Bloop's "Too Hot To Handle" Project Sheets

Started by Bloop, August 10, 2023, 06:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloop

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Earth Temple
[ZIP]

The name doesn't make it immediately clear, but the Earth Temple is definitely hot

Mario Kart Wii
Bowser's Castle
[ZIP]

cashwarrior1

Probably the coolest Earth Temple in zelda games (in terms of setting).

m11, 19 - I'm hearing a staccato G on beat 1 here.
m25, 31 - Dynamic markings could be moved to the right a little.
m33, 37 - The treble clef, rest, and dotted eighth note are all really close to each other and could be spaced out.

I honestly don't remember this song (or even the track) from mario kart wii lol

m16-21 - This section feels very confusing to me, I had to stare at it for a while before I could figure out what was going on. I don't really have any suggestions but I'll just mention some things for the conversation.
  • The flat sign on the Ab in m17 and m21 makes sense after looking at it closely but I'm wondering if parentheses will make it more clear.
  • The stem of the cross staff octave Cs in m18 gets really close to the top C and I had originally thought they were all connected..
  • I don't get why there's a rest in m21 and not in m17, regardless it's too close to the stem.
  • In general the repeated Cs above the chromatic part feels kinda unnecessary since there's already so many Cs, but I also feel like it may sound better to just put those in between the octaves in the LH.
  • I feel it would be easier if the RH took over the melody in m21 and have the chromatic part move down an octave (it would all be the same chord shape too) so it leads more nicely into m22.
m26, 27 - Is there a voice going F E F E D in quarter notes here or is my brain messing with me?
m32 - The rest could be moved up a little :)

Bloop

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on August 10, 2023, 12:52:22 PMm11, 19 - I'm hearing a staccato G on beat 1 here.
I'm not sure if it's really there, if I really listen closely I can hear something, but that might just be an overtone from the guitar voice. It doesn't sound as prominent as the one in m10 at least

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on August 10, 2023, 12:52:22 PM
  • In general the repeated Cs above the chromatic part feels kinda unnecessary since there's already so many Cs, but I also feel like it may sound better to just put those in between the octaves in the LH.
  • I feel it would be easier if the RH took over the melody in m21 and have the chromatic part move down an octave (it would all be the same chord shape too) so it leads more nicely into m22.
I'm not quite sure how you mean this exactly, at least it isn't clear how notes will be distributed between the hands exactly. The repeated C's in the top part where there to kinda imitate the tremolo of the strings, as well as accentuating the dissonance between those and the chromatic line in the R.H. Moving them down an octave makes them get in the way of the melody.

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on August 10, 2023, 12:52:22 PMm26, 27 - Is there a voice going F E F E D in quarter notes here or is my brain messing with me?
I think that might just be because of the minor second between the E and the F, sometimes those seem to cause an illusion where they switch between notes.

Fixed the other things though, thanks for taking a look!

Kricketune54

Bowser's Castle

This seems pretty solid so limited commentary from me

• m2 RH 3.0 and 4.0 C# is Cn
• m18 RH 3.0 I think there's a G above the C
• It does seem like a lot of pedal marks, thoughts on just putting con pedale at m4 and then hiding all the pedals from view? Not the biggest thing in the world and could keep if you wanted, just noted that there were marks to lift up after almost all of the measures, save a couple places

Bloop

Quote from: Kricketune54 on August 14, 2023, 09:05:48 AM• m2 RH 3.0 and 4.0 C# is Cn
Ah yeah, that was harder to hear than I thought it was. I also heard the D on beat 3.5 should be a Db. Fixed!

Quote from: Kricketune54 on August 14, 2023, 09:05:48 AM• It does seem like a lot of pedal marks, thoughts on just putting con pedale at m4 and then hiding all the pedals from view? Not the biggest thing in the world and could keep if you wanted, just noted that there were marks to lift up after almost all of the measures, save a couple places
I only left the ones in m18-19 in, as those aren't necessarily logical, but I hid the rest of them ^^

Files updated!

Kricketune54

Latios212

Just a peek at Bowser's Castle:
- The lower RH layer in m. 18 looks offset to me
- Flip the lower ties up in m. 26-27 and 34-35 so they point away from the movement between the lowest notes?

And Earth Temple:
- The slur in m. 11 overlaps the accidental
- Flip upper tie in m. 36 down
- Move the 16th rest in m. 28 back to normal height?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Kricketune54

Earth Temple

• Hajime Wakai is actually the sole composer
• m4, m8 RH 1.5 hearing F on top and 2.5 hearing Eb
• m4 RH The top notes for the 16th's on 3.5 and 3.75 are F's
• m25 piano dyanmic could be more aligned with beat 1 (centered under)
• m30 LH 2.5 hearing Eb on top instead of F
• m45 LH Eb on bottom insetead of D
• m46 LH Db on bottom insetead of C
• m49 LH Bb on bottom insetead of B. I think the B on top is an A.
• m50 LH F on bottom insetead of F#

Bloop

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 26, 2023, 09:13:45 AM• m30 LH 2.5 hearing Eb on top instead of F
Not sure if you meant LH beat 2 or 3 or R.H. beat 2.5, but I still hear F's here anyway

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 26, 2023, 09:13:45 AM• m45 LH Eb on bottom insetead of D
• m46 LH Db on bottom insetead of C
• m49 LH Bb on bottom insetead of B. I think the B on top is an A.
• m50 LH F on bottom insetead of F#
these sound so weird but i think you're right
I also changed m47's bottom E to Fn, I think all of these chords are these kinda maj7b5-ish chords. Fixed the rest too!

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on October 07, 2023, 10:58:13 AMNot sure if you meant LH beat 2 or 3 or R.H. beat 2.5, but I still hear F's here anyway
Oh sorry, I meant 3.0. But yes I still hear Eb on top of the LH. Relistening I think there might be some quieter extra pitches in the RH - sounds almost like the Db on 3.5 should be 16th length, followed by a Cn on 3.75

Quotethese sound so weird but i think you're right
In part I think it's due to instrumentation vs. putting the notes on a piano staff lol
QuoteI also changed m47's bottom E to Fn, I think all of these chords are these kinda maj7b5-ish chords. Fixed the rest too!
Oh yeah this Fn sounds correct

• at m27 RH I think the G actually should be below the Db based on the voicing here, so you could move the G down an octave
• Relistening to m28 RH 2.0, top layer, almost sounds like it starts on an Eb/D# and shifts to En? Maybe you could add that as a grace note or too subtle?
• m52 the single note sounds rather quiet, maybe you could make mark as mp or piano?

Bloop

Quote from: Kricketune54 on October 08, 2023, 07:38:54 PMOh sorry, I meant 3.0. But yes I still hear Eb on top of the LH. Relistening I think there might be some quieter extra pitches in the RH - sounds almost like the Db on 3.5 should be 16th length, followed by a Cn on 3.75
Ah yeah, I don't specifically hear the F anymore on beat 3, but the only Eb I can hear is the one I have in the R.H. I just deleted the F in the L.H. and kept the Bb, I think there's nothing else there.
You're right on the R.H. too, never noticed it!

Quote from: Kricketune54 on October 08, 2023, 07:38:54 PM• Relistening to m28 RH 2.0, top layer, almost sounds like it starts on an Eb/D# and shifts to En? Maybe you could add that as a grace note or too subtle?
I can kinda hear what you mean yeah, but I think the effect is a bit too subtle to be added like you mentioned.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on October 08, 2023, 07:38:54 PM• at m27 RH I think the G actually should be below the Db based on the voicing here, so you could move the G down an octave
• m52 the single note sounds rather quiet, maybe you could make mark as mp or piano?
Fixed these too! Made m52 p, this whole section was already in mp

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on October 17, 2023, 12:38:15 PMAh yeah, I don't specifically hear the F anymore on beat 3, but the only Eb I can hear is the one I have in the R.H. I just deleted the F in the L.H. and kept the Bb, I think there's nothing else there.
You're right on the R.H. too, never noticed it!

Okay, so I put in a bit more of an effort listening to this section, and this is what I came up with. The string instrument has a bit more movement on beat 1 and 2. Let me know if you hear something close to this.
Spoiler
[close]

QuoteFixed these too! Made m52 p, this whole section was already in mp
Oh yeah, I just felt like that single note was quieter than the rest haha

Also, m21 RH lower layer the Gn should actually be a Cn

Bloop

Quote from: Kricketune54 on October 19, 2023, 07:55:45 PMOkay, so I put in a bit more of an effort listening to this section, and this is what I came up with. The string instrument has a bit more movement on beat 1 and 2. Let me know if you hear something close to this.
Spoiler
[close]
Ah I see, I didn't notice the pitch bends/slides on the guitar where that pronounced. I did some things with articulations and moving voices around so it feels a bit more intuitive to play with accents and stuff.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on October 19, 2023, 07:55:45 PMAlso, m21 RH lower layer the Gn should actually be a Cn
Ah yeah you're right lol, same thing in m13. Fixed that!

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on October 21, 2023, 07:06:14 AMAh I see, I didn't notice the pitch bends/slides on the guitar where that pronounced. I did some things with articulations and moving voices around so it feels a bit more intuitive to play with accents and stuff
Ah yeah you're right lol, same thing in m13. Fixed that!

Both pieces look good to me, and good catch with m13. Approving Earth Temple