. I ran like 13 games over with the A-Daj-io Peeps. I'm honestly surprised how few games ran since I left, it seems to have died out right after I was gone.

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on August 07, 2023, 10:51:55 AM-Speaking of A# Minor--excellent job! I think you did a great job; certainly better than my first few games, which were rife with catastrophic mistakes. I hope you stick around and that I get a chance to play with you again!
I completely agree. In my second game, I had a special role and claimed so I wouldn't be lynched. You did a great job, A#! I'm excited to see you play and learn more.

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on August 07, 2023, 10:51:55 AM-As far as the balance of this game goes, I really think that it was pretty wolf-skewed. Having only one mislynch is pretty ruthless and I'm not surprised it ended up the way it did. If we run another 8 player game with the same numbers, I think it would be wise to limit the info the wolf team gets in some way.
To be fair, I literally just copied this from an older game. I figured completely vanilla would be a great starting place for new players, and I love a good electric boogaloo.

BlackDragonSlayer

Brief thoughts on the game:

- I am 0% surprised I was the first one wolfed :P The only reasons why that wouldn't happen were if the wolves were trying to play some super convoluted mind games or they genuinely forgor :skull:

- Gadd got caught up on some extraneous facts like my meme reference final words, and the fact that Xiao had played IRL werewolf before. Ultimately, it probably didn't have an effect on the end results, but something to be aware of for future games.

- Both wolves being on the Olimar lynch was super risky, especially because it felt like both them were pushing the lynch a bit too hard for a D1 lynch. When talking with THC behind the scenes, I thought this would've been the point where the suspicion on TZP snowballed and the wolves' best bet was damage control to try and get Kaiveran through the rest of the game.

- In the last phase, I'm surprised that (in response to Kaiveran) Xiao didn't bring up the fact that the wolves had no reason to wolf rush if both the lynch candidates were human (a botched wolf rush would be worse for the wolves then just letting things play out normally). I feel like that would've revealed some of the cracks in Kaiveran's logic and turned more suspicion onto Kaiveran.

- PM shenanigans were interesting, but ultimately I felt like they weren't too great of an indicator of alignment (for this specific game, at least) either way since, even before the game, people were clearly itching to do some PM shenanigans.

- Xiao being involved in the final lynch vote wasn't an ending I expected.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Kaiveran

I might put in some more detailed thoughts later, but WOW.

Like, this was always going to be wolfsided, but I'm honestly shocked I pulled off that heist D2. I've never been a high-improv person and have never been one to drop my whole-game-perspective townie mask entirely in favor of just kicking up dust in the moment.

Most of that was down to legitimate IRL time constraints, but still, I was fully expecting to die D2 and have Zelda (dissociated from me due to the deadhanding gambit) go long.

So yeah, I'll take this welcome surprise. Still, I don't understand how working adults play with these deadlines, let alone shorter ones (36h/12h) with ten times the posts. Which is why I stopped playing on MU, honestly. Lemmy's Last Sheet gameplay with Giraffe Boards deadlines (4-5d/2d) is the ideal incarnation of this game for me. But I understand I'm a voice shouting alone in the wilderness on that front.

Might do more detailed commentary later, ask any questions you might have in the meantime!
~ Kai Lugheidh | http://pronoun.is/ey ~

XiaoMigros

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on August 07, 2023, 10:51:55 AM-Xiao, sorry you felt like people were prickish toward you this game! For the record I think your gut was good from the start (I think you were the first one to float Kai and me as a wolf possibility?), and that if you had fought a little harder to articulate why you felt we were suspicious that the humans would have stood a very good chance of pulling out the win. I hope you come back for another game!
I think I was the first, and maybe even the only one to suggest both of you? im not sure

As for fighting a little harder, I did try, but frankly i just wasnt good at articulating why I felt certain ways about people. The game might have been saved otherwise, but it was beyond my abilities to do so. Anything else I brought up would have been pulled straight out of my a.. nowhere.

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on August 07, 2023, 12:26:47 PM- In the last phase, I'm surprised that (in response to Kaiveran) Xiao didn't bring up the fact that the wolves had no reason to wolf rush if both the lynch candidates were human (a botched wolf rush would be worse for the wolves then just letting things play out normally). I feel like that would've revealed some of the cracks in Kaiveran's logic and turned more suspicion onto Kaiveran.
Kaiveran's logic had been far too much for me to digest since their very first analysis post. I just wasn't really able to follow anything they were saying the whole game. This did in part lead to me suspecting them, also because E Gadd seemed to agree with them without too much question (initially, and then towards the end again as well). And at that point in the game I was a little too focused on A# Minor, though I did seriously consider asking Kaiveran why not to go for tzp instead. I think I just got too caught up in the moment...