LeviR.star's "Too Hot To Handle" Project Sheets

Started by LeviR.star, August 09, 2023, 06:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

Hello, updaters! Just my luck, I have several sheets that fit this theme. Here are my two personal favorite "hot" sheets:

470th

[NDS] Kirby: Squeak Squad - "Vocal Volcano"

461st

[PC] Annalynn - "Lava Factory"

Here is the source for Lava Factory's "Round Clear" fanfare

This is exciting, I've been aching for another special project for a while now. Here's to hoping it goes well! :D
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Francesca

Kirby: Squeak Squad - "Vocal Volcano"
  • I hear the verses in m9, 11, 13, 15, 19, 21 and 23 as a quarter and then an eighth, like this:
    You cannot view this attachment.
    I can see why you'd prioritize the chords in m17, though
Annalynn - "Lava Factory"
  • There are currently no double barlines indicating different parts, and I feel like one would fit at the end of m10
  • I hear grace notes in the bassline in m13, 15, 17 19, 21, 23 and 25. Is there maybe a reason you didn't add those?

Bloop

Vocal Volcano
-m2 and on: Maybe you can add a single note on every third 8th in the L.H., to imitate the timpani/percussion part a bit more? (so a 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 2 rhythm)
-m6 and 16 (and 24): Maybe you can start the glissando on beat 4 at the E instead of the A? It's a bit more comfortable to play than to suddenly jump up to the A, and it extends the amount of possible glissando a little bit.
-m17 and on: The accents in the L.H. arpeggios are a nice idea, but I feel like it makes the arpeggios a lot harder to play for quite a small effect. Maybe you can just leave them out? Most of these accents are in the R.H. as well anyway
-m24: Not necessarily impossible, but combining the R.H. glissando with the L.H. arpeggio makes the transition to m25 quite hard: stopping the arpeggio at beat 4.5 maybe fixes that issue a little bit.
-m27 and m29: The standard ostinato starts on beat 2 in these bars, but maybe you can make m26 and m28 a 5/4 measure instead and put the R.H. chords on beat 5 of those bars?

LeviR.star

Quote from: Bloop on August 15, 2023, 05:36:36 AMVocal Volcano
-m2 and on: Maybe you can add a single note on every third 8th in the L.H., to imitate the timpani/percussion part a bit more? (so a 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 2 rhythm)
-m6 and 16 (and 24): Maybe you can start the glissando on beat 4 at the E instead of the A? It's a bit more comfortable to play than to suddenly jump up to the A, and it extends the amount of possible glissando a little bit.
-m17 and on: The accents in the L.H. arpeggios are a nice idea, but I feel like it makes the arpeggios a lot harder to play for quite a small effect. Maybe you can just leave them out? Most of these accents are in the R.H. as well anyway
-m24: Not necessarily impossible, but combining the R.H. glissando with the L.H. arpeggio makes the transition to m25 quite hard: stopping the arpeggio at beat 4.5 maybe fixes that issue a little bit.
-m27 and m29: The standard ostinato starts on beat 2 in these bars, but maybe you can make m26 and m28 a 5/4 measure instead and put the R.H. chords on beat 5 of those bars?

- sorry, what is it you would like me to do? Could you please produce a screenshot to demonstrate what you're suggesting?
- I don't get why it's needed for m. 24, but sure. Do you want me also to lower the glissando in m. 2 to match the next three?
- you got it, I'll remove them. Felt pretty unsatisfied with them myself, if I'm being honest
- since I understand that you want the last 16th dropped out, I'll put a set of parentheses around it to let the performer know it's optional
- yeah, that looks better, I'll do it

Quote from: Francesca on August 11, 2023, 11:18:06 PMKirby: Squeak Squad - "Vocal Volcano"
  • I hear the verses in m9, 11, 13, 15, 19, 21 and 23 as a quarter and then an eighth, like this:
    I can see why you'd prioritize the chords in m17, though

- well I'll be damned, I've been listening to Vocal Volcano since I was in elementary school and never heard that rhythm, though it's clear to me now that it's in there after all. Thank you for bringing this to my attention

Quote from: Francesca on August 11, 2023, 11:18:06 PMAnnalynn - "Lava Factory"
  • There are currently no double barlines indicating different parts, and I feel like one would fit at the end of m10
  • I hear grace notes in the bassline in m13, 15, 17 19, 21, 23 and 25. Is there maybe a reason you didn't add those?

- generally speaking, I reserve double barlines for intros that aren't looped back to, certain key/meter changes, and significant tonal shifts in the music. That is to say, I'm not sure m. 10 or anywhere else in the sheet is the right spot for that
- I see what's going on, I had mistaken the figure in beat 3 of those LH spots as two 16ths instead of a grace note into a staccato'd 8th. That said, I hear no such grace note in m. 19, which already has a grace note in it

Thank you both for taking a look at my sheets. The files are updated.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

XiaoMigros

Quote from: LeviR.star on August 16, 2023, 07:30:27 PM- sorry, what is it you would like me to do? Could you please produce a screenshot to demonstrate what you're suggesting?

Pretty sure they mean something like this:

Bloop

Quote from: LeviR.star on August 16, 2023, 07:30:27 PM- sorry, what is it you would like me to do? Could you please produce a screenshot to demonstrate what you're suggesting?
What Xiao posted yeah, though you could choose to keep the top octave or bottom octave too instead of changing between them like in Xiao's pic.

Quote from: LeviR.star on August 16, 2023, 07:30:27 PM- I don't get why it's needed for m. 24, but sure. Do you want me also to lower the glissando in m. 2 to match the next three?
I mentioned m24 for consistency, but I forgot there was one in m2 as well, so for consistency: yes, m2 too :p

Also, don't know if it's just my file, but the time signatures in m26-29 aren't showing up for some reason?

LeviR.star

Quote from: Bloop on August 17, 2023, 11:17:13 AM- What Xiao posted yeah, though you could choose to keep the top octave or bottom octave too instead of changing between them like in Xiao's pic.
- I mentioned m24 for consistency, but I forgot there was one in m2 as well, so for consistency: yes, m2 too :p
- Also, don't know if it's just my file, but the time signatures in m26-29 aren't showing up for some reason?

- I think I came up with something that will work. How does that look?
- okay then
- ahh, I know what went wrong there; fixed!

Thanks, you two!

Bloop

Awesome, then I'll approve of Vocal Volcano!

Kricketune54

Lava Factory
• m18 beat 2.0 RH sounds like full quarter no staccato
• You could add the beat 3 rhythm to beat 2 in m29

Round Clear
• m1 LH beat 3.5 sounds like it's graced and that current 3.75 is an eighth/staccato eighth note

LeviR.star

Quote from: Kricketune54 on August 21, 2023, 09:51:36 AMLava Factory
• m18 beat 2.0 RH sounds like full quarter no staccato
• You could add the beat 3 rhythm to beat 2 in m29

Round Clear
• m1 LH beat 3.5 sounds like it's graced and that current 3.75 is an eighth/staccato eighth note

- not sure if you misspoke or not, but I assume you meant to say that beat 2.5 is a sustained 8th and not staccato'd? There's definitely two notes there, so I'll just change the articulation to a tenuto instead
- could I please get a second opinion on this? I know the performer is capable of playing the pattern on beat 2, and I did give this some honest thought, but I think the music needs a beat of rest before returning to the accompaniment part, so that the transition is a little less jarring
- ooh, yeah, that's the same figure Francesca had corrected me on from earlier in the piece, thanks for catching that

The file is updated. Thanks, Kricketune!

Latios212

Vocal Volcano

Nice work! I think the end you currently have written as a cadenza is actually in strict time. (Also, sounds like an 8va instead of 15ma to me)

Also, in general, I think you could move the ottava markings a bit closer to the notes they modify, to have them float around closer to other staves less.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on August 27, 2023, 07:39:48 AM- Nice work! I think the end you currently have written as a cadenza is actually in strict time.
- Also, sounds like an 8va instead of 15ma to me
- Also, in general, I think you could move the ottava markings a bit closer to the notes they modify, to have them float around closer to other staves less.

- I'll be honest with you, Latios, I quite like the cadenza and think notating the phrase in four measures of strict time instead of one measure overcomplicates things a bit
- went back in and checked this, I can't say that I hear it :-\
- done, I've adjusted them a bit

Files are updated. Thanks, Latios!

Kricketune54

Quote from: LeviR.star on August 21, 2023, 07:15:43 PM- not sure if you misspoke or not, but I assume you meant to say that beat 2.5 is a sustained 8th and not staccato'd? There's definitely two notes there, so I'll just change the articulation to a tenuto instead
Yep mispeak on my part there, meant full 8th, adding tenuto works

Quote- could I please get a second opinion on this? I know the performer is capable of playing the pattern on beat 2, and I did give this some honest thought, but I think the music needs a beat of rest before returning to the accompaniment part, so that the transition is a little less jarring
reexamining, I suppose I don't mind this despite sounding empty there. Let's look for that second opinion but with an approval

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on August 27, 2023, 02:42:58 PM- I'll be honest with you, Latios, I quite like the cadenza and think notating the phrase in four measures of strict time instead of one measure overcomplicates things a bit
Respectfully, I disagree. Listening to the original again, the ending definitely fits neatly into the 4/4 rhythm that's already established and the way it's written now loses the differing note durations of the last four notes. Additionally, there is no tempo variation in the whole piece to really imply any looseness in timing, so it just feels out of place to me (even stylistically).

Quote from: Latios212 on August 27, 2023, 07:39:48 AM(Also, sounds like an 8va instead of 15ma to me)
Quote from: LeviR.star on August 27, 2023, 02:42:58 PM- went back in and checked this, I can't say that I hear it :-\
Checking again, I agree with you on this one though ^^
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on August 28, 2023, 03:10:40 PM- Respectfully, I disagree. Listening to the original again, the ending definitely fits neatly into the 4/4 rhythm that's already established and the way it's written now loses the differing note durations of the last four notes. Additionally, there is no tempo variation in the whole piece to really imply any looseness in timing, so it just feels out of place to me (even stylistically).
- Checking again, I agree with you on this one though ^^

- okay, after giving it some more thought, I've decided that I agree, and have replaced the cadenza figure with what you're proposing
- great! Thank you for looking into that

Got the file fixed!