Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Battle! (Team Flare)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Kricketune54

Kricketune54

Someone said they wanted to see Pokémon battle themes recently... and X and Y turns 10 this month

Have to give a huge thanks to The Deku Trombonist on this one, would've abandoned this after trying to put it together for the Too Hot to Handle update if he hadn't offered to help out with accidentals. Learned a lot from our discussions that I hope to carry forward  :)

Overall, pretty straightforward arrangement. beat 4 RH m1 is a bit arranged because it is both hard to tell what exactly is there, and it is capping off a demanding run to begin with. Open to suggestions there.

Other thought, at m22-23 this RH part is the guitar. I had considered doing similar for m26-27, 30-31, 33, and 35 as well, but wasn't 100% sold on it, so I only kept it for m22-23. Open to adding it in if others think it would be a weird thing to just have at m22-23, and that it makes the other mentioned measures more interesting enough to justify the added difficulty.

EDIT 10/14 minor updates, reversed some LH notes in m32 section (easier to play now), also updated m1 beat 4 RH notes, and added some audible Eb's under beat's 1 and 1.75 in the RH of m24.

Bloop

-m1: I hear an F# on beat 2.25 in the R.H. (instead of F), and also an F# in beat 3.75 in the L.H. (instead of G). Also, while combining the R.H. and L.H. here isn't impossible at speed, it's definitely on the virtuosic side of things: Maybe you could make the L.H. 16th's that aren't C's optional? (most clear way would probably be shrinking all noteheads of the 16th runs, and adding full size noteheads in 8ths in a separate layer)
-m6 and 10: You could also write the Gb in the R.H. on beat 1.75 as an F#: it doesn't really matter too much which of the two it is in this case, but the F# might make a bit more sense as the melody seems to be sorta centered around the G.
-m9 and 13: Maybe you could add a courtesy accidental to the Eb on beat 3 in the L.H., as it could easily be confused for an En.
-m17: I hear something like this here:
You cannot view this attachment.
You could write all accidentals here as their enharmonic equivalent too I think. I'm not sure if I hear the L.H. Eb on beat 3.5 or if it's just the bass drum, but if not the bass it helps adding some punch from the bass drum anyway.
-m21: Similar thing about the L.H. in m17 beat 3.5 here, I don't hear a distinct D on beat 3.5 but it helps adding some punch. I do hear An on beat 4 instead of D though.
-m24: I don't think I hear the R.H. En in beat 4.5 here? I think I hear a low palm-muted Eb like in m23.
-m28-32: I hear the L.H. an octave lower here
-m30: Maybe a cautionary accidental for the Cn in the R.H.?
-m32 and 34 and 36: I hear some notes in the R.H. an octave higher:
You cannot view this attachment.
I also respelled some notes in m32 and 34 so the intervals stay consistent
-m41 and 45: I do hear a little bit of the Fb and Bbb in the synth strings in the background, but I don't hear it in the electric guitar hits. Maybe you could leave it as a single note without accent, probably the higher note?
-m48: Maybe you could leave out the bottom C in the R.H. on beat 4.5, for playability. You could also tie over the one from beat 4.25 if you want it too ring on a little longer.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote-m1: I hear an F# on beat 2.25 in the R.H. (instead of F), and also an F# in beat 3.75 in the L.H. (instead of G). Also, while combining the R.H. and L.H. here isn't impossible at speed, it's definitely on the virtuosic side of things: Maybe you could make the L.H. 16th's that aren't C's optional? (most clear way would probably be shrinking all noteheads of the 16th runs, and adding full size noteheads in 8ths in a separate layer)
Fixed m1 RH 2.25 and LH 3.75, and added that second LH layer of 8th note C's.

Quote-m6 and 10: You could also write the Gb in the R.H. on beat 1.75 as an F#: it doesn't really matter too much which of the two it is in this case, but the F# might make a bit more sense as the melody seems to be sorta centered around the G.
Good point. I have made them F#'s.

Quote-m9 and 13: Maybe you could add a courtesy accidental to the Eb on beat 3 in the L.H., as it could easily be confused for an En.
Yeah considering the naturals around it, added.

Quote-m17: I hear something like this here:
Schermafbeelding 2023-12-24 111010.png You could write all accidentals here as their enharmonic equivalent too I think. I'm not sure if I hear the L.H. Eb on beat 3.5 or if it's just the bass drum, but if not the bass it helps adding some punch from the bass drum anyway.
Mostly agree, though beat 3.5 I hear Fb on bottom not Gb. I think I got thrown off because the guitar sounds like it goes up higher than it actually does and flipped some notes around. I also changed the accidentals; I do think I hear that Fb on 3.5.

Quote-m21: Similar thing about the L.H. in m17 beat 3.5 here, I don't hear a distinct D on beat 3.5 but it helps adding some punch. I do hear An on beat 4 instead of D though.
Think there's a D on 3.5 after all, and hearing the A on 4.0 so fixed.

Quote-m24: I don't think I hear the R.H. En in beat 4.5 here? I think I hear a low palm-muted Eb like in m23.
Still hearing this as En/Fb (assuming you meant LH as 4.5 is part of a held note in the RH)

Quote-m28-32: I hear the L.H. an octave lower here
I think this was initially intentional but I think I now prefer og octave

Quote-m30: Maybe a cautionary accidental for the Cn in the R.H.?
added

Quote-m32 and 34 and 36: I hear some notes in the R.H. an octave higher:
I also respelled some notes in m32 and 34 so the intervals stay consistent
Okay. I think there's some octave doubling going on at parts, but I have now matched your screenshot.

Quote-m41 and 45: I do hear a little bit of the Fb and Bbb in the synth strings in the background, but I don't hear it in the electric guitar hits. Maybe you could leave it as a single note without accent, probably the higher note?
If I understand correctly, no accent, just the single top note for these measures? I guess I hear that, and that is easier to play.

Quote-m48: Maybe you could leave out the bottom C in the R.H. on beat 4.5, for playability. You could also tie over the one from beat 4.25 if you want it too ring on a little longer.
Done (removed 4.5 bottom octave). Files updated, thank you and sorry for the long time to respond!

Bloop

Quote from: Kricketune54 on February 12, 2024, 08:22:07 PMYeah considering the naturals around it, added.
Do you think it's worth adding one in m13 too, or add parentheses to the one in m9? As it might look weird to see one in m9 but not in m13.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on February 12, 2024, 08:22:07 PMStill hearing this as En/Fb (assuming you meant LH as 4.5 is part of a held note in the RH)
Oops, I meant m23's R.H. (as compared to m22), not m24. Either way, if you do still hear an En in m23, it should be a Fb too.

Everything else looks good!

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on February 20, 2024, 04:51:13 AMDo you think it's worth adding one in m13 too, or add parentheses to the one in m9? As it might look weird to see one in m9 but not in m13.
Added accidental to m13.

QuoteOops, I meant m23's R.H. (as compared to m22), not m24. Either way, if you do still hear an En in m23, it should be a Fb too.
Ah okay gotcha. I hear that Eb in m23 and have fixed it.

Files updated, made an additional update to the rhythms at m22-23 RH.  Felt like it was a bit difficult and too contrasting in style to do that 8th-2 16th's rhythm compared to the measures that follow, so made it all 8th notes.

Bloop

Latios212

Nice work, always happy to see more Pokémon battle sheets! Especially how they evolve over time. This one's got the usual chromatic 16th run intro and I-bII vamp, but plays around more with diminished chords and diminished octaves which you don't see very often.

Feedback before we wrap up this one:
- Double barline at the segno at the start of m. 2?
- m. 24 - beat 2.5 RH sounds like Fn (same diminished octave jump to beat 3 like in other places)
- It feels weird that there's nothing on m. 28 beat 1 in the RH. Doubles the bass but I think there's a Bb (below middle C) here? Also an eighth pickup to it from the measure before, sounds like.
- For the triplet runs in m. 32/34/36, I think the second note is a semitone higher in each. Dn, D#, En respectively
- Maybe consider lowering the Fb at the end of m. 41 an octave to make it easier to play? Same for m. 45
- Last measure: the LH in the second half sounds like it should be an octave down similar to the intro
- The D.S. could be moved right a bit.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Radiak488417

In m44-47, I'm pretty sure the middle RH notes are all actually tritones instead of 4ths/5ths. That's all I've got I think!

Kricketune54

Quote from: Latios212 on March 06, 2024, 04:33:35 PMNice work, always happy to see more Pokémon battle sheets! Especially how they evolve over time. This one's got the usual chromatic 16th run intro and I-bII vamp, but plays around more with diminished chords and diminished octaves which you don't see very often.
It's interesting enough, and is not that long a loop... yet find me a battle with Team Flare that lasts long enough to hear the full thing...

Quote- Double barline at the segno at the start of m. 2?
oh shoot seems I've forgotten this.

Quote- m. 24 - beat 2.5 RH sounds like Fn (same diminished octave jump to beat 3 like in other places)
Relistening and hearing as Fn, fixed

Quote- It feels weird that there's nothing on m. 28 beat 1 in the RH. Doubles the bass but I think there's a Bb (below middle C) here? Also an eighth pickup to it from the measure before, sounds like.
There's the Bb in the guitar at least on the downbeat, added this Bb.

Quote- For the triplet runs in m. 32/34/36, I think the second note is a semitone higher in each. Dn, D#, En respectively

QuoteIn m44-47, I'm pretty sure the middle RH notes are all actually tritones instead of 4ths/5ths. That's all I've got I think!

I think I'm leaning towards what Radiak has described, thank you both for your input.

Quote- Maybe consider lowering the Fb at the end of m. 41 an octave to make it easier to play? Same for m. 45
Good idea! Changed.
Quote- Last measure: the LH in the second half sounds like it should be an octave down similar to the intro
Hmm can't remember if there was a specific reason for this, but reduced to original octave. Also 3.0, I'm hearing this as a Cn, so have changed this note.

Quote- The D.S. could be moved right a bit.
Fixed!

Thank you all, files updated

Latios212

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 10, 2024, 08:08:00 PMIt's interesting enough, and is not that long a loop... yet find me a battle with Team Flare that lasts long enough to hear the full thing...
That, and I find the soundfonts really grating for this piece... I've never really listened long enough to appreciate it xD

Everything looks good! The note changes in m. 32/34/36 and the last measure are good to go as well.

Time to accept!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot