Latios212's "Too Hot To Handle" Project Sheets

Started by Latios212, August 09, 2023, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

New Super Mario Bros. - Lava Overworld

Note: If someone can pick up on a pattern for the 16th notes in the intro, let me know. This part has always felt free-flowing to me and the starting point I have is arbitrary, simply so that the end of the run aligns with the loop starting.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - As Fierce as Fire

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Latios212 on August 09, 2023, 08:01:57 PMIf someone can pick up on a pattern for the 16th notes in the intro, let me know. This part has always felt free-flowing to me and the starting point I have is arbitrary, simply so that the end of the run aligns with the loop starting.
To me it only felt free-flowing until the percussion comes in and provides an anchor of sorts. FWIW, the sequence data includes 3 extra 16th notes instead of the eighth rest: Bb-C-G.
  • I think both of your key signatures need one flat fewer, I'm hearing C/Db major with a flat 7th
  • Back to the intro: Do you think a crescendo in would work well here? That would help incorporate the build-up provided by the percussion in the original (and also mean that the exact starting point of the 16th-note pattern is less important)
  • If you want you could write the entire RH in treble clef
  • beat 4.5 LH in m6: It doesn't sound as staccato as the other LH staccato notes, maybe you could remove the marking?
  • m8 & m12: Thoughts on including the bahs? Leaving the RH empty here seems a little off
  • beat 4 of m19 sounds like an eighth rather than a quarter note
  • Do you think you could go over m20 again, particularly the RH? While I do like what's written currently, I think you could come up with something closer to the original

Latios212

I've added my second sheet for the project! (And thanks for the feedback Xiao, haven't forgotten - will get to it when I have a chance!)

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - As Fierce as Fire

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

As Fierce as Fire
teeechnically this doesn't necessarily play when there's anything fire-y going on in the game, but there's fire in the title so i'll let it pass hahaha
-m1-2: Do you think a repeat bar for just these two measures is necessary? I personally like to reserve repeat bars if it ends up saving pages, but there's still lots of space left on page 3.
-m6 and 10: There's a bass drum hit on beat 1 in these measures, but there's nothing explicitly playing here, maybe you can add an extra bass note to fill the space? It feels a bit awkward to play too without something on beat 1.
-m13-14: The quick octave runs feel like a bit much, but maybe by removing the lower octave of the Eb's (which are very present in the L.H. already anyway) you can ease it up for the player? They aren't that accentuated in the original either.
-m16: I don't think the brass plays the Db octave on beat 3, it sounds like they're just fading out a little bit.
-m27-30: Maybe you could move the minor/major seconds on beat 2 and 4 in the L.H. to the R.H. if the R.H. is able too? Usually they're right in-between an octave, so it's hard for the L.H. to wiggle in there while
-m31-36: Maybe it'd look a little better to have the lower octave notes in a separate layer as quarter notes? So it kinda mirrors how you tackled m15

Latios212

New Super Mario Bros. - Lava Overworld

Quote from: XiaoMigros on August 14, 2023, 01:12:01 AMTo me it only felt free-flowing until the percussion comes in and provides an anchor of sorts. FWIW, the sequence data includes 3 extra 16th notes instead of the eighth rest: Bb-C-G.
Ah, I think you're right and I think maybe the video I was using is just cut off in the beginning. I hear the notes clearly here in actual gameplay when entering the level: https://youtu.be/6vGOxYkvMLU?si=YsoQiI7LdztBMF22&t=868. That makes me feel a lot better :P

Quote from: XiaoMigros on August 14, 2023, 01:12:01 AM
  • I think both of your key signatures need one flat fewer, I'm hearing C/Db major with a flat 7th
  • Back to the intro: Do you think a crescendo in would work well here? That would help incorporate the build-up provided by the percussion in the original (and also mean that the exact starting point of the 16th-note pattern is less important)
Yep, agreed with these!

Quote from: XiaoMigros on August 14, 2023, 01:12:01 AMIf you want you could write the entire RH in treble clef
I could... but I'm not a fan of how far below treble the D-G dyad at the end of m. 5 and similar goes. I think I'd prefer to keep it, though let me know if you disagree especially with the other modifications to the RH below.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on August 14, 2023, 01:12:01 AMbeat 4.5 LH in m6: It doesn't sound as staccato as the other LH staccato notes, maybe you could remove the marking?
Yep, agreed! Same with m. 9 as well.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on August 14, 2023, 01:12:01 AMm8 & m12: Thoughts on including the bahs? Leaving the RH empty here seems a little off
That sounds good! Let me know if the chords I wrote in feel right, they're a bit strange

Quote from: XiaoMigros on August 14, 2023, 01:12:01 AMbeat 4 of m19 sounds like an eighth rather than a quarter note
I'll add a staccato instead, how's that?

Quote from: XiaoMigros on August 14, 2023, 01:12:01 AMDo you think you could go over m20 again, particularly the RH? While I do like what's written currently, I think you could come up with something closer to the original
These bahs are also a little strange, listening both then and now. I also thought this would be better with an additional chord tone or two but nothing I tried sounded right (and I'd rather focus on these chord strikes rather than the descending voice in the original. Do you think any additional notes with what's written might sound good?

Unrelated, I also fixed m. 17 beat 2.5 LH which is two 16th notes instead of one eighth as I had it before. Thanks for the feedback, updated the file!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

As Fierce as Fire

Quote from: Bloop on August 25, 2023, 07:36:20 AMteeechnically this doesn't necessarily play when there's anything fire-y going on in the game, but there's fire in the title so i'll let it pass hahaha
I also have some recollection of somewhere in the second half of the golden deer route taking place in a very lava-y looking area with this playing as the combat preparation theme but I don't remember exactly x'D

Quote from: Bloop on August 25, 2023, 07:36:20 AM-m1-2: Do you think a repeat bar for just these two measures is necessary? I personally like to reserve repeat bars if it ends up saving pages, but there's still lots of space left on page 3.
You're right, they don't do very much here. Removed them and redistributed measures! (Note: measure numbers from here on will be offset by 2)

Quote from: Bloop on August 25, 2023, 07:36:20 AM-m6 and 10: There's a bass drum hit on beat 1 in these measures, but there's nothing explicitly playing here, maybe you can add an extra bass note to fill the space? It feels a bit awkward to play too without something on beat 1.
Good suggestion, I wasn't thrilled with that gap either. Adjusted to add left hand bass strikes there!

Quote from: Bloop on August 25, 2023, 07:36:20 AM-m13-14: The quick octave runs feel like a bit much, but maybe by removing the lower octave of the Eb's (which are very present in the L.H. already anyway) you can ease it up for the player? They aren't that accentuated in the original either.
Good idea, removed!

Quote from: Bloop on August 25, 2023, 07:36:20 AM-m16: I don't think the brass plays the Db octave on beat 3, it sounds like they're just fading out a little bit.
Sounds good to me

Quote from: Bloop on August 25, 2023, 07:36:20 AM-m27-30: Maybe you could move the minor/major seconds on beat 2 and 4 in the L.H. to the R.H. if the R.H. is able too? Usually they're right in-between an octave, so it's hard for the L.H. to wiggle in there while
I actually think I prefer it as-is, with the left hand reaching in more vertically from above rather than making the right hand ensure the inner fingers land on those awkward intervals when playing the octave melody. This way, the right hand has an easier time focusing on only octaves and the hands don't seem to collide badly despite the closeness, there's room to hit the notes with two hands.

Quote from: Bloop on August 25, 2023, 07:36:20 AM-m31-36: Maybe it'd look a little better to have the lower octave notes in a separate layer as quarter notes? So it kinda mirrors how you tackled m15
Sure thing!

Thanks for checking and sorry for the wait. File updated :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Quote from: Latios212 on October 02, 2023, 04:04:37 PMGood idea, removed!
I actually was referring to all Eb's in these two bars (now m15-16), not just the ones on beat 2.5 and 3, though I'll leave it up to you to decide how much you'd like to leave out ^^

Everything else looks good!

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Latios212 on October 02, 2023, 03:21:36 PMThat sounds good! Let me know if the chords I wrote in feel right, they're a bit strange
I hear E4 and G4. Also, for the last pair, there's a third bah, did you intentionally leave it out?

Quote from: Latios212 on October 02, 2023, 03:21:36 PMI'll add a staccato instead, how's that?
That works too

Quote from: Latios212 on October 02, 2023, 03:21:36 PMThese bahs are also a little strange, listening both then and now. I also thought this would be better with an additional chord tone or two but nothing I tried sounded right (and I'd rather focus on these chord strikes rather than the descending voice in the original. Do you think any additional notes with what's written might sound good?
The bahs sound to me like Fs, which sounds kinda odd here with the Db but they always seem to here. Not sure whether to leave them as Gb or not, but you could move the Dbs up an octave maybe, to imitate that instruments thats fades in towards the end?

Latios212

Quote from: Bloop on October 07, 2023, 10:35:52 AMI actually was referring to all Eb's in these two bars (now m15-16), not just the ones on beat 2.5 and 3, though I'll leave it up to you to decide how much you'd like to leave out ^^

Everything else looks good!
Oh yes that sounds good! Updated, thanks xD

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

As Fierce As Fire is approved!
You cannot view this attachment.

Kricketune54

As Fierce As Fire

• m5, 9 LH, not hearing the Bb, honestly sounds like two Eb's like the other measures of 5-11 (playing octaves)
• m7 + m11 LH 2nd layer, sounds like this is an 8th note length Ab (could keep octaves as you have), followed by a quarter note length Ab. Or was this done to be consistent with other measures of this section?
• m7 LH 1st layer, also hearing an Ab below the Db (held same length), then restruck on m8 beat 3 with rest of notes (again same length). though are you excluding this so it isn't causing the LH to be on top of the RH? I could see this maybe being paranthesed or excluded.
• m11 though, I hear a Cb under the Db in LH 1st layer, which should be playable
• m12 RH beat 4 I think I hear a Db between current pitches
• m29 RH beat 2 hearing the following (I think you can play notes as is):
Spoiler
[close]

Latios212

Lava Overworld

Quote from: XiaoMigros on October 09, 2023, 05:05:36 PMI hear E4 and G4. Also, for the last pair, there's a third bah, did you intentionally leave it out?
Ah yeah E4 and G4 sounds good, idk what I was thinking before. I did leave out the third bah so prolong the melody, but upon looking at it again I think it's better if I added it back in. Thanks!

Quote from: XiaoMigros on October 09, 2023, 05:05:36 PMThe bahs sound to me like Fs, which sounds kinda odd here with the Db but they always seem to here. Not sure whether to leave them as Gb or not, but you could move the Dbs up an octave maybe, to imitate that instruments thats fades in towards the end?
I think I still hear Gb, and I think the tension it adds with the F in the bass is necessary here. As for the Db's, how about just adding the Db's on top to octave double them? I figured this section could use a bit more force anyway.

Updated the file, thanks and sorry for the delay!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

As Fierce As Fire

Quote from: Kricketune54 on October 21, 2023, 04:30:09 PM• m5, 9 LH, not hearing the Bb, honestly sounds like two Eb's like the other measures of 5-11 (playing octaves)
I wrote that in since I didn't want to have the Eb restrike immediately in the RH but still wanted to reinforce the bass.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on October 21, 2023, 04:30:09 PM• m7 + m11 LH 2nd layer, sounds like this is an 8th note length Ab (could keep octaves as you have), followed by a quarter note length Ab. Or was this done to be consistent with other measures of this section?
Oh wow, I never noticed that. You're right about the double strike. In terms of lifting vs. sustaining after beat 2, I think I wanted to keep the octave bass there so it doesn't suddenly sound super empty when it drops out. Think that's alright?

Quote from: Kricketune54 on October 21, 2023, 04:30:09 PM• m7 LH 1st layer, also hearing an Ab below the Db (held same length), then restruck on m8 beat 3 with rest of notes (again same length). though are you excluding this so it isn't causing the LH to be on top of the RH? I could see this maybe being paranthesed or excluded.
Yeah, I'd like to leave them out because the RH restrikes them immediately after the dyads play.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on October 21, 2023, 04:30:09 PM• m11 though, I hear a Cb under the Db in LH 1st layer, which should be playable
• m12 RH beat 4 I think I hear a Db between current pitches
Good catch! I agree, added them

Quote from: Kricketune54 on October 21, 2023, 04:30:09 PM• m29 RH beat 2 hearing the following (I think you can play notes as is):
Spoiler
[close]
Ah, I see, I think you're right about the 16th note melody. I'm not totally sure about the Bb on beat 2 being part of the melody or not. For now I left it in.

File updated, thanks for the review :D

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote from: Latios212 on October 25, 2023, 04:54:19 PMAs Fierce As Fire
I wrote that in since I didn't want to have the Eb restrike immediately in the RH but still wanted to reinforce the bass.
whoops, sorry I did not catch onto that.

QuoteOh wow, I never noticed that. You're right about the double strike. In terms of lifting vs. sustaining after beat 2, I think I wanted to keep the octave bass there so it doesn't suddenly sound super empty when it drops out. Think that's alright?
Yeah, I'd like to leave them out because the RH restrikes them immediately after the dyads play.
Fine with me!

QuoteAh, I see, I think you're right about the 16th note melody. I'm not totally sure about the Bb on beat 2 being part of the melody or not. For now I left it in.
I'm interpreting the french horn solely as the melody in this section, from what I understand, the notes for RH beat 2 is represent the string part, which is not represented in other parts of this section. I don't have qualms about having it here or how you have it, though I only audibly hear that top Bb.

I am going to accept this as is, but if you want to make changes based off my comment, by all means

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Latios212 on October 25, 2023, 04:16:05 PMAh yeah E4 and G4 sounds good, idk what I was thinking before.
Just to be clear, I hear the same notes for the first pair of bahs too

Quote from: Latios212 on October 25, 2023, 04:16:05 PMAs for the Db's, how about just adding the Db's on top to octave double them? I figured this section could use a bit more force anyway.
This works! As for the Gbs, even though they arent in the original, they do add a very fitting flavour for this section.

happy to approve once you get back to me on the bahs